The Student Room Group

Should I drop out or give it another term?

Okay, so I started in September and although I now feel settled into the environment I'm having doubts. I'm doing a really broad course but I am not finding it ideal. At A Level I got A*A*A but now I feel very unmotivated and unsure about whether I want to spend more years studying

I don't find my modules very interesting, I find most of the work quite tedious - I often try and get away with not doing the reading. I know a lot of people who are passionate about their course and I wish I was. This makes me think that this isn't the course I should be doing. It also involves a year abroad which I am also not interested in doing/worried about.

Uni life itself is okay, but I don't really like the location as it can feel quite isolated with it not being in the city centre. It isn't the city life I wanted. I haven't became close with my friends so I only really have my parents to discuss this with, which is my own fault but I find it hard to open up to people.

If I do drop out, I'm worried about being in debt from next year's housing contract - will I be able to get out of it? I haven't signed anything yet but I will have to soon.

I really wish I hadn't rushed into the University experience, I should of taken a gap year.

Any advice? It's upsetting me to have to make this decision.
Reply 1
Heya,

If you're not enjoying your course and your modules, is there a possibility of you changing courses to a less broad course with modules than you enjoy more at the same university, or switching to a course without the year abroad? That might help to ease your worries about debt from dropping out if you end up signing the housing contract, but it sounds like you're not sure about your university in itself either.

If you do decide to stay on and/or switch courses at the same university, could you have a look into some clubs/societies to join to help with making friends? It doesn't change the city life obviously, but it might help to feel a bit less isolated.

I'm sorry I can't help more, but I would really recommend having a chat with your course advisor/student advisor/personal tutor/etc about your thoughts and dropping out and seeing what advice they can offer. :smile:
Original post by _amanda
Okay, so I started in September and although I now feel settled into the environment I'm having doubts. I'm doing a really broad course but I am not finding it ideal. At A Level I got A*A*A but now I feel very unmotivated and unsure about whether I want to spend more years studying

I don't find my modules very interesting, I find most of the work quite tedious - I often try and get away with not doing the reading. I know a lot of people who are passionate about their course and I wish I was. This makes me think that this isn't the course I should be doing. It also involves a year abroad which I am also not interested in doing/worried about.

Uni life itself is okay, but I don't really like the location as it can feel quite isolated with it not being in the city centre. It isn't the city life I wanted. I haven't became close with my friends so I only really have my parents to discuss this with, which is my own fault but I find it hard to open up to people.

If I do drop out, I'm worried about being in debt from next year's housing contract - will I be able to get out of it? I haven't signed anything yet but I will have to soon.

I really wish I hadn't rushed into the University experience, I should of taken a gap year.

Any advice? It's upsetting me to have to make this decision.

If you haven't signed anything relating to second year housing yet, then don't.

It really doesn't sound like the course is right for you. Do you have a personal tutor at uni who you can talk things over with?

I felt a lot like this when I dropped out of my first uni course. I honestly feel it was the best thing I ever did. I took a gap year, gained some work experience and decided what I wanted to do with my life. I was much happier about my second course, and really enjoyed the course content.

Dropping out isn't easy at first, but it sounds like it could be the right option for you.
Yes I'd say drop out for the rest of the year think about what you want to do you'll need to go through UCAS again but this time you'll know your grades so you know where you can apply to and be relatively sure of getting in. Make sure you visit the places you think you might like to go whatever you do don't make the classic mistake of going on league tables alone for instance if you went to look at Bath (8) and Southampton (15) lots of people if they got an offer would choose Bath just because it's higher even if Southampton felt like a better fit (I did that although not with Bath and Southampton)
if you leave now you will still have 4 years of funding available if you decide to go back you could work for a bit and therefore have some funds for some of the more expensive things uni offers (ski trips or other trips abroad) and apply for 2016 entry or start your UCAS form now and you could get in for 2015 entry if your quick if not go through clearing any place would probably take you with those A level grades.

Make sure you study what your interested in make sure the place feels right it's much more important than people make out and good luck let us know what you decide and what ever you do do not commute​.
A lot of people will find they have less motivation at uni than when doing A Levels because you don't have teachers pestering you to do the work and of course you're living independently for the first time so there are a lot of other things to think about and all of those are distractions. But the way I see it is, you could give it a term and finish the year. Some universities may be willing to accept a transfer, as mostly the first year of a degree course doesn't count towards your final degree anyway and is more about settling you into the flow of things.

And failing that, the uni you're at might let you change to a related course next year too. Try asking about it, explain that you're not enjoying a lot of the modules and so on. If you get a no, you still don't have all that much to worry about. You could take a gap year and reapply for a different degree elsewhere- yes, it'll be annoying and put you behind but there's nothing wrong with that- you could find it advantageous later on, as it'd let you get some work experience and figure things out if that's what you need. I dropped out in first year for multiple reasons, one of which was that I didn't feel I would be gaining a career from my course. I'm going back to do something totally different next year- I would have been graduating this year if i'd stayed, and it certainly hasn't done me any harm.

If none of this appeals, try to find out what sort of modules they're offering next year and the final year (or fourth year too if you're on an extended course). It might seem the first year modules are boring because, well, they're first year modules. They're introductory. If it looks like things are picking up next year, maybe read around the subject to see what they'll expect, and investigate any books you'll be expected to get. If it looks like it'll be more what you're looking for next year, stick with it. It might even be you have less compulsory modules next year and more options. :smile:
Reply 5
Amanda... From what I have read, do not worry about your course being too broad! I have literally just finished responding to a thread from someone who in my view has a course that is too NARROW for 1st year (Genetics.) When you choose some of your modules 2nd/3rd year you will be able to choose more of what you like.

You are very intelligent with those A-level grades. I am intrigued what uni you could be at not to be near the city centre if in halls (cant be Birmingham as Griffin Close shut years ago....) - but in 2nd year could you live nearer city?

On balance I say stay - but its your decision!
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm feeling a bit better today about University but I'm still not sure what I want.

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you haven't signed anything relating to second year housing yet, then don't.

I can't put it off any longer, all the houses are going. I'll be signing a contract at the end of the week :/ If I do decide to stay, I don't want to be left with nothing.
Original post by _amanda
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm feeling a bit better today about University but I'm still not sure what I want.

I can't put it off any longer, all the houses are going. I'll be signing a contract at the end of the week :/ If I do decide to stay, I don't want to be left with nothing.

If you sign a housing contract, and aren't at uni next year, you could end up still being liable for the rent, unless you can find a replacement tenant. You may also incur additional agency fees. If the contract is jointly and severally liable, your housemates could also end up being chased for your share of the rent. Your guarantor may also be chased for the rent. Non-payment of rent is likely to impact on your ability to find somewhere to rent in the future.

As you seem keen to find housing for next year, I guess you're not as sure about dropping out as you seemed in your first post. However, you do need to be really sure you are definitely coming back next year before you sign. You will be able to find somewhere to live even if you leave it until the summer.
Hi there! :smile:

So first of all, I'd like to reiterate Slowlorisincognito's point of not signing any contracts for housing until you're sure about your future with the university. The contracts are worded really carefully and it's such a pain to get someone else to take your place and get your deposit back - speaking from experience.

Secondly, which course are you doing and at what university - if you don't mind me asking? It might be better for you if you have a chat with your course leader as they will be understanding and work objectively with you due to the amount of money you're paying. Also, it might be worth seeing what student support you have available and talk to them now in the first couple of weeks of semester two.

It would very much be worth taking semester two, if only to get a Certificate of HE (this is when you've just completed the first year) as it'll show any other universities that you've completed the first year, should you apply to another one.

Could it be worth taking a gap year in between year one and two? It may give you some time to think and get advice and maybe even do an internship or two in the area that you want to go into? Just to make sure?

It's quite normal to not enjoy the first year of university as most of the modules aren't choice-based. Have you looked at your course map for year 2 - might they be more to your taste?

I too tried to skip reading whenever I could as it didn't interest me. :lol:

So, to take some things away from this post:

1. Talk to student support / your course leader / your academic tutor
2. Consider the second year modules, will they be better?
3. Don't sign any housing contracts

Keep us updated with what's happening please! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you sign a housing contract, and aren't at uni next year, you could end up still being liable for the rent, unless you can find a replacement tenant. You may also incur additional agency fees. If the contract is jointly and severally liable, your housemates could also end up being chased for your share of the rent. Your guarantor may also be chased for the rent. Non-payment of rent is likely to impact on your ability to find somewhere to rent in the future.

As you seem keen to find housing for next year, I guess you're not as sure about dropping out as you seemed in your first post. However, you do need to be really sure you are definitely coming back next year before you sign. You will be able to find somewhere to live even if you leave it until the summer.

I'm in such a densely populated area that there aren't that many student houses that are close to Uni. If I left it till summer I'd have no friends to live with.
Reply 10
Original post by Roving Fish
Hi there! :smile:

So first of all, I'd like to reiterate Slowlorisincognito's point of not signing any contracts for housing until you're sure about your future with the university. The contracts are worded really carefully and it's such a pain to get someone else to take your place and get your deposit back - speaking from experience.

Secondly, which course are you doing and at what university - if you don't mind me asking? It might be better for you if you have a chat with your course leader as they will be understanding and work objectively with you due to the amount of money you're paying. Also, it might be worth seeing what student support you have available and talk to them now in the first couple of weeks of semester two.

It would very much be worth taking semester two, if only to get a Certificate of HE (this is when you've just completed the first year) as it'll show any other universities that you've completed the first year, should you apply to another one.

Could it be worth taking a gap year in between year one and two? It may give you some time to think and get advice and maybe even do an internship or two in the area that you want to go into? Just to make sure?

It's quite normal to not enjoy the first year of university as most of the modules aren't choice-based. Have you looked at your course map for year 2 - might they be more to your taste?

I too tried to skip reading whenever I could as it didn't interest me. :lol:

So, to take some things away from this post:

1. Talk to student support / your course leader / your academic tutor
2. Consider the second year modules, will they be better?
3. Don't sign any housing contracts

Keep us updated with what's happening please! :smile:

I don't really want to say what course because I have another account on here so I want to remain anonymous. But, I go to University of Birmingham.

And thank you for the advice, I'll keep it in mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _amanda
I'm in such a densely populated area that there aren't that many student houses that are close to Uni. If I left it till summer I'd have no friends to live with.

You've got to decide if that is more of a priority than having to potentially pay 6+ months rent and losing your deposit because you can't get out of your contract. If you care about your friends, definitely don't sign a contract where you are jointly and severally liable, as they could end up being chased for your share of the rent if you can't pay. If you don't pay, you will struggle to find rental properties in the future.

There are ways out of this- usually by finding someone to take over your tenancy- but you may still lose your deposit.

At the moment it does sound very much like you've changed your mind and want to be at uni next year. If you really wanted to drop out, the idea of signing a rental contract at this stage wouldn't be something you wanted to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending