The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Changing course?

Basically I've been offered a place for 2016 (deferred entry) on the ucl history of art course. I'm really happy and plan to firm it, however I've recently started thinking I'd prefer to do the joint philosophy and history of art ba. I've heard it's possible to change course early in first year, but this one is pretty competitive so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to do so (or does it not really matter once you've got your foot in the door?). Does anyone now how likely they'll be to let me on the course. Basically I was wandering whether anybody out there has/knows of someone who has tried and succeeded/failed miserably to switch courses at ucl. Was it relatively straightforward? Need I re-apply next year? Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mariaellie
Basically I've been offered a place for 2016 (deferred entry) on the ucl history of art course. I'm really happy and plan to firm it, however I've recently started thinking I'd prefer to do the joint philosophy and history of art ba. I've heard it's possible to change course early in first year, but this one is pretty competitive so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to do so (or does it not really matter once you've got your foot in the door?). Does anyone now how likely they'll be to let me on the course. Basically I was wandering whether anybody out there has/knows of someone who has tried and succeeded/failed miserably to switch courses at ucl. Was it relatively straightforward? Need I re-apply next year? Thanks

You would need to meet the entry requirements for the new course. So if they ask for certain grades or subjects you must ensure that you meet those fully. Even so, it's not guaranteed that you will be able to swap.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by mariaellie

hi! i'm doing hoa at ucl :smile:
you can try and change but theres only like 4 people doing the joint in my year so even if you have the grades it may be next to impossible to switch whilst there
contact the philosophy department and ask the department tutor or undergrad ad. tutor bc you may be able to change it now as its so far in advance?? i have a friend who changed to philosophy ba from history and said the best thing to do with that dep is to keep on asking a different person until they say you can transfer. that may work better when you have your grades tho.
i was going to change to straight anthropology but changed my mind last minute, but i was offered a place. once you have the grades and they have space its p straightforward.

IF IT ALL GOES TO HELL DONT REAPPLY esp if you like UCL theres no point taking that risk plus sticking with the single hons may work out??
i know people studying the joint and the first year is quite dull you have to do all core modules etc etc which for a year seems kinda painful. single hons actually is much broader than a joint, weirdly enough. if you do the single hons you have to do a subsidiary anyway (1.0unit from philosophy, anthropology, history, or archeology) which you carry on to second year and even to your last year if you want, plus you do a language for your first, and a hoa thematic seminar, both 0.5. so worst case scenario if youre set on philosophy you can still do it with the single hons in a lot of detail :smile:

however if you know 100% you want to change contact philosophy and see what can be done and dont leave it till you're here
this is very long but i wanted to let you know the ins and outs! good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jxlr
hi! i'm doing hoa at ucl :smile:
you can try and change but theres only like 4 people doing the joint in my year so even if you have the grades it may be next to impossible to switch whilst there
contact the philosophy department and ask the department tutor or undergrad ad. tutor bc you may be able to change it now as its so far in advance?? i have a friend who changed to philosophy ba from history and said the best thing to do with that dep is to keep on asking a different person until they say you can transfer. that may work better when you have your grades tho.
i was going to change to straight anthropology but changed my mind last minute, but i was offered a place. once you have the grades and they have space its p straightforward.

IF IT ALL GOES TO HELL DONT REAPPLY esp if you like UCL theres no point taking that risk plus sticking with the single hons may work out??
i know people studying the joint and the first year is quite dull you have to do all core modules etc etc which for a year seems kinda painful. single hons actually is much broader than a joint, weirdly enough. if you do the single hons you have to do a subsidiary anyway (1.0unit from philosophy, anthropology, history, or archeology) which you carry on to second year and even to your last year if you want, plus you do a language for your first, and a hoa thematic seminar, both 0.5. so worst case scenario if youre set on philosophy you can still do it with the single hons in a lot of detail :smile:

however if you know 100% you want to change contact philosophy and see what can be done and dont leave it till you're here
this is very long but i wanted to let you know the ins and outs! good luck :smile:

thanks for all the info- I think iIll contact the philosophy department asap, even if it doesn't work out you've reassured me about the course quite a bit! I'm absolutely in love with UCL so yeah you're right re-applying probably isn't worth the risk. I've always wondered what kind of jobs hoa graduates go onto do, I was debating whether or not the joint honours would 'widen my career prospects' in that respect? perhaps for journalism (aiming high, I know) etc. thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending