The Student Room Group

Help with understanding additional years funding help!

Hi

i changed courses after first year to a different type of architecture then started again as a first year. Now in my final year of this three year course (fourth at leeds met). Have become very ill with an pre-existing chronic illness (crohns) so have had to defer this year and start it again in September. Happy to do this and nail my final year properly but very scared about where I'm going to fund it from. If you defer you don't have to pay the fees (I don't think) but I need maintenance loans to pay for accommodation.
Does anybody know about loans having defered and any additional loans I can receive if it turns out I can only get four years of student loan.

or if I can get some because I'm not requesting money for fees?

Any help appreciated

J
Reply 1
You can submit for Compeling Personal Reasons. If you have written proof from e.g. your GP or a consultant, that your illness has prevented you from completing this year, then this year's SF entitlement could be reinstated so that you have enough funding to finish your course.
Reply 2
Wow that's great news thank you, could you explain what you meant by entitlement. As in my current years entitlements? Of maintenance loan and grant.

Thanks again that's made me feel much better!
Reply 3
Original post by jhnlddll
Wow that's great news thank you, could you explain what you meant by entitlement. As in my current years entitlements? Of maintenance loan and grant.

Thanks again that's made me feel much better!

By "entitlement" I mean the number of years of SF funding to which you're entitled. Everyone has a set number of years for which they can get SF (slightly flexible as it's basically 'Length of course - Previous years at uni + 1 year') and once they've been used up you can't get any more. However a successful CPR claim can claw back one of these years and effectively reinstate it, extending the number of years of SF funding.

If you were getting Student Finance before, then if you CPR claim is accepted, you should get the same amounts in your repeat final year as you would have had this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending