The Student Room Group

The delicate stages of a very early relationship...

I've very recently started seeing someone: it's only been a week, but we clicked straight away and have already spent an entire weekend in each other's company, much of which was spent at his place making food, watching films, talking etc, as if we were already a couple.

We obviously 'did stuff' but I stopped him from going all the way, because, as I said to him, I'm wary about boys who only want one thing. He reassured me both in actions and words that he's not just after one thing, and we almost had sex by the end of the weekend, but decided we were both too knackered.

However, now I've had a day or two to think about things, I'm nervous again. I've recently had a couple of 'bad experiences' where I've slept with a boy I've been seeing too soon, thinking things were going well and then things ending very suddenly.

I'm seeing this new boy again soon and don't know what to do; should I tell him I've changed my mind again and want to wait a bit longer? If so, do I then tell him about the previous 'bad experiences'? I don't want to hurt his feelings by making him think that I think he's only after one thing, because I genuinely don't think he is. But I'm just so wary after my recent experiences (which he doesn't know about).

What do you think, oh wise TSR-rians?
Reply 1
Could there be a way, for example, of saying 'I don't want to sleep with you until we agree we're bf/gf' without sounding crazily clingy?!
Just meet up outside the house :smile: go on days out/ dates etc for a few weeks and THEN start hanging out at your homes when you feel comfortable x
Reply 3
Original post by Future African game vet
Just meet up outside the house :smile: go on days out/ dates etc for a few weeks and THEN start hanging out at your homes when you feel comfortable x

We've sort of already crossed this line... I've already spent an entire weekend and two nights at his house. I feel very comfortable doing so, and not as if he's doing it with one goal in mind, it's just that tricky juggling how comfortable we both feel with each other with my (probably unjustified) fears. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
We've sort of already crossed this line... I've already spent an entire weekend and two nights at his house. I feel very comfortable doing so, and not as if he's doing it with one goal in mind, it's just that tricky juggling how comfortable we both feel with each other with my (probably unjustified) fears. :smile:

Even so, if you feel like things have gone too fast, maybe take a step back and date outside the house; its the sure fire way to stop sex happening until you become official. Its good you feel comfortable, but i suppose its up to you to decide what the best action is from here :smile:
Poor guy, if you, as you said genuinely feel he's not after one thing, then what is stopping you? I think you're over complicating things. Surely you can see a difference between how this guy is treating you than how the others did?
You need to be more "active", it's not just about seeing each other in each other's places. Pursue common interests together, for example.
I've very recently started seeing someone: it's only been a week, but we clicked straight away and have already spent an entire weekend in each other's company, much of which was spent at his place making food, watching films, talking etc, as if we were already a couple.

We obviously 'did stuff' but I stopped him from going all the way, because, as I said to him, I'm wary about boys who only want one thing. He reassured me both in actions and words that he's not just after one thing, and we almost had sex by the end of the weekend, but decided we were both too knackered.

However, now I've had a day or two to think about things, I'm nervous again. I've recently had a couple of 'bad experiences' where I've slept with a boy I've been seeing too soon, thinking things were going well and then things ending very suddenly.

I'm seeing this new boy again soon and don't know what to do; should I tell him I've changed my mind again and want to wait a bit longer? If so, do I then tell him about the previous 'bad experiences'? I don't want to hurt his feelings by making him think that I think he's only after one thing, because I genuinely don't think he is. But I'm just so wary after my recent experiences (which he doesn't know about).

What do you think, oh wise TSR-rians?

I'm not sure whether you need to tell him about your previous experiences to be honest: but do you think it would be relevant?

He seems to be quite understanding and supportive, so I'm sure if you told him again how you felt he wouldn't pressure you in to changing your mind. I think the best thing you can do is be honest.
Make him wait. I also went round to my boyfriend's house very early on but withheld sex for a few weeks because I wanted to do it differently in this relationship than I have before. And now I'm confident he's with me for more than just sex.
Reply 9
Original post by shawn_o1
You need to be more "active", it's not just about seeing each other in each other's places. Pursue common interests together, for example.

I totally agree! Having said that, he's teaching me to cook, we're both film buffs, and we've been exchanging music recommendations, so even though we're meeting at his place it's still within the realm of pursuing common interests and creating common ground.
Original post by C_tinie_D
Poor guy, if you, as you said genuinely feel he's not after one thing, then what is stopping you? I think you're over complicating things. Surely you can see a difference between how this guy is treating you than how the others did?

You're right, I can. I don't want to let 'baggage' from past relationships spoil this one, or make this guy feel I don't trust him when really I have no reason not to. He said to me he thought he'd proved that he wasn't after just one thing with me and his actions support this, so I suppose what more can I really ask for? (Rhetorical question!) Thanks for your response. :smile:
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Make him wait. I also went round to my boyfriend's house very early on but withheld sex for a few weeks because I wanted to do it differently in this relationship than I have before. And now I'm confident he's with me for more than just sex.

And may I ask how he reacted? Presumably he was very understanding. Did he feel hurt? Did you explain to him your reasons or simply tell him you weren't ready?
And may I ask how he reacted? Presumably he was very understanding. Did he feel hurt? Did you explain to him your reasons or simply tell him you weren't ready?

He didn't feel hurt, no! He actually said "I don't mind if we wait several more weeks, I just want to get to know you" :h: so yeah he was great about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending