The Student Room Group

What is actually required for a dissertation?

I've tried searching this, but get results for how to how to plan a dissertation, etc, but as to not answer the question.

So, scattered across The Student Room are many students looking for participants for their questionnaires of which they're using for their dissertations.

My questions are these: is one simple questionnaire enough for the empirical aspect of the dissertation?
Also, what is to say that they can't just 'fake' results for their questionnaires and pretend that they've used a particular sample- is their some way that participants' details have to be recorded, etc?
[Note that I am not condoning this; it would be more fun to do it as intended]

As you could tell, I've not got an expertise in the task, so I apologise if this sounds a little patronising (?).

Much appreciated.
Original post by Davalla
I've tried searching this, but get results for how to how to plan a dissertation, etc, but as to not answer the question.

So, scattered across The Student Room are many students looking for participants for their questionnaires of which they're using for their dissertations.

My questions are these: is one simple questionnaire enough for the empirical aspect of the dissertation?
Also, what is to say that they can't just 'fake' results for their questionnaires and pretend that they've used a particular sample- is their some way that participants' details have to be recorded, etc?
[Note that I am not condoning this; it would be more fun to do it as intended]

As you could tell, I've not got an expertise in the task, so I apologise if this sounds a little patronising (?).

Much appreciated.

A lot of people use questionaires, but people often do more interesting things. In my degree lots of people were essentially assistants for Professors helping conduct studies they were already doing, so although they didn't get to design what they were doing specifically, they did more interesting things.

You could fake results (lecturers could do this aswell). For a dissertation, you don't get better marks for findings a significant result, however. It would be quire easy to fake questionaire responses, but not so for other things.

If you did a questionaire that was grounded in the literature and could answer specific questions of importance that you have planned, then it would make a good dissertation. if you just made a questionaire with little regard with what research has been done in the past, then you
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
A lot of people use questionaires, but people often do more interesting things. In my degree lots of people were essentially assistants for Professors helping conduct studies they were already doing, so although they didn't get to design what they were doing specifically, they did more interesting things.

You could fake results (lecturers could do this aswell). For a dissertation, you don't get better marks for findings a significant result, however. It would be quire easy to fake questionaire responses, but not so for other things.

If you did a questionaire that was grounded in the literature and could answer specific questions of importance that you have planned, then it would make a good dissertation. if you just made a questionaire with little regard with what research has been done in the past, then you

Thanks for the response :smile:
To clarify, would it be possible to do just one (with emphasis on just one) questionnaire then- would somebody be encouraged to do more? I know there is quite a build up towards the dissertation, but it just doesn't sound as though that amount of time is necessary. Again, I really hope I don't sound too patronising.
Original post by Davalla
Thanks for the response :smile:
To clarify, would it be possible to do just one (with emphasis on just one) questionnaire then- would somebody be encouraged to do more? I know there is quite a build up towards the dissertation, but it just doesn't sound as though that amount of time is necessary. Again, I really hope I don't sound too patronising.

I didn't do a questionaire, so don't know. I analysed videos from a developmental psychology project conducted by a professor in my department. So that i watched videos and coded behaviours and wrote a small program to analyse the data. That took around 50 hours in itself, and i'd say i definately spent more time actually writing the dissertation (ours were 10,000 words long) reading papers, writing the dissertation and doing the stats.

A questionaire does seem a bit lazy in comparison, which would take little time. Most undergraduate questionaires don't get a big sample size either. I'd personally find just doing a questionaire to be very very boring- that is unless its on a very well chosen topic.
(edited 9 years ago)
I did a questionnaire for mine altho I had a first part of the experiment getting people to generate stuff for the questionnaire. It is enough but depends on what you are looking at
Reply 5
^ Thank you!
Reply 6
My dissertation was survey based. I used three different questionnaires that have been validated and are widely used, in addition to creating another measure.
I wouldn't necessarily say using surveys are 'lazy' (I can see where you're coming from when you use other methods, and to some extent I can agree), but if you only use one survey to assess whatever it is you want to do, then I would assume it is a pretty poor project.
Ultimately, it all depends on what you want to get out of your dissertation and what kind of area you wish to research. I wouldn't advise choosing a topic where you can get away with just using one survey. You have to remember that you're generally going to be writing approximately 10,000 words, and you need to find a lot of research to support/oppose what you want to find, and what you do find.

With regards to personal details: Some studies won't require any personal data, some will. Generally, most studies will only ask you for your age and gender/sex.

Quick Reply

Latest