The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of university? (Final year)

My first semester back is truly shocking. All 2:2s and I really did pour my heart into all these modules. In order for me to get a 2:1 overall classification I need to get 65%-68% in all my remaining modules.
After the first semester modules I am traumatised to say the least. I feel so scared of writing anything in case the lecturer marks me anything below a 65%. Some if these modules are split into 2-3 assessment forms... Even worse group work.

Saddest thing about this all is that I have to work to provide for myself because I'm a line student. I didn't work last semester due to health reasons but I'm so scared because even if I get 65%+ I would have just scrapped a 2:1 with 60.9% etc.

I feel like dying. Graduating with a 2:2 is out if the question. So is it better to stop now?
(edited 9 years ago)
First year doesn't usually count, and when it does, it's not much. You'll be fine, unless the only thing that drives you about university is what you get in the first year.
Original post by Thahleel
First year doesn't usually count, and when it does, it's not much. You'll be fine, unless the only thing that drives you about university is what you get in the first year.

It's my third year!
Original post by IAMchocolatee
It's my third year!

Then try harder? Print the lecture notes.. Sit in the library go through them.. Paint a picture of it all.. Go in depth about it.. Read outside of the subject and have music on you.. Something that'll keep up your mood.

So long as you get a 2:1 it makes no difference whatsoever.. A 2:1 is a 2:1.. Even if it is just 60.00 or 69.00.. Bottom line is that it is still a 2:1
Original post by Binary Freak
Then try harder? Print the lecture notes.. Sit in the library go through them.. Paint a picture of it all.. Go in depth about it.. Read outside of the subject and have music on you.. Something that'll keep up your mood.

So long as you get a 2:1 it makes no difference whatsoever.. A 2:1 is a 2:1.. Even if it is just 60.00 or 69.00.. Bottom line is that it is still a 2:1

I will try harder but please understand that my heart is totally broken and my anxiety level is sooooooo high! What if they mark it sooo low?!!
You only have a few months or so left, don't you?
Reply 6
My first semester back is truly shocking. All 2:2s and I really did pour my heart into all these modules. In order for me to get a 2:1 overall classification I need to get 65%-68% in all my remaining modules.
After the first semester modules I am traumatised to say the least. I feel so scared of writing anything in case the lecturer marks me anything below a 65%. Some if these modules are split into 2-3 assessment forms... Even worse group work.

Saddest thing about this all is that I have to work to provide for myself because I'm a line student. I didn't work last semester due to health reasons but I'm so scared because even if I get 65%+ I would have just scrapped a 2:1 with 60.9% etc.

I feel like dying. Graduating with a 2:2 is out if the question. So is it better to stop now?

If your getting 2:2's - your exam technique is clearly not up to scratch.
It's not a matter of how much effort you put in, it's whether you study wisely, and hit the criteria for a 2:1.

If despite attempts to learn from the mistakes outlined by your tutors when they give you feedback, you still can't get above a 2:2.

Then perhaps the course isn't for you...and you should consider
dropping out. But only you know if you've tried your hardest to amend for your mistakes.

Just saw in the post above that your in your third year. loool ignore what I've said ^^^

Revise...Revise....Revise.. your future depends on it...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I will try harder but please understand that my heart is totally broken and my anxiety level is sooooooo high! What if they mark it sooo low?!!

What subject are you studying?

I do understand. I had the same situation earlier in the year.. Sure the first year isn't so tough but even then.. Getting a 2:1/First Class isn't easy..

So what if they do.. Try harder in the other modules. I went through a seriously depressive state I struggled to attend lectures. The notes were incredibly brief.. I was certain I'd scrap a pass.. and I did just that.. For the exam anyway.. Come the research assignment I knew I needed to work my socks off and get a good grade in that. I spent 2 agonizing days on it.. What was the result.. See for yourself. - Point is: Don't give up for something you're clearly passionate about.

Spoiler

EDIT: If you fail to make the % in one components of the module.. Make it up in the other components.. Similarly if you fail to hit the mark in a module overall.. Make up for it in another.
(edited 9 years ago)

In case you have real anxiety and in case not, does not matter: Seek help! All the help you can get! Go to your University, make an appointment at the relevant places, learn what possibilities you have, join study groups, etc. etc. etc.
You are my motivation.
I'm in bed and it's literally 10 now and I want to read something but I know my brain is off in the evening!

You are so impressive!!!

I really need to read the feedback and work on acing this ****! Only a few more months so I might aswell give 500% everyday -- won't be long until I finish now. :-(

Original post by Binary Freak
I do understand. I had the same situation earlier in the year.. Sure the first year isn't so tough but even then.. Getting a 2:1/First Class isn't easy..

So what if they do.. Try harder in the other modules. I went through a seriously depressive state I struggled to attend lectures. The notes were incredibly brief.. I was certain I'd scrap a pass.. and I did just that.. For the exam anyway.. Come the research assignment I knew I needed to work my socks off and get a good grade in that. I spent 2 agonizing days on it.. What was the result.. See for yourself. - Point is: Don't give up for something you're clearly passionate about.

Spoiler

EDIT: If you fail to make the % in one components of the module.. Make it up in the other components.. Similarly if you fail to hit the mark in a module overall.. Make up for it in another.
Try to get as much feedback on your exams as you can.

Don't drop out - even a 2.2 is better than no degree at all I can assure you.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself as you need to pace yourself in the final months. Is there someone you can work with to help each other with revision?
You are my motivation.
I'm in bed and it's literally 10 now and I want to read something but I know my brain is off in the evening!

You are so impressive!!!

I really need to read the feedback and work on acing this ****! Only a few more months so I might aswell give 500% everyday -- won't be long until I finish now. :-(

Barely done anything myself.. Got a programming assignment due in 3 weeks and still got a lot of it to do.. That doesn't matter so much anyway.

Thanks again! You just get sick of people telling you that you can't do something.. The desire to prove them wrong clearly succeeded.. I landed a 2:1 (63%)

Aye the feedback is important but just remember each individual piece of coursework and each examination is usually tested against different learning objectives.. Understanding them is particularly important especially with assignment-based marking. Provided you fulfill the learning objectives you'll have no issue.. Honestly.. Spend some time reading them.. Make a mind map of it.. Regurgitate or even sing a song about if it need be.. Then do the work and every so often take a break.. Read the work.. Refer back to the learning objectives.. Do they relate to the learning objectives.. If not then is it really necessary?

Getting 60.9% isn't too bad. It's a 2.1 in the end.
I'm lying on the 59% mark right now.
I'm hoping if I get 60% this year which averages me out a 2.1 the Uni will bump me up :biggrin:
Graduating with a 2:2 will look far better than giving up when the going gets tough. You also won't have another chance to get another degree, unless your parents are both wealthy and generous.

Stay, do your best, and whatever happens happens, but it's always better than leaving with nothing at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending