The Student Room Group

So, young people, why won't you vote?

FPTP? No representatives? Protest Vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
FPTP? No representatives? Protest Vote?

I cannot accurately predict the how the future of the country or even my own life will differ in accordance with who I vote for so I see no point. Life is after all akin to a box of chocolates.

Added to that I am not so bold as to claim I know what is best for the country anyway.
Reply 2
What's the point?

like picking the best from the worst. All politicians are the same. The world is corrupt and that's not gonna change.

Disgusting.
Reply 3
I do vote.

But I would really love to see a mixed members proportional system to replace FPTP.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I cannot accurately predict the how the future of the country or even my own life will differ in accordance with who I vote for so I see no point. Life is after all akin to a box of chocolates.

Added to that I am not so bold as to claim I know what is best for the country anyway.

oh and so the guys up in Oxbridge are? dont be dismissive; Your voice matters
Original post by PillsIV
What's the point?

like picking the best from the worst. All politicians are the same. The world is corrupt and that's not gonna change.

Disgusting.

i get where you're coming from but not voting wont change that
Reply 6
i get where you're coming from but not voting wont change that

Neither WILL voting....

so id just rather keep out of it. Let them argue amongst themselves...
Original post by PillsIV
What's the point?

Disgusting.

So vote for one that is different. Vote for one that isn't corrupt.
(edited 9 years ago)
There's a very good argument to be made that it is irrational to vote.

My constituency contains an electorate of 70,000, of which around 40,000 vote. This means my individual vote is worth 0.000025%.

The probability of my vote determining the winner is almost zero.
The probability of my vote of making any difference to the outcome is also statistically insignificant based on the past results; Labour always easily wins with around 50% of the vote.

Voting is an exercise in rational ignorance.

It would be more rational to somehow influence thousands of people in my constituency to vote for the party that I wish to be elected.
Reply 9
No one has the right to place one human being in a position of political power over another.
By voting you signal that you support the system that allows a certain group (the state) to initiate force against another.
Let's put it this way:

My constituency voted Labour during the last General Election.

Who came into power in the end? Not Labour.

Our vote didn't matter anyway. Plus students aren't aware of all of the political parties and EXACTLY what they stand for.

During school around ten years ago, we were taught about the General Election. Scratch that, we were only taught about the Labour party.

I'm still honestly torn about voting. I know I should, but with no political party to trust, I feel that I am personally forced to vote.
I will be
Original post by comptroller

My constituency contains an electorate of 70,000, of which around 40,000 vote. This means my individual vote is worth 0.000025%.

The probability of my vote of making any difference to the outcome is also statistically insignificant based on the past results; Labour always easily wins with around 50% of the vote.

It would be more rational to somehow influence thousands of people in my constituency to vote for the party that I wish to be elected.

What you say is true but rather than not vote, why not vote for a party that wont change much to your life , but shows your discontent in the system (eg voting Ulster Unionist Party if your not northern irish) If many despondent young voters did this then change in the voting system would have to happen as the polls will start to show parties which usually have low numbers of support gaining ground
Because I have a lot of consumer credit debt and if I put myself on the electoral roll I'll have about fifty debt collectors banging my door down before sunset.

If it wasn't for that, I'd be voting Green. Who, by the way, have zero chance of getting into power where I am. Labour all the way in my ends. But I'd still vote Green, "my vote doesn't matter" is some absolute bull****.
(edited 9 years ago)
oh and so the guys up in Oxbridge are? dont be dismissive; Your voice matters

Better than me anyway, I should hope. I can't even run a city in one of those evony style games. The one time I tried I managed to go bankrupt in it.
Politicians are literally pulled from a large pool of rich, inbred, pompous fools who know very little of the lives outside of their own personal bubble.

Pick your poison.
Original post by nexttime
So vote for one that is different. Vote for one that isn't corrupt.

For example the Lib Dems are proposing a policy whereby no political party can receive donations of more than £10,000 from one individual/group. That would be a start in tackling the flagrantly corrupt system we are currently governed by. Reward them for that, and maybe other parties that actually get power will listen. Or if there's a coalition maybe it'll go through. Then maybe one day we'll get democracy back - live to dream.

Better than leaving it to the 65+ 'the Polish stole my pension i'm voting UKIP' crew make the decisions.

If you don't care for the main parties fine, but that's not a reason to screw over the rest of us. Get out an vote - to give your demographic fair power and make the parties listen to your concerns if nothing else.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that the Lib Dems have done more to deter young people from voting than any one event or party.

Also, given the choice between parties being funded by individuals/organisations by choice, or being funded by the taxpayer without their consent, I'd rather have the former.

And if people read that then more won't vote. The Tories are going to get back in thanks to people like you with your disgusting apathy. Nice one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by #Ridwan

Also, given the choice between parties being funded by individuals/organisations by choice, or being funded by the taxpayer without their consent, I'd rather have the former.

Are you kidding me?! What happens currently is not democracy. You can pay political parties on the understanding that this will benefit your interests - its literally barefaced corruption... and you support that?!

Do you think we should be able to "make a donation" to judges when in a tight spot as well? Police?

All donations to parties should be highly regulated and strictly anonymous. We will never have fair governance until that is the case.
(edited 9 years ago)

Ok.

Your vote is not worth 0.000025% of the difference between the parties though - it will be a lot bigger than that.

People might see your vote for a minority party and feel more confident to vote for that party themselves.

Analysts might see your vote and realise that the party you voted for was doing something right and policy could be influenced

Analysts might see that young people are starting to vote again and start catering policies to that demographic. Same goes for your social standing/employment group/postcode/whatever.

Your peer group might see you voting and be encouraged to do so themselves.

Its not just the winner who impacts on how you are governed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending