The Student Room Group

Is Southampton Law School respected among city firm employers? Maritime law?

Do I have a good chance of securing a training contract at a London city law firm (not specifically "Magic Circle" but even if it was an MC firm, are my chances reduced significantly) by going to Southampton for Law?

I also have the option of changing to their Maritime Law programme if I do go there as opposed to just the standard Law LLB. Would you recommend this? Typically you get to choose your own modules in the final year but by selecting Maritime Law, I have to do certain compulsory shipping modules and get to choose one/two modules of my choice or something along those lines. Is Maritime law an enjoyable course in that regard? I am strongly considering to take this as I believe it will help me stand out when searching for a job following graduation.

Or would you recommend I take a gap year and reapply to somewhere like KCL or UCL? The reason why my choices were limited were because I chose science A levels for a different degree but now have decided law and so getting the higher offers for highly ranked unis (A*AA etc) is more difficult for me whereas if I did more humanities subjects I think I would have fared better.

I look forward to your advice as I need to make a decision on UCAS soon.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending