The Student Room Group

Bouncer incident in Manchester.

Hello,
I went out on Saturday night to a club in town which I would prefer not to name for now.
Me, my boyfriend and friend were all having a good night but were in no way drunk because I had work the next day and knew I wouldn't get up on time otherwise.
I ordered 3 drinks for us and after paying I immediately realised 2 of them were leaking because the plastic cups were cracked. I asked the barman politely if he could replace them to which his response was to angrily put one of the half empty drinks into another cup, so I now had 1 and a half drinks.
I noticed there was a man at the end of the bar with an earpiece in who looked like they might know what they were doing and went to him to see if he was more reasonable.. I don't think it was a rediculous request.
He too gave me a rude and nasty response to which point I was getting annoyed and was quite shocked.
After having to repeat myself quite a few times he called the bouncers to kick me out, however I continued to argue my point because I was in no way in the wrong and sober enough to say so.
Two large bouncers grabbed me and dragged me down some stairs out of a side door of the club.
I have bruises all over my arms/ legs and a massive lump on the back of my hand.
My boyfriend and friend clearly couldn't have done much to help.
When they pushed me out the door, one of the bouncers stayed there so I quickly put my hand on the door in case he closed it on me - as they dragged me out I had dropped my bag on the stairs and I wanted to ask if he could get it for me, to which he said nothing and proceeded to grab my arm and squeeze as hard as possible whilst (weirdly) looking into my eyes like he was trying to intimidate me and getting off on the fact he was hurting me.
I guessed this was to make me let go of the door but he then shoved me against a car outside the club at which point I was exhausted after being pushed around and hurt so much and he only stopped when my friend and boyfriend finally came out the door.
I called the police to report an assault and was hoping they might get there on the night so we waited there for over an hour and a half, during which time the bouncer called me and my friend derogative names and taunted us, trying to get a reaction I suppose which is the opposite of what bouncers are meant to do isn't it?
He also egged on other people who were in the smoking area to get them to shout abuse at us.
The bouncer hid his I.d badge and refused to tell us his name - I made a point of taking a picture of him and the injuries in case they fade before something could be done. Surely if he thought he'd done nothing wrong he wouldn't have minded me knowing his name and I.d number.
I'm quite shaken up about what's happened but I don't have much hope about CCTV because I don't think the bouncer would be stupid enough to do all this in front of a camera when he would get caught.
The bruises and scratches all over me are surely proof.
Sorry for the massive story but I just wanted to share this because I don't really know what to do and hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, ever but I know it probably will if he gets away with it. I feel quite stupid that this has happened to me and both angry and helpless.
I am a 24 year old female, I wasn't causing a fight. All I did was ask for the drinks I had paid for and their response is to send two bouncers whose intention wasn't just to kick me out but clearly to hurt me as well. I have never been in a situation like this in my life and I guess i'm just hoping for a bit of support or advise from someone who might have been in a similar situation.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Happens loads.
Always two sides to every story.

Also Door staff don't have to give their details anyone apart from police, sia or employers and they can ask you to leave without giving a reason.
What do you want advice on exactly? You haven't made that clear. It seems you've already been to the Police and taken photos of the injuries, etc.
Reply 4
A lot of bouncers are d**ks, not much can be done.
Reply 5
bouncers for ya
Original post by TheOrder1886

Also Door staff don't have to give their details anyone apart from police, sia or employers and they can ask you to leave without giving a reason.

No, but they cannot hide their licence from display as her post suggests.

Can they also cause ABH without giving a reason? Cos last I checked they can't...

OP just take it as far as possible with the police. As soon as possible too.
Original post by Lady Comstock
No, but they cannot hide their licence from display as her post suggests.

Where did I say that they could hide their license? The quote below refers to what I was saying with regards to what I wrote about the police and SIA.

Original post by Anon42

The bouncer hid his I.d badge and refused to tell us his name - I made a point of taking a picture of him and the injuries in case they fade before something could be done. Surely if he thought he'd done nothing wrong he wouldn't have minded me knowing his name and I.d number.

Also, I would suggest to the OP to use larger size for her text to make it easier to read.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wahrheit
Can they also cause ABH without giving a reason? Cos last I checked they can't...

OP just take it as far as possible with the police. As soon as possible too.

How do we know the OP is telling the truth? We don't.

Who is too say that the op fell causing the brushing then came up with the idea of blaming the door staff, to avoid the embarrassment for admitting she fell due to the alcohol?

NOW I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

What I would do in the situation is to make an complaint to the police FIRST then make a complain to the venue and their head office if it is a large chain like weather spoons or walkabout.

Even for the police first is that they must give you a crime report number [Correct me if I'm wrong] then it proves you're taking it seriously.
How do we know the OP is telling the truth? We don't.

Who is too say that the op fell causing the brushing then came up with the idea of blaming the door staff, to avoid the embarrassment for admitting she fell due to the alcohol?

NOW I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

What I would do in the situation is to make an complaint to the police FIRST then make a complain to the venue and their head office if it is a large chain like weather spoons or walkabout.

Even for the police first is that they must give you a crime report number [Correct me if I'm wrong] then it proves you're taking it seriously.

Yep definitely agree that both sides need to be considered and the police are definitely the best arbitrators of this kind of dispute
Bouncers are inferior scum. They are less beings and are far less intellectually capable. Therefore their tiny amount of power gets to their heads. Neanderthals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I don't know what I would be gaining from lying when I have posted anonymously on a forum.. And I'd need quite the imagination to come up with all these individual details.
Anyway I don't really understand forums I just thought I'd give it a try and ended up getting advice elsewhere. In terms of the I.d, yes they do have to have it on show at all times because it's illegal to be security without a license and this proves you have one, in the photos I've taken he's clearly hidden it which is good on my part because it backs up what I said about him hiding his I.d even though if he'd done nothing wrong he wouldn't have anything to hide. I went to the doctor for a report on my injuries which will act as proof for the police. The bruises on both my arms are in rows which the doctor said clearly shows it's where someone's fingers have pushed into me when I was grabbed forcefully. I didn't fall once throughout the ordeal because you can't fall when two massive men have hold of you funnily enough. I'm feeling a bit more positive about the whole situation because I luckily know someone who is a solicitor and is going to help me put my case together in the best possible way. I just urge other people to stop accepting that '**** happens' and to actually do something about it - just because things happen all the time does not make it okay. I was lucky enough to be sober and remember all the details whereas other people who had similar things happen to them may be drunk and not be able to remember. In any case drunk or not, I don't know why people think that someone should deserve that and think that's a very strange mindset. Each to their own though, I won't be posting again.
Take a few pictures with the bruises and your face involved.

I would personally write a letter/email (I suppose letter would be more formal) anyway attach the photos and write a letter to the club owner, stating your side of the story and express your feelings.

In the best case the bouncers get warnings and you might get VIP access for a night :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by Anon42
I don't know what I would be gaining from lying when I have posted anonymously on a forum.. And I'd need quite the imagination to come up with all these individual details.
Anyway I don't really understand forums I just thought I'd give it a try and ended up getting advice elsewhere. In terms of the I.d, yes they do have to have it on show at all times because it's illegal to be security without a license and this proves you have one, in the photos I've taken he's clearly hidden it which is good on my part because it backs up what I said about him hiding his I.d even though if he'd done nothing wrong he wouldn't have anything to hide. I went to the doctor for a report on my injuries which will act as proof for the police. The bruises on both my arms are in rows which the doctor said clearly shows it's where someone's fingers have pushed into me when I was grabbed forcefully. I didn't fall once throughout the ordeal because you can't fall when two massive men have hold of you funnily enough. I'm feeling a bit more positive about the whole situation because I luckily know someone who is a solicitor and is going to help me put my case together in the best possible way. I just urge other people to stop accepting that '**** happens' and to actually do something about it - just because things happen all the time does not make it okay. I was lucky enough to be sober and remember all the details whereas other people who had similar things happen to them may be drunk and not be able to remember. In any case drunk or not, I don't know why people think that someone should deserve that and think that's a very strange mindset. Each to their own though, I won't be posting again.

Again, when did I say it was legal to hide a license?

What I said was that he doesn't have to give you the details such as his name unless your police or the sia.

Shoud actually read what I wrote before you try and slate me.
The picture I uploaded proves they only have to Produce the licence for inspection on the request of any constable, any member or employee of the SIA or other person authorised by the SIA.

No where does it say they must produce it on request of any member of the publics.
The picture I uploaded proves they only have to Produce the licence for inspection on the request of any constable, any member or employee of the SIA or other person authorised by the SIA.

No where does it say they must produce it on request of any member of the publics.

But it must be clearly visible/in sight. If someone wants to have a look at the ID number on the overtly-displayed licence, then an attempt to conceal this will probably go against their guidelines.
Original post by Anon42
Hello,

But it must be clearly visible/in sight. If someone wants to have a look at the ID number on the overtly-displayed licence, then an attempt to conceal this will probably go against their guidelines.

I'll say this again so it gets through to you.

The part in bold is what I refer to. Members of the public do not need to know the name or license number of any license holder since their not the SIA, Police, employer or someone authorized by the SIA.

Please show me where I said it's ok to conceal a license with regards to door staff

I KNOW ITS ILLEGAL TO NOT HAVE A SIA LICENSE ON SHOW FOR DOOR WORK SINCE I HOLD ONE

F*ck knows why you or anyone else can get it into their head that I'm only referring to the part when the door supervisor refused to provide his name and license number.

Also it doesnt have to be clearly visible. Only in sight. Which would allow the holder to clip it onto their belt.
Reply 19
Just wanted to add that the police did tell me to ask for him name. I understand you can't force someone to give you their name but if he doesn't that's a sure sign he knows he's done wrong. Also he was wearing his I.d but he moved it round to the back of his arm and this is very obvious in the photos.

Latest

Trending

Trending