The Student Room Group

Distinctions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I appreciate your comments, it's just a misunderstanding - I should have been more clear. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the viva.
Good luck to you too.

Original post by Duncan2012
Hi NewsCorp,

Your original post read very differently, which is why Klix88 and I posted the way we did. You didn't mention it was a PhD proof-read, and you did say you had sent the work off for checking after it had come back from your supervisor with lots of comments. I think my comments were perfectly justified given the information that was available. Now that you've added a considerable amount of detail it's obvious that my comments don't apply to you. Good luck for submission and your viva :-)
Reply 21
Original post by slitheryserpent
Warsaw 1944 - 1952

Can you read Polish?
Reply 22
Original post by NewsCorp

In your original deleted post - which I've quoted above - you refer to your "dissertation". As a PhD student, you are actually writing a thesis. You have your terminology wrong, which doesn't help the way your subsequent post reads.

Plus you are giving advice to a Masters student about their dissertation on this thread. Doing what you have suggested may well be acceptable to your PhD supervisor and uni for some reason, but it would certainly not be appropriate for a Masters diss - or an undergraduate diss as you have suggested to a student in another thread (you seem very keen on getting this company new customers). You should at the very least not be offering to refer these students on to such a service.

The fact that a thesis is made available by the British Library after submission is one thing. Losing control of it before submission is the risk. If parts of your work are reused and submitted before you submit, then you are the one who could end up accused of plagiarism. As you are offering to refer other people to the organisation involved, I can only assume that it is a paid commercial service and not a free academic service. This alone should ring major alarm bells, regardless of your supervisor's approval.

You are not talking about peer-review in this instance, so that is not an appropriate analogy. Having your supervisor comment and assist is also not at all the same thing - that's their function. As for picking up corrections from a viva, that's part of the academic assessment process and is an entirely different thing again. None of these are the same thing as sending work out to a commercial proofreading service.

Good luck with your dissertation. Or thesis. Or advertising & marketing interests.
Reply 23
Thanks for the info - there are further distinctions to be drawn between thesis and dissertation - it's not that simple - however, it's a discussion for another time. We all have different opinions - I understand that you may want to disagree.

Drawing distinction between who is doing the proofreading/ editing for you is a very interesting way to look at it - not sure if it can be justified and I'm not as convinced as you.

The original quote was deleted for a reason. Perhaps not a good idea to requote. I didn't requote, as I'm not interested in selling anything.

Laying it to rest, and good luck with whatever it is you are doing.

Original post by Klix88
In your original deleted post - which I've quoted above - you refer to your "dissertation". As a PhD student, you are actually writing a thesis. You have your terminology wrong, which doesn't help the way your subsequent post reads.

Plus you are giving advice to a Masters student about their dissertation on this thread. Doing what you have suggested may well be acceptable to your PhD supervisor and uni for some reason, but it would certainly not be appropriate for a Masters diss - or an undergraduate diss as you have suggested to a student in another thread (you seem very keen on getting this company new customers). You should at the very least not be offering to refer these students on to such a service.

The fact that a thesis is made available by the British Library after submission is one thing. Losing control of it before submission is the risk. If parts of your work are reused and submitted before you submit, then you are the one who could end up accused of plagiarism. As you are offering to refer other people to the organisation involved, I can only assume that it is a paid commercial service and not a free academic service. This alone should ring major alarm bells, regardless of your supervisor's approval.

You are not talking about peer-review in this instance, so that is not an appropriate analogy. Having your supervisor comment and assist is also not at all the same thing - that's their function. As for picking up corrections from a viva, that's part of the academic assessment process and is an entirely different thing again. None of these are the same thing as sending work out to a commercial proofreading service.

Good luck with your dissertation. Or thesis. Or advertising & marketing interests.
Original post by Josb
Can you read Polish?

Yes. I'm not massively worried about the dissertation though
Reply 25
Original post by slitheryserpent
Yes. I'm not massively worried about the dissertation though

Ok. The dissertation is the most important element of your degree, so a good mark is required for a distinction.

So the most important thing is to use several kinds of sources, to create a "dialogue" between them. You will have to cross German, Russian and Polish, political, military and "civilian" sources. All of them are different, each has its own jargon and you will have to explain this it in your introduction.

They however all have a common trait: they are dubious. They come from institutions, organisations or individuals who couldn't speak freely and therefore you will have to check absolutely everything. For this reason, you must try to find as many sources as possible (reports from the Red Army, Wehrmacht, SS, NKVD, Polish Resistance, Government & Communist Party, USSR, press, Memoirs of politicians and civilians, etc.).
Your examiners will expect you to find where the sources (or the people who wrote them) lie - and why.

Many documents have been put online, you won't have to go on-site though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending