The Student Room Group

How long should you stay in a job before you look for another?

I recently got a job, and while it was not in my desired location, I took it to get on the housing ladder. This job is in a location which requires a 1.5 hour commute, and apparently they have had trouble filling their positions as the area is so expensive to live in, and people generally can't afford to locate their due to the wage they are offering.

The pay is not that high, and there is no chance of a progression in salary unless if I take exams which take over two years to complete. I took this job purely because I need experience.

I want to work and live in a particular city where I went to uni, this has always been my plan. I was searching the job ads and have seen my ideal job, in my ideal place, which pays £7k more than I get now.

BUT people are telling me that it is only fair to stay at least two years in a job before applying for another, so I am hesitant.

How long is acceptable to stay in a job, before you start looking elsewhere?
No, no, no, no. You don't owe your job anything other than to turn up on time, do the work, and then go home (and anything else in your contract). The people that are telling you that it's only fair seem to be living in a dream world. Either that, or what they mean is that staying in a job for at least two years looks good on the CV in contrast to someone who job hops a lot. Even then, I'm not fully convinced, and I suppose that point is down to the employer. There is no set-time to stay in a job. If you've found something better, apply for it! Nobody needs to know you're looking elsewhere while in work. As long as the correct notice is given to leave, then go for it. If you don't get it, then you still have the job you're in now which you, as you say, are gaining experience. And at times it can be easier to search for a job while already in one. Honestly, it seems like you're in a desirable position for many viewing this question, so I wouldn't worry too much. Fingers-crossed you get it! Good luck :biggrin: xx
I don't think you should stay in a job for an arbitrary period of time. Generally I suppose people start looking when their job is no longer fulfilling, they no longer see themselves progressing in the role, poor relationships with managers / colleagues, or for practical factors such as location, pay etc.If you've found another position that you think is more suitable and you have the relevant experience / qualifications for the job, why not go for it? It's better than remaining miserable in your current job because others have pressured you to stay for a certain period of time.
You've got ambition and sense. You are clearly not getting paid well enough to justify a long commute period. Like my job now, I'm contracted in, so can't simply leave at any time but once my contract expired, the curtains suddenly open, although I was getting some great benefits from this employer, I wasn't getting paid anywhere near what I dreamed about when I was younger. This employer is big and secure, hence why lots of people get comfortable, but I know other companies offer MORE money, perhaps not as secure, but I know I am good enough to retain my employability through being a good employee!

In my opinion, if you know you can do better else where and perhaps cut your commute time, ditch your current job
apply now, I think it probably looks better to have worked somewhere 6 months or so before applying to new jobs so you have gained some experience from the position and don't look like you're going to race off asap but if this is your dream position just apply, if they ask why you are leaving so soon just say the commute is too taxing/expensive
I see your dilemma. I believe you have three choices.

You can speculatively apply for the job

You can ask for more money from your current employer

Do nothing

If you get the job, then you have nothing to loose by considering option 2. If they say no to demands of additional pay, you have a reasonable excuse for leaving - but similarly that excuse is removed if they do offer more pay.

One thing I would say is don't feel any loyalty to your employer. You should think of yourself as a commodity on the market selling your time to the highest bidder. If your company had to cut its costs, it would not think twice about laying you off.

Stop speculating and start making decisions that affect your life positively! You have nothing to loose by applying for this job.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending