The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You sound like you want more than 'tips', to be fair. Do you mind if I ask what these incidents were that made you lose all your self-confidence?
Reply 2
Thanks for that. Well, it's more for my cousins.
Reply 3
I suffer with extremely low self confidence, and it has effected relationships both with friends and boyfriends.

Mine is not just about my looks, but about my personality, I would end up having a panic attack if I had to phone someone I didn't know....

I suppose this has been due to being bullied and various other "issues" i've had to deal with in my life.

I don't have many tips, just know that you are one of thousands of people who suffer with low self confidence...just try and focus on things which you can feel prooud of urself for. Looking at your signature, seeing very good predicted grades!

We live in a shallow world but looks aren't everything and chances are you see yourself 100 times worse than anyone else does.

Keep smiling, beauty is on the inside aswell you know :smile:
Reply 4
I can relate very closely to you OP, since I've had similar family problems, and believe me, I've had it a lot worse than you. I have a low self-esteem, but I've started uni and just mingle in with friends trying to cover the problems and generally try and enjoy myself. Just try to keep busy and occupied, watch lots of comedy, try making lots of friends and exercise etc.
Leonidas
Death of my father, loss of 3 grandparents, family arguing. A friend dying in a car crash. Urgh, I sound so depressing this festive season.

Christmas is a hard time for some people. :frown:

I can't really give you much advice, having not been in a similar situation, but I have suffered from low self-confidence myself, and the only way to get over it is simply to put yourself out there. Join clubs, and so on. It sounds difficult and even as if you're running away, but it's best not to dwell on the past, whether good or bad. Plan for the future.

Bah, crap post. I'm going for a shower and if I have anything more helpful to say afterwards I'll post back.
Reply 6
Confidence, the lack or having of it, is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Reply 7
dont think it is actually bad advice, nor do i think you being rude by going anonymous is particularly courageous.
Reply 8
Leonidas
Hey guys,

I have a case of very low self confidence. I'm now 16, but when I was younger, i.e. year 7 and before, I used to be a very confident, well-liked, cute guy - nice blond hair, constantly smiling etc. But after several family incidents and puberty treated me badly, I have lost all self confidence...I now wear glasses, just recovering from a batch of inherited acne, my hair has become darker, my teeth are a little crooked and my lose is slightly crooked also due to a bike accident a while back, so now I hate myself...I know its shallow, but I cant help it. I make a point of avoiding people who used to know me when I was "younger and better" so that they can remember me how I used to be. Any tips?

It comes across as you are lacking confidence because you care about what people think about your appearance - this is your downfall. The minute you do that, then that is when you wont have any self-confidence, you should just carry the mentality that you don't care about what others think. Nobody is going to help you with this, you have to help yourself unfrotunantly.

Physically, if there are things that bother you, glasses or whatever, then look for solutions. Contact lenses? If your not happy with your body, hit the gym. Make the best with what you have got, as that will help your self esteem.

You have to realise that every guy gets rejected (I think this is what your thread ultimately boils down too; I get the impression your single.), not every gal will find you attractive, but there will be many that will. So......why do you care?
Giliwoo
Confidence, the lack or having of it, is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If the kid goes and tops himself this holiday and you came out with that *******s, how would you feel?
Read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Discover your ****ing ego and how much better you are than everyone else.
Reply 11
JESUS CHRIST! can't we all get along its the holidays!
Reply 12
Leonidas - sometimes life doesn't go as easy as you want it. Just have faith that life will get better!

Merry Christmas Leonidas and everyone!
I think losing a parent at such a young age really doesn't help with confidence. When my mum died I was 15 years old and still getting bullied and dealing with puberty and all that *******s. To have to deal with such a tragic event and have to grow up so much at an age where everyone else my age was having fun was really difficult and it's only when you look back and see how confident you used to be that you truly realise how much something like that can really damage your self-esteem.

I think it will start to get better for you as you get older. At the age of 15/16 I was really gross looking, then when I got to the age of 18 things got better: I started wearing contact lenses, sorted out my hairstyle, got medical help for my acne and my body filled out. I'm still convinced I'm ugly because I had it drilled into me so much when being bullied at school that I was hideous and worthless. However, I do get quite a bit of attention from the opposite sex nowadays (from people who aren't hideous) and I've had random people compliment me on the way I look. So now it's really just a psychological thing rather than a physical problem.

A turning point for me was when one day I was so fed up with the way I looked that I made a list of all my GOOD points rather than focusing on the bad. When I suggest this to people they often say that they don't have enough good points to do it, but honestly if you give it a go you'll probably surprise yourself. Write down anything from 'toes being perfectly aligned' to 'healthy hair'. It makes you realise that although you're writing down good points that are perhaps only slight, at the same time your 'bad' points are probably only slight.

Also, ditch anyone from your life who makes you feel like ****. I've cut out people from my life who made nasty comments about my appearance because they knew I was insecure and that they could use me to build up their own egos. Now I've developed self-respect and I realise that I deserve better than that.

As celeritas said, have faith that things will get better!
Reply 14
Anonymous
If the kid goes and tops himself this holiday and you came out with that *******s, how would you feel?

WTF are you talking about? Having confidence is something which, if you assume is true, it starts to grow on you. It's an acquired habit. Nobody's blaming him, we're all just suggesting ways out of it you piece of ****.
Reply 15
If you want to get a better confidence. You should exercise. When ever i feel bad. I exercise to so hard that I nearly fall down to the ground. It feels good.
Reply 16
Tibia
If you want to get a better confidence. You should exercise. When ever i feel bad. I exercise to so hard that I nearly fall down to the ground. It feels good.

Hey easy with ****. Don't be a *****. You *****. You make me want to *** you,you sillY ****. One more **** and i will ****.

:biggrin:.

Considering how utterly unreasonable that response was, I think Im justified in losing my temper. Confidence is something you practice when it's been knocked. Nobody was even saying "Oh get over yourself", indeed I thinkw e all sympathised deeply with the OP's situation. But in terms of practical advice, by challenging yourself in situations that you would normally put yourself in, you start to have a better idea of what you're capable off, and thus your confidence grows. But our ****face friend here saw that as ridiculous for some reason
Reply 17
Giliwoo
Considering how utterly unreasonable that response was, I think Im justified in losing my temper. Confidence is something you practice when it's been knocked. Nobody was even saying "Oh get over yourself", indeed I thinkw e all sympathised deeply with the OP's situation. But in terms of practical advice, by challenging yourself in situations that you would normally put yourself in, you start to have a better idea of what you're capable off, and thus your confidence grows. But our ****face friend here saw that as ridiculous for some reason

I have nothing against your post. I just loved your response.
Giliwoo

The other responders are coming out with helpful advice to help him boost his confidence and boost his demeanour, and you come out with that absolute *******s for the sake of it. Why post at all? And how about you stop with the astericks because it makes you look like a prize ****.
Reply 19
Anonymous
The other responders are coming out with helpful advice to help him boost his confidence and boost his demeanour, and you come out with that absolute *******s for the sake of it. Why post at all? And how about you stop with the astericks because it makes you look like a prize t w a t.

Oh tell me how that's unreasonable! I never post here unless I have something I genuinely want to say. Anybody here can attest to that. For you to come in saying stuff like that is completely out of order. It's the same advice I've been given about confidence, and has worked well for me. Let the OP protest if he disagrees you piece of crap.

Latest

Trending

Trending