The Student Room Group

Breakfast before or after a run?

Hi,

I am planning on getting up at 6.00 tomorrow morning to go out for a light 20 minute jog. I was wondering if it is better to have breakfast before or after a run, and what kind of stuff is best to have for breakfast?
As it's only 20 minutes, I don't think it matters a huge amount. If you like sleep, breakfast afterwards would be better :smile: If you eat give it at least 15minutes before setting off
Reply 2
Do not eat an actual breakfast nefore running -eat half a banana or so.
i've heard that it's always best to eat before exercise (obviously not like a feast moments before) as you're more likely to eat more food after exercise as you've worked up the appetite & used energy
You should be fine to go without breakfast as long as you get up and run straight away. Make sure you have something appropriate for breakfast afterwards. I prefer porridge. If you plan on running further it might be worth having a light breakfast at least an hour before running. There is an element of preference to it, give it a go and see how you feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It depends on what your goal is, If you would like to be losing weight then yes jogging without breakfast would be the more ideal thing to do, you'll be digging into your fat reserves on an empty stomach. Eat a high protein complex carbohydrate breakfast as soon as you are back though.

If you plan on eating before you run then eat about half hour before you run so the food properly has time to begin digestion and start releasing its energy.
Original post by JakeyWV
It depends on what your goal is, If you would like to be losing weight then yes jogging without breakfast would be the more ideal thing to do, you'll be digging into your fat reserves on an empty stomach. Eat a high protein complex carbohydrate breakfast as soon as you are back though.

If you plan on eating before you run then eat about half hour before you run so the food properly has time to begin digestion and start releasing its energy.

Fasted cardio being better than non fasted for fat loss is a common myth unfortunately. If anything non-fasted might be better. In reality, it doesn't matter.
Reply 7
Original post by Angry cucumber
Fasted cardio being better than non fasted for fat loss is a common myth unfortunately. If anything non-fasted might be better. In reality, it doesn't matter.

Overnight your body conserves its precious carb stores and leans more towards mobilising fat for fuel, Also with your body breaking down amino acids overnight whilst you're in a state of fasting they will also be used as a source of energy but this isn't ideal for building muscle as you're obviously going to be putting yourself in a catabolic state and be eating muscle reserves for energy.

I tend to find whenever I do fasted cardio for a week or so at a time, I break through my plateau and get leaner than before :/
Original post by JakeyWV
Overnight your body conserves its precious carb stores and leans more towards mobilising fat for fuel, Also with your body breaking down amino acids overnight whilst you're in a state of fasting they will also be used as a source of energy but this isn't ideal for building muscle as you're obviously going to be putting yourself in a catabolic state and be eating muscle reserves for energy.

I tend to find whenever I do fasted cardio for a week or so at a time, I break through my plateau and get leaner than before :/

That is indeed the theory however in the real world it doesn't seem to happen

You probably break through the plateus as you're changing your diet/ doing more cardio. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Angry cucumber
That is indeed the theory however in the real world it doesn't seem to happen

You probably break through the plateus as you're changing your diet/ doing more cardio. :smile:

My diet will stay the same and the amount of cardio does, All i simply do is change my evening cardio to fasted morning cardio
I tend to have some banana milkshake before I run. Or if I'm away, porridge and some fruit juice / water.

I've tried running before before breakfast (can't remember how far) and struggled.

You have to remember that we're all different and what works for me won't work for you.
Original post by JakeyWV
My diet will stay the same and the amount of cardio does, All i simply do is change my evening cardio to fasted morning cardio

If it works for you, great. What's better for fat burning isn't proven by anything other than anecdotal evidence :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest