The Student Room Group

Advice needed Please!

Hello there,

I studied at university a few years back, did 1 year, withdrew to care for ill relative. Signed up to distance learning last year did 1 full year (120 credits) and passed.

Now i have a problem,

I am looking at going to university full time but they said i would have to do full 3 years as they don't do direct entry to second year.

Thus my problem is:

I have essentially used 2 out of 4 years funding. leaving me 2 years. But i need an extra year funding to make the 3 years.

Advice would be appreciated.
Hi, Sisyphus.

Where have you been advised you only get 4 years of funding? That is not the case.

For the distance learning course did you receive a qualification?

If so you would normally need to fund the first year of the new course yourself and receive a maintenance loan only. You will, however, receive full funding for all future years of that course.

You can apply for 'Compelling Personal Reasons' for the first year you studied and provide evidence to show you had reasons that you were unable to go through with this year due ti your relative falling ill. Evidence can be a letter from a GP showing that this was the case and we can add that year back on to your entitlement.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Mark,

Apologies for the late reply,

Thanks for your help in dealing with this matter.

Is there a particular form i need to fill out for the compelling personal reasons or do i just send a request in writing?

Also if i was unsuccessful in the entitlement are there any other options to help with funding the first year? Just want to know all my options.

I appreciate your time helping me with this.

Thank you.
Hi, Sisyphus.

You simply need to submit the evidence along with a covering letter explaining you want to apply for CPR. It's also best if you've already made your application first so these can be linked together.

If it's not successful we can still offer a maintenance loan and other funding such as Disabled Student's allowance and Childcare if they are applicable.

So long as you can submit GP evidence or a letter from the institution you studied at, who can clearly explain the issues you had with the first course, then your claim is likely to be successful.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi, Sisyphus.

You simply need to submit the evidence along with a covering letter explaining you want to apply for CPR. It's also best if you've already made your application first so these can be linked together.

If it's not successful we can still offer a maintenance loan and other funding such as Disabled Student's allowance and Childcare if they are applicable.

So long as you can submit GP evidence or a letter from the institution you studied at, who can clearly explain the issues you had with the first course, then your claim is likely to be successful.

Thanks.

Mark,

Your advice is appreciated and i have found you very helpful.

I will follow up with the advice you have given me.

Thanks again.

Sisyphus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending