The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ageshallnot
The amount of time before your rejection is irrelevant. Admissions tutors often deal with applications in batches, so it is quite likely that yours was examined shortly after it arrived along with many others which arrived both before and after yours. On the subject of timing, I have seen a post on here by someone given a conditional from a top uni in less than an hour. I doubt that he or she complained the uni didn't spend enough time on their application!

Overall, your bitterness at Reading's initial acceptance of your friend is obscuring the fact that they had legitimate reasons for rejecting you. Wading through the rancour, it is perfectly obvious that Reading should have rejected him also.

What really bothers me is the huge result gap between me and my friend. Surely, a university could not afford to make such a simple mistake in picking their applicants?
Reply 21
Original post by chem@uni
What grades did you get at GCSE?

They wanted a B for math but I got a C. When I looked through the website they said the likely entry requirements are the International Foundation results
Sounds like you just aren't good enough for them, nothing you can do really.
Original post by Wroetoshaw
They wanted a B for math but I got a C. When I looked through the website they said the likely entry requirements are the International Foundation results

Annoying man but sadly nothing you can do :frown:

Regardless of your friend, you did not achieve what they were looking for and that is likely the reason you got rejected. Not much to be done about that other than resit your GCSEs and get better grades. Not all hope is lost though, there are many other universities in the UK that will offer your course (which is what?) and there's also the chance of clearing. Don't give up all hope!
Reply 25
Original post by lipslikemorphine
being bitter about your friend is not going to change the fact that they aren't happy with your application. While they may accept gcse equivalents your results weren't good enough and that is why they said no.

It's not just about being bitter, I'm also curious to the huge result gap difference between me and my friend. Literally, my results and personal statements were miles better than his and he somehow slipped through all of it, as if he did not need to prove anything. It is a very questionable matter
Reply 26
Original post by lnstrumentality
Regardless of your friend, you did not achieve what they were looking for and that is likely the reason you got rejected. Not much to be done about that other than resit your GCSEs and get better grades. Not all hope is lost though, there are many other universities in the UK that will offer your course (which is what?) and there's also the chance of clearing. Don't give up all hope!

I'm thinking of reapplying to the university with my 1st year results....Is it a good idea? Thanks for your
I'm thinking of reapplying to the university with my 1st year results....Is it a good idea? Thanks for your

What are your first year results? If they show big improvement then go for it! Wish you the best of luck! :h:
Reply 28
Original post by Arkasia
Sounds like you just aren't good enough for them, nothing you can do really.

Is there a chance i could reapply without using my GCSE's? I'm planning to apply using my 1st year results next year
Reply 29
Original post by lnstrumentality
What are your first year results? If they show big improvement then go for it! Wish you the best of luck! :h:

I will be taking first year next year......for now im still stuck i foundation man haha
Is there a chance i could reapply without using my GCSE's? I'm planning to apply using my 1st year results next year

Doubt it, who knows.
Reply 31
Original post by r-t
Look stick with what you've got now, try really hard at your A-levels and then try applying there through extra. If you do really well at your A-levels then this may compensate for not having the GCSE's required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a student currently taking foundation now
It's not just about being bitter, I'm also curious to the huge result gap difference between me and my friend. Literally, my results and personal statements were miles better than his and he somehow slipped through all of it, as if he did not need to prove anything. It is a very questionable matter

here's the hard truth.
maybe they just didn't like you.

i'm sorry i know that's harsh but maybe they saw something in him that made them take him on (as much of a mistake that it may have been) and they didn't see that in you.

Also how do you know his personal statement was better? Did you read it? If not, you're just making the assumption that you're better than him.

More than likely they just had more promising applicants than you and it would have been choosing you over someone with grades better than yours.

It has nothing to do with your friend so let that go. You just didn't match up to everyone else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by ageshallnot
Why does what happened to your friend make you angry? He was accepted by Reading but then had to leave due to bad grades, and has continued to be a poor student at Hertfordshire. Reading simply made a mistake in accepting him in the first place.

How could such a reknown university make suck a simple mistake? The huge result gap difference is pretty obvious and they still manage to screw it up?
Reply 34
I'm also curious to the huge result gap difference between me and my friend.

But your friend was subsequently required to leave Reading Uni for poor performance. It's very possible that uni admissions staff have learned their lesson about what to accept and how much leeway should be given

But the bottom line is that you didn't meet their GCSE equivalent requirement.

Literally, my results and personal statements were miles better than his

But your results still didn't meet Reading's requirement. And you aren't really the most objective observer when it comes to the quality of your PS.

and he somehow slipped through all of it, as if he did not need to prove anything. It is a very questionable matter

Well obviously, as he was effectively thrown out for under-performing. The questionable matter isn't your rejection - it's your friend's acceptance. It would appear that Reading have closed whatever loophole he slipped through.

Your first year results won't improve your GCSE equivalent grade, so you still won't meet the entry requirement. There's nothing to prevent you trying to transfer after your first year, but I wouldn't be optimistic unless you get an exceptional result.
I'm a student currently taking foundation now

I'm confused - is foundation the equivalent of AS levels then? In which case, you applied a year too early...???

If the uni set specific requirements on their website (e.g. "GCSE grade B in maths") then you HAVE to meet these requirements in order to have a chance at an offer - did you contact them before applying to ask whether they would still consider you?
Reply 36
Original post by lipslikemorphine
here's the hard truth.
maybe they just didn't like you.

i'm sorry i know that's harsh but maybe they saw something in him that made them take him on (as much of a mistake that it may have been) and they didn't see that in you.

Also how do you know his personal statement was better? Did you read it? If not, you're just making the assumption that you're better than him.

More than likely they just had more promising applicants than you and it would have been choosing you over someone with grades better than yours.

It has nothing to do with your friend so let that go. You just didn't match up to everyone else.

Like me or not, I just don't see the logic in it. Like you said, they pick the applicants by the grade requirements and he clearly failed to meet them. And yes I looked through his personal statement, which is of no better. What do you think that they saw in him? Potential? They can tell he has potential by looking at his Grades? He had no interviews or meetings, all he did was just submit his application. Before you type, please put in some judgements before you comment
you clearly aren't getting what everyone here is trying to tell you.
your friend does not matter. there was no error, you did not meet the entry requirements.

he is not good enough for the course of university and neither are you.

what i'm guessing you did is that rather than checking to see what they wanted you just assumed that since your friend got in and you got higher grades than he did then you would easily get in, and now your upset since your plan didn't work out.
(edited 8 years ago)

So you knew you didn't fulfil the requirements for the course before you even applied, and are now complaining because you were rejected 'unfairly'.

Can you walk into Tesco and get a £200 TV for £150? No.

If you had emailed them before applying to check, you would have avoided this situation completely.

Pick yourself up, and move on (unless you want to resit that C).

You can achieve great things, I'm sure, but not if you go round expecting special treatment and dwelling on bad things. Good luck with your application.
Reply 39
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I'm confused - is foundation the equivalent of AS levels then? In which case, you applied a year too early...???

If the uni set specific requirements on their website (e.g. "GCSE grade B in maths":wink: then you HAVE to meet these requirements in order to have a chance at an offer - did you contact them before applying to ask whether they would still consider you?

Foundation is different from A levels , is an alternative result to enter year 1 university..... I applied for UCAS June this year as the uni i wanted to apply to starts in September. However, I'm only halfway through my semester which means I have to submit both my mid term foundation results and my GCSE results which I took last year. I wonder if i actually finish my foundation course, can i only apply with that result and eliminate the GCSE's

Latest

Trending

Trending