The Student Room Group

No breaks, below min wage pay....what to do ?

Hi guys,
need some advice on summer work.
I recently have too very brief summer jobs, has I am working to try and save up for a training course in Sept.
I'm over 21 and my first summer job paid me £5.00 an hour.
I quit this one after the owner informed me they also don't pay you for overtime, so you just work "for free" if the store is open past normal close shifts.

The second one doesnt give you breaks, but requires you to work 7 hour shifts.
Now, I have worked long hours in previous roles, but due to a medicial condition, need to rest and have something to eat with medication every 4 hours. As I've only just started, ill doubt their accomodate me, as staff who have worked their a few years have also informed me they have never got a break.

Today, I called in sick, as my condition flared up and pain killers caused me to experience a migrane, I was told off for calling in sick (pretty normal for bar work) but I want to explain to them tomorrow that I have a condition and lack of rest bite if causing my condition to play up.

I feel if I do declare this however, they will let me go because they cannot accomodate me and I will back to finding ANOTHER job. However, I also know if I continue to work full time without being able to eat and rest over long hours, I will also have continious flare ups and more sick days

Can anyone shed some light of what I should do? I am very confused :frown:
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Hi guys,
need some advice on summer work.
I recently have too very brief summer jobs, has I am working to try and save up for a training course in Sept.
I'm over 21 and my first summer job paid me £5.00 an hour.
I quit this one after the owner informed me they also don't pay you for overtime, so you just work "for free" if the store is open past normal close shifts.

The second one doesnt give you breaks, but requires you to work 7 hour shifts.
Now, I have worked long hours in previous roles, but due to a medicial condition, need to rest and have something to eat with medication every 4 hours. As I've only just started, ill doubt their accomodate me, as staff who have worked their a few years have also informed me they have never got a break.

Today, I called in sick, as my condition flared up and pain killers caused me to experience a migrane, I was told off for calling in sick (pretty normal for bar work) but I want to explain to them tomorrow that I have a condition and lack of rest bite if causing my condition to play up.

I feel if I do declare this however, they will let me go because they cannot accomodate me and I will back to finding ANOTHER job. However, I also know if I continue to work full time without being able to eat and rest over long hours, I will also have continious flare ups and more sick days

Can anyone shed some light of what I should do? I am very confused :frown:

Both jobs are breaking the law by not paying you minimum wage and not allowing you to have breaks.
Id report them to the relevant people. They deserve to get into trouble for treating their staff like that.
Go to the CAB and get advice from them. You can also go to ACAS. Hopefully this will lead to getting backpay from your old employer who paid below minimum wage and being given breaks at your other job.
You are, by law, entitled to a 20 minute break if you work more than six hours, and it cannot be at the start or end of the shift. It's tough, because if you complain there is every chance they might just sack you. YOu could try phoning the ACAS helpline - see below.

Best of luck - but please don't let your health suffer - it's more important than anything else.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4489Acas HelplineRemember, you can also call the Acas Helpline on 0300 123 1100 to speak to one of our expert advisers. The Helpline provides clear, confidential, independent and impartial advice on a range of areas such as employment and recruitment laws, rules and best practice for hiring and managing staff, issues around dismissal, workers rights, redundancy processes, equality issues and the duties of an employer.Call the Helpline on 0300 123 1100.Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending