The Student Room Group

References for school leavers? Cover letter meaning?

So I am a school leaver aged 18 at the end of year 13 and have made my CV. I was wondering how many references I would have to provide and if so then how. Would I say on the cv that if references are required then they'll be given and then I email the teachers who I've got as references and they email the company a reference for me? How many references do I need. Also, abit of a random question but what is a cover letter? I looked online and apparently it looks like a letter you write telling the company your personal skills and why they should hire you. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t

Ask about three teachers if you can use them as referees when you've left school. You usually only have to give 2 referees, so asking 3 gives you a spare one.

You only offer referee details when you are asked for them. Everyone has referees, so there is no need to say they are available on your CV, it's just a waste of space.

It is usual for you to give the employer the contact details for your referee and the company ask for a reference directly from the referee, and not via you.

A cover letter is a letter the accompanies a CV and tells the employer why you want to do the sort of work you are applying for, why you want to work for that organisation and why you'd be good at it, ie what you r 3 most relevant skills are.
You should put two references on your CV with their contact number and possibly their email. It would of course be helpful to ask any previous employers from part time work, work experience or volunteering if possible but if not it is best to ask people who are not related to you but who you have known for over two years such as your previous teachers or if this is not possible parents of a close friend may be okay for one of them.

As for your cover letter you should start the letter by telling them why you are interested in the position/company then go on to tell them what skills and experiences you have/have had that would make you an ideal candidate for the role. You should then thank them for taking the time to read it and again include the names of your references and inform them that their contact details can be found on your CV. You cover letter should include links to the personal profile section of your CV but it should not be a direct copy. It is also important to make changes to your CV when applying for different jobs. For example, if applying to work in a retail position it would be beneficial to mention that you have good communication skills from your work experience in New Look but it would not be necessary to tell them that your hobbies include baking and trying out new recipes but these hobbies would be useful if applying for work in a café as would your communication skills and the fact that you won a cake competition etc.
Reply 3
Thank you guys this was very detailed and helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Also btw in the reference would I write next to the email who the person is in relation to me. For example if I used my business teacher would I write the email and then business teacher next to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you've already got the right idea - do not put the reference details on the CV. It is obvious you have some, and when you make it further they will request it. Some employs don't like seeing contact details at the CV stage, because if they employ you, they will become the new reference and some may not be happy with their details handed out to every Jain and Joe. You usually need about 2 references - from work or volunteering or school. Usually the employer rings up your references, so there's no need to get your references to call or email anyone. As long as they're aware they are references (out of courtesy), all should be fine. A cover letter supports your CV and expands on the points. You tailor it to the job specified - read the description and rewrite it so that you show all the skills and motivation they are asking for. Good luck! :smile: xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Yes, you've already got the right idea - do not put the reference details on the CV. It is obvious you have some, and when you make it further they will request it. Some employs don't like seeing contact details at the CV stage, because if they employ you, they will become the new reference and some may not be happy with their details handed out to every Jain and Joe. You usually need about 2 references - from work or volunteering or school. Usually the employer rings up your references, so there's no need to get your references to call or email anyone. As long as they're aware they are references (out of courtesy), all should be fine. A cover letter supports your CV and expands on the points. You tailor it to the job specified - read the description and rewrite it so that you show all the skills and motivation they are asking for. Good luck! :smile: xx

So I wouldn't write the details of my reference just that I would be happy to present them with references if needed? Are you allowed to use the template online for cover letters or does it have to be complete from scratch? I doubt my references would want to call so would them emailing be a problem? Thanks for the help btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
So I wouldn't write the details of my reference just that I would be happy to present them with references if needed? Are you allowed to use the template online for cover letters or does it have to be complete from scratch? I doubt my references would want to call so would them emailing be a problem? Thanks for the help btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, just say references on request (I don't mention it at all, personally). Yeah, use the template as a guidance and then tailor it when you apply to different jobs. Your references don't call anybody. The potential employer/company calls/emails your references :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Yeah, just say references on request (I don't mention it at all, personally). Yeah, use the template as a guidance and then tailor it when you apply to different jobs. Your references don't call anybody. The potential employer/company calls/emails your references :smile:

Okay thanks a lot you've been very helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending