The Student Room Group

Honour or ordinary

hi,
I have been moved to an ordinary degree, and it doesn't look like correct, because i passed year 1 and I did 3 supplementary exams that year. also in year 2 i passed all modules and I did take 1 in supplementary. So now when I am waiting to start my last stage which is stage 3, I got Beng (ordinary).
I have been passing and doing good, but this made me sad.

I want to know do they have the right to move me from honour to ordinary.

do anyone of you know when the decision is made to classify the degree as honour and ordinary?
the long part of my story. I were accepted to a Meng, after few weeks i didn't like the course(medical engineering) i spoke to my tutor and he told be to stay and that he will support me and I did stay, he did no give me any help in year 1( i asked about help many times), i passed year 1 and did 120 credits. in year 2 he wanted me to drop some credit( after paying for 120 credits), so after year 3 I do a top up year. I did not like that and kept on 120 credit. then he spoke academic department about moving me to ordinary as he says it is hard for me to keep up, but in year 2 I completed 120. reason for him to say I cant keep up is that he cant help me when I need help. my tutor is the head of medical engineering yes I do some supplementary exams each year, but I am passing with mix of grades 50-70,

many thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rojah

Unless you are in Scotland and are intending to get employment in Scotland then an ordinary degree is next to worthless in England and Wales. Get an honours degree or don't build up the debt.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Unless you are in Scotland and are intending to get employment in Scotland then an ordinary degree is next to worthless in England and Wales. Get an honours degree or don't build up the debt.

I am student in Bradford,

what do you mean by don't build up the debt.

do you have any advice about what shall I do?? please

Thank you
Speak to your student support team and they'll advise on their policy.

Unfortunately on TSR we deal with students from all 162 universities and all policies are wildly different - therefore we can't advise on specific details. :smile:
Original post by rojah
I am student in Bradford,

what do you mean by don't build up the debt.

do you have any advice about what shall I do?? please

Thank you

I find that really weird if you started a degree and it was classified as Beng(HONS) in your prospectus and when you enrolled they shouldn't really have changed it. Universities can cancel a course at any time but they will usually honour the degree until students on it have graduated.

I would question this if you had failed units and not passed with at lest 40% then I could see it but changing a degree From honours to ordinary really shouldn't happen I would call the uni and if you get no joy there the SU you might even have a legal case but as I didn't study law I don't know.
Reply 5
Original post by jonathanemptage
I find that really weird if you started a degree and it was classified as Beng(HONS) in your prospectus and when you enrolled they shouldn't really have changed it. Universities can cancel a course at any time but they will usually honour the degree until students on it have graduated.

I would question this if you had failed units and not passed with at lest 40% then I could see it but changing a degree From honours to ordinary really shouldn't happen I would call the uni and if you get no joy there the SU you might even have a legal case but as I didn't study law I don't know.

Thank you for your comment.

I passed all modules some from first attempt and some second attempt.
But I was surprised with the Ordinary note in my course tittle. I know that could happen if I fail, but i am passing.

so as fare as you know, the honour and ordinary is given when the course is completed.

Many thanks
If everything is as you say, something has gone wrong here. Speak to your academic department, and if that gets you nowhere then speak to your students' union advice service.

You REALLY don't want to be graduating with an ordinary degree if you can avoid it - it's essentially a grade lower than a third (any lower and you'd have failed completely)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rojah
Thank you for your comment.

I passed all modules some from first attempt and some second attempt.
But I was surprised with the Ordinary note in my course tittle. I know that could happen if I fail, but i am passing.

so as fare as you know, the honour and ordinary is given when the course is completed.

Many thanks

Yes an honours degree is awarded on completion of 360 cat points and a Ordinary is awarded if you get below that 300-359cats the classification is given on the percentage so if your average is 40% you'll get a third 50% you'll get a 2:2 and so on.

something Has gone wrong here for sure in fact I'd put all my money on it if I was a betting man you really need to query this.
Reply 8
Yes an honours degree is awarded on completion of 360 cat points and a Ordinary is awarded if you get below that 300-359cats the classification is given on the percentage so if your average is 40% you'll get a third 50% you'll get a 2:2 and so on.

something Has gone wrong here for sure in fact I'd put all my money on it if I was a betting man you really need to query this.

the long part of my story.

I were accepted to a Meng, after few weeks i didn't like the course(medical engineering) i spoke to my tutor and he told be to stay and that he will support me and I did stay, he did no give me any help in year 1( i asked about help many times), i passed year 1 and did 120 credits. in year 2 he wanted me to drop some credit( after paying for 120 credits), so after year 3 I do a top up year. I did not like that and kept on 120 credit. then he spoke academic department about moving me to ordinary as he says it is hard for me to keep

up, but in year 2 completed 120.

reason for him to say I cant keep up is that he cant help me when I need help.

yes I do some supplementary exams each year, but I am passing with mix of grades 50-70,

I feel he is behind it.
Yep talk to the uni and the SU he should have discussed it with you first and see if you have any legal rights if you do sue his ass.
Reply 10
Yep talk to the uni and the SU he should have discussed it with you first and see if you have any legal rights if you do sue his ass.

I spoke to adviser in the student union, but I see thing moving slowly, and i have my parent paying for me to be in Meng(Hons), the did not like this.

How can I check if I have any legal right, I really wish to sue him for all the stress he made me pass.

is there a specific place to check for lawyer for education cases.

Many thanks for your replays.
Are you entirely sure that you have been moved to an ordinary degree? BEng is not an ordinary degree. Usually, it is an honours degree, but a bachelors. MEng is also an honours degree, but includes an undergraduate masters year.

Moving from MEng to BEng (hons) should not do you any harm, except that you will not get student finance for a masters (should you choose to do one). So, you'd better check if that is what happened to you, because in that case you have hardly any reason to be upset. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Zefiros
Are you entirely sure that you have been moved to an ordinary degree? BEng is not an ordinary degree. Usually, it is an honours degree, but a bachelors. MEng is also an honours degree, but includes an undergraduate masters year.

Moving from MEng to BEng (hons) should not do you any harm, except that you will not get student finance for a masters (should you choose to do one). So, you'd better check if that is what happened to you, because in that case you have hardly any reason to be upset. :smile:

I entered as Meng (hons), but this year my tutor started talking about top up year. and now on the e:vision it says
Course : Beng Medical engineering

Aiming for award : Beng (Ordinary)

I did stage 1,120 credit. stage 2,120 credit. and now they say stage 3 ordinary.
Original post by rojah
I entered as Meng (hons), but this year my tutor started talking about top up year. and now on the e:vision it says
Course : Beng Medical engineering

Aiming for award : Beng (Ordinary)

I did stage 1,120 credit. stage 2,120 credit. and now they say stage 3 ordinary.

To be honest, we can't really help you with this any more than we have already done so - you will have to speak to your academic department if you wish to progress the complaint (and if you get nowhere, speak to your SU).

Your chances of being able to sue them are next to nil - just try and get it sorted out internally first.
Reply 14
Original post by Origami Bullets
To be honest, we can't really help you with this any more than we have already done so - you will have to speak to your academic department if you wish to progress the complaint (and if you get nowhere, speak to your SU).

Your chances of being able to sue them are next to nil - just try and get it sorted out internally first.

Thank You for your help
If your degree has gone from honours to ordinary, that may mean you haven't achieved the required credits to be able to graduate with honours. Well that's the case with my university; 360 credits - honours, 300-340 - ordinary and below 300 - diploma. However as people have already mentioned, every university has their own policies regarding the type of degree so it is best speaking to them.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted!
Original post by rojah
I spoke to adviser in the student union, but I see thing moving slowly, and i have my parent paying for me to be in Meng(Hons), the did not like this.

How can I check if I have any legal right, I really wish to sue him for all the stress he made me pass.

is there a specific place to check for lawyer for education cases.

Many thanks for your replays.

Student services should help you there or the SU again or ask a law student they may know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rojah
hi,
I have been moved to an ordinary degree, and it doesn't look like correct, because i passed year 1 and I did 3 supplementary exams that year. also in year 2 i passed all modules and I did take 1 in supplementary. So now when I am waiting to start my last stage which is stage 3, I got Beng (ordinary).
I have been passing and doing good, but this made me sad.

I want to know do they have the right to move me from honour to ordinary.

do anyone of you know when the decision is made to classify the degree as honour and ordinary?
the long part of my story. I were accepted to a Meng, after few weeks i didn't like the course(medical engineering) i spoke to my tutor and he told be to stay and that he will support me and I did stay, he did no give me any help in year 1( i asked about help many times), i passed year 1 and did 120 credits. in year 2 he wanted me to drop some credit( after paying for 120 credits), so after year 3 I do a top up year. I did not like that and kept on 120 credit. then he spoke academic department about moving me to ordinary as he says it is hard for me to keep up, but in year 2 I completed 120. reason for him to say I cant keep up is that he cant help me when I need help. my tutor is the head of medical engineering yes I do some supplementary exams each year, but I am passing with mix of grades 50-70,

many thanks

Hi rojah, I’m surprised to see you’re feeling unsupported in your studies and I apologise on behalf of the Faculty and University as this is not how we want our students to feel.

Please PM me your UB number, full name and the title of the course you’re currently studying. With this information I can give you a breakdown of what modules and credits you’ve studied and what grades you’ve achieved.

I would also encourage you to go back and speak with your personal tutor. Explain to him that you’re struggling with your studies and that you require additional support. Also take this opportunity to enquire about his decision to change your degree class. In addition to speaking with your personal tutor I’d recommend you meet with the Faculty’s Student Support Service. Again, explain to them your situation and see what support and guidance they can provide.

I’ll keep an eye out for your PM and I wish you the very best of luck going forward. If you need anything else from me please do let me know.
Reply 18
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi rojah, I’m surprised to see you’re feeling unsupported in your studies and I apologise on behalf of the Faculty and University as this is not how we want our students to feel.

Please PM me your UB number, full name and the title of the course you’re currently studying. With this information I can give you a breakdown of what modules and credits you’ve studied and what grades you’ve achieved.

I would also encourage you to go back and speak with your personal tutor. Explain to him that you’re struggling with your studies and that you require additional support. Also take this opportunity to enquire about his decision to change your degree class. In addition to speaking with your personal tutor I’d recommend you meet with the Faculty’s Student Support Service. Again, explain to them your situation and see what support and guidance they can provide.

I’ll keep an eye out for your PM and I wish you the very best of luck going forward. If you need anything else from me please do let me know.

Hi,

May I have your email address so I write to you.

Many thanks
Original post by rojah
Hi,

May I have your email address so I write to you.

Many thanks

You're more than welcome to send an email to [email protected] with your full name, UB number and the title of the course you're studying. If you choose to do this please also include a link to this thread or explain your situation. Alternatively, feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending