The Student Room Group

vitamin b deficiency

My lips are always very very dry and rip. I drink enough water every day, so I am definitely not dehydrated.
I heard it may be a VitB deficiency. I take Centrum a-z supplements. Should I take extra Vit B or is it something else?
It is getting annoying. I have medicated chop stick and this condition sticks with me cold or hot.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Centrum a-z has vitamin b in it already.
a defciency of B2 (riboflavin) causes dry lips as does many other circumstances. the balm youve got should help but if it isnt try going to a pharmasist and see what they advise.
out of interest do you lick your lips when they feel dry? that can make it worse, i have no idea why :s-smilie:
Reply 2
You know any vitamin deficiencies can be caused by Stress: emotional, physical and spiritual.And by the sounds of things ur eating and drinking ok so maybe your slightly stressed out or something is worrying you.If thats the case try and stop the stress and worry ok?And instead of tablets try eating foods rich in vitamin B because the tablets are no where near as effective as the real thing.Heres a list of symptoms i found about viamin B defficiency so check urself against these to see if it really is vitamin B defficiency:
mental problems
heart palpitations
heart arrythmias
fibrillation
indigestion
chronic fatigue
chronic exhaustion
paranoia, vague fears, fear that something dreadful is about to happen
nervousness
ADD (attention deficiency), inability to concentrate, irritability
feeling of uneasiness
thoughts of dying
easy agitation, frustration
inability to sleep (insomnia)
restlessness
tingling in hands
tingling fingers and toes
rashes
crying spells, inability to cope
soreness all over

I hope everything turns out ok.Just rest,relax and recover!
Good luck
From Andy
Reply 3
Mhh... I am very relaxed actually and normally eat healthy stuff.
Sure, I party and drink, I work hard hard hard but in the end, i think I even it out. However, I will try to relax and decrease my stress levels.
Reply 4
Hehe yeah we all party and drink....and if that caused vitamin B defficiency then i think everyone in the world would be suffering from it right now!:biggrin:
Heres a few foods that are very high in vitamin B just incase you wanted to try them:smile:
cereals, pasta, whole grains (especially wheat germ), lean meats (especially pork), fish and dairy products.
Try and eat a bit more of those if you can because it might help,and carry on relaxing:smile:
Take it easy!
From Andy
Reply 5
ajking
Hehe yeah we all party and drink....and if that caused vitamin B defficiency then i think everyone in the world would be suffering from it right now!:biggrin:
Heres a few foods that are very high in vitamin B just incase you wanted to try them:smile:
cereals, pasta, whole grains (especially wheat germ), lean meats (especially pork), fish and dairy products.
Try and eat a bit more of those if you can because it might help,and carry on relaxing:smile:
Take it easy!
From Andy

I eat those though!
Reading through your list I also get aggravated and frustrated easily, I have chronic fatigue ....
Worrying!
Reply 6
Oh right.Well if your getting worried about it i would do the obvious thing and go to see the doctor because they deal with all types of things like this and will know exactly what to do to help you out.
You never know,something really simple might cure it.
I read that chronic fatigue can be caused by a virus.

To be honest i used to suffer from chronic fatigue but i have a special energy tonic that you can get from your pharmacist without a subscription.My one is orange coloured.You just have a spoonful whenever your tired and it really gives you an energy boost.

I still take it these days and it makes you feel really refreshed as well and it usually lasts at least 8 hours.Maybe you should try getting some because it worked for me the last few years.
:smile: :biggrin:
Reply 7
I work for a doctor. Well, I teach her son. I will talk to her about it. If she recommends seeing someone, I will, but she may be able to help me out anyway.
I know they have Vit B12 tonics at home, so maybe I could use them.
Reply 8
yeah if you use those tonics they will definately help:smile:
I hope I helped a bit anyways.
Im going now.Have to study for my A level exams.Im hoping to go to a london uni or the university of bristol:biggrin:
I hope you sort it out soon and good luck with everything as well

take care!
From Andy
Reply 9
Good luck for your exams! what are you applying for?
Are you vegan? A lot of vegans have vitamin B deficiencies.
Reply 11
Awww thankyou:smile:
Well Im studying biology chemistry physics and maths at the moment and ive applied for
Zoology at royal holloway,queen marys,roehampton(all in london).Ive applied for veterinary science and zoology in bristol.
Im really dreading my interviews that i have coming up soon because i really dont know what to expect:frown:
But we shall see what happens!What exactly do you teach?
Reply 12
ajking
Awww thankyou:smile:
Well Im studying biology chemistry physics and maths at the moment and ive applied for
Zoology at royal holloway,queen marys,roehampton(all in london).Ive applied for veterinary science and zoology in bristol.
Im really dreading my interviews that i have coming up soon because i really dont know what to expect:frown:
But we shall see what happens!What exactly do you teach?

Wow, that is quite thrilling!
I am teaching Maths and English (Middle School, Key Stage 2 and Lower Secondary).
At the moment I am considering a qualification in nutrition..... who knows :biggrin:
Reply 13
ForumFreak
Are you vegan? A lot of vegans have vitamin B deficiencies.

Nope. I am not a vegetarian either.
Reply 14
Wow:smile:
Thats really good!I wanted to be a teacher at one point but in primay school:smile:
You might as well go for it and get a qualification in nutrition.It can only be good for you and you never know what horizons it could open for you:biggrin:

Good luck and i hope you get it in the end:smile:
From Andy:biggrin:
Reply 15
Thanks Andy! Have a nice evening/night!
yourjoyismylow
I work for a doctor. Well, I teach her son. I will talk to her about it. If she recommends seeing someone, I will, but she may be able to help me out anyway.
I know they have Vit B12 tonics at home, so maybe I could use them.

unless you have a history of gut problems you don't have vit B12 deficiency.
and i doubt you have any b vitmain deficiency.

could it be the dry lips are simply dry lips..? hot rooms, sun exposure, cold winter air etc...
yourjoyismylow
My lips are always very very dry and rip. I drink enough water every day, so I am definitely not dehydrated.
I heard it may be a VitB deficiency. I take Centrum a-z supplements. Should I take extra Vit B or is it something else?
It is getting annoying. I have medicated chop stick and this condition sticks with me cold or hot.

Have you tried applying vaseline regularly?
Reply 18
bunthulhu
Have you tried applying vaseline regularly?

Yes, and that does not help. I now have medicated Eucerin, which helps sometimes.
Reply 19
Jamie
unless you have a history of gut problems you don't have vit B12 deficiency.
and i doubt you have any b vitmain deficiency.

could it be the dry lips are simply dry lips..? hot rooms, sun exposure, cold winter air etc...

Thanks for your reply, Jamie.
I am never in over-heated, dry rooms (I make sure of that) and never really lie in the sun.
This has been bothering me all year, since Jan 2006. And the first time I put the heat on in my flat was mid-December this year.
Gut problems? You mean... those guts? This may sound silly, but I am not a native, could you elaborate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending