The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, but highly recommended. I could have a relationship without sex.
Original post by CreamyRoss

recommended by who? don't leave us in suspense !
Reply 3
No I don't think its essential but both parties have to be fine with either a lack of sex completely or a reduction in how often you have sex. If both aren't happy with that then there will be trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally wouldn't be fine without it.
Possibly
People do have an innate need to have sex (asexuals excepted of course) if they don't get it from their partner, then cheating becomes far more of a temptation, I don't need to go into how much harm that causes.
I don't think that in all relationships that sex is essential. I think that the vast majority of relationships sex is essential for it to work. It depends entirely on the people in the relationship as to whether sex is essential as all people are different
It's 'essential' full stop. Not that I get any *raaaaaaaaaage!'*
Sex is the least important thing in my mind in a relationship
But that is cause of religious reasons :smile:
Original post by CreamyRoss

damn
It doesn't have to be right away but as long as it's not out of the question in the long term, like I know couples who were together for years before deciding to have sex

Spoiler

In terms of being able to have children. Yes.
people have a need for self transcendence and we use many methods to achieve this. at the most prosaic level we can achieve it with simple things like colour and sound. a pretty picture, a beautiful landscape, even bright colours, are all enough to take us out of ourselves. and of course we use drugs. we don't like to say that very much because we pretend to believe it is wrong. but most people use alcohol to achieve a sense of otherness. some use marijuana or ecstasy, plus a number of other substances. these also can give us a brief escape from drabness. and of course we use each other. sex is one of the great escapes from drab reality. it is often said that sex is 99% in the head and this is quite true. sex is one of the most liberating experiences humans enjoy. it is probably the nearest thing we have to real magic.

people tend to say that sex is an integral part of a healthy relationship because of the point I've just mentioned, not admittedly of course. i believe that there are far more interesting partners can do to make a relationship healthy, durable, and memorable
I think it's an important step if you want children. I could be wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pretty sure there's such thing as a relationship which does not require any sort of penetration apart from the penetration of love in your heart :u:

:sexface:

:sexface:
It's not essential per se, but a lack of a healthy sexual relationship can put a strain on the relationship, especially if at least one of the partners is used to it.
Given that asexuals are a thing and are generally ok, I'm gonna go ahead and say generally no. For a lot people, it may be desirable and for some essential, but on the whole that's not the case.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think it's necessary for a healthy relationship?

Yes. You only live once and I want all the sex I can get while I’m here.
Personally, yes, absolutely. I would not be in a relationship with someone if there is not a healthy sex life.

This view may change when I'm old and impotent.

Latest

Trending

Trending