The Student Room Group

Can you still receive offers if...

Your predicted about 20-40 points less than the minimum that's required.? I've spoked to a few uni's and they said very much so as of course you could overachieve so they would very likely give you a conditional offer but I just wanted to confirm this? Also of course this would vary from school to school but do teachers try and predict your grades to give you the best opportunity or very strict? I'm taking an extra general studies a level next year too as It doesn't require much time and I'm interested as to how the teacher will predict me his grade or whether they just use gcse results ect

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexp98
Your predicted about 20-40 points less than the minimum that's required.? I've spoked to a few uni's and they said very much so as of course you could overachieve so they would very likely give you a conditional offer but I just wanted to confirm this? Also of course this would vary from school to school but do teachers try and predict your grades to give you the best opportunity or very strict? I'm taking an extra general studies a level next year too as It doesn't require much time and I'm interested as to how the teacher will predict me his grade or whether they just use gcse results ect

It is possible yes. I got offers off AAB despite being predicted ABB-ABC. However, general studies isn't always included in the offers and a lot of universities disregard it.
Reply 2
Original post by prophetkid
It is possible yes. I got offers off AAB despite being predicted ABB-ABC. However, general studies isn't always included in the offers and a lot of universities disregard it.

The one I really want. To go to does accept it luckily though :smile: I need 300 points to do accounting and finance but with general studies too
Original post by alexp98
The one I really want. To go to does accept it luckily though :smile: I need 300 points to do accounting and finance but with general studies too

Oh that's good then :smile:
You're likely to get an offer if you're predicted lower grades, so long as it's not an overly competitive course. There is also a chance they'll accept you with lower grades on results day if your personal statement is impressive :smile:
I got an offer from Warwick for Economics(requirements are A*AA).
I was predicted A*AB(despite me getting ABBB in AS levels).
This is a mighty competitive course at Warwick!
Reply 5
Oh that's good then :smile:
You're likely to get an offer if you're predicted lower grades, so long as it's not an overly competitive course. There is also a chance they'll accept you with lower grades on results day if your personal statement is impressive :smile:

Thanks a lot, it's de Montfort uni Accouting and finance. If you've already applied to uni would I would appreciate It if you could give my personal statement a read when it's done as there is not a lot of support from school
Original post by alexp98

Yup, just like other I received offers well above my predicted grades! In one subject, it was 2 grades above!
Reply 7
Original post by Skill Twix
I got an offer from Warwick for Economics(requirements are A*AA).
I was predicted A*AB(despite me getting ABBB in AS levels).
This is a mighty competitive course at Warwick!

Thanks :smile: I'll definitely still apply then if the course is just about 20-40 points over what I'm predicted :smile:
Original post by alexp98
Thanks a lot, it's de Montfort uni Accouting and finance. If you've already applied to uni would I would appreciate It if you could give my personal statement a read when it's done as there is not a lot of support from school

Yeah I'm off to university this September, I'd be happy to read it over :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by mobbsy91
Yup, just like other I received offers well above my predicted grades! In one subject, it was 2 grades above!

Nice so you were predicted 40 ucas points less and still got the offer? That's exactly what a lot of uni's I talked to said. They said they'll normally offer you a conditional if your still 20-40 points below as you could over achieve of course
Reply 10
Yeah I'm off to university this September, I'd be happy to read it over :smile:

Original post by alexp98
Nice so you were predicted 40 ucas points less and still got the offer? That's exactly what a lot of uni's I talked to said. They said they'll normally offer you a conditional if your still 20-40 points below as you could over achieve of course

After a quick conversion, yes haha! Absolutely! And after you've got your predicted grades, you still have lots of time for revision and work, and often the predicted grades can be an eye opener if based upon mock results or anything like that!
Reply 12
After a quick conversion, yes haha! Absolutely! And after you've got your predicted grades, you still have lots of time for revision and work, and often the predicted grades can be an eye opener if based upon mock results or anything like that!

Haha thanks :smile: do you mean I should ring the uni and let them know?
Original post by alexp98
Haha thanks :smile: do you mean I should ring the uni and let them know?

No, they'll recognise that you can improve on your predicted grades, and probably bear that in mind... I got 4 out of 5 offers with my predicted grades being below what they were asking for...
Reply 14
No, they'll recognise that you can improve on your predicted grades, and probably bear that in mind... I got 4 out of 5 offers with my predicted grades being below what they were asking for...

Ahh you've just made me so much more relaxed :smile: have you got any revision tips for me at A2 on remembering content ect. I do economics, lit and history :smile: Also, back to uni what would happen if say you don't meet the requirement would the conditional offer just go or is it likely you could still get an offer due to government getting rid of Uni capping students ect ?
Original post by alexp98
Ahh you've just made me so much more relaxed :smile: have you got any revision tips for me at A2 on remembering content ect. I do economics, lit and history :smile: Also, back to uni what would happen if say you don't meet the requirement would the conditional offer just go or is it likely you could still get an offer due to government getting rid of Uni capping students ect ?

Haha, no worries! Well, I would definitely say, revise the stuff early! If you're planning on any retakes, go over all that content at the start of the year, and do maybe a paper every 1-2 weeks, as it keeps the stuff fresh on your mind, and come June you'll want to concentrate on A2 content! As I said, revise throughout the year, as that makes easter revision so much easier!

Do you mean if you don't meet the requirements unis list on their site, or if you don't meet the requirements come results day?
Reply 16
If you don't meet the requirements come results day
Original post by alexp98
If you don't meet the requirements come results day

Ok, so, if you don't meet the requirements on results day, your 'firm choice' has two options.

Either, they accept you, or they reject you. If you miss the offer, there is no guarantee they will still accept you, and there's no way to predict if this will happen. If they reject you, then if you get the requirements for your Insurance choice, then you'll go to your insurance university. If you miss both, and neither accept you, you'll go into clearing.
Reply 18
Ok thanks, what if you din't want to go to an insurance and just ted your first choice? Would it be possible to apply through clearing for the uni that rejected you then as a lot of uni's will decrease their requirements for clearing
Original post by alexp98
Ok thanks, what if you din't want to go to an insurance and just ted your first choice? Would it be possible to apply through clearing for the uni that rejected you then as a lot of uni's will decrease their requirements for clearing

Well, the idea is, you only apply for unis you want to go to, and so your insurance would still be one that you'd be happy going to. I believe, that you don't have to put down an insurance, and so I presume, if you missed the offer, and weren't accepted, then you'd be automatically put into clearing.

I'll tag @Carnationlilyrose just to confirm that though!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending