The Student Room Group

Reference guide for international students

Hi guys,

So I am currently a belgian student and I have decided to apply to a few Masters in UK universities, in the field of International Relations / Security Studies.

I had no issue finding referees, however one of them is an assistant lecturer and has just started teaching, and this is not accustomed to writing references, especially for british institutions.

I have been looking around for some sort of guide / guidance which could explain the basic principle and do and don'ts of writing a reference letter to the UK, but I have not been successful finding any for graduate applications yet (although there are plenty for undergraduates but I am assuming there is quite a lot of difference between the two).

If anyone has any such documents, or just advice on the matter I would really welcome your input!

In addition, my potential reference is not fluent in english. Could that be an issue or are UK universities used to getting this sort of references from international students?

Many thanks!
Original post by Odelis

References usually confirm that you have the academic ability, the focus, the work ethic, the specific skills (equipment, languages etc as appropriate) etc to be a valuable member of the course. They confirm your grades, maybe highlighting excellence, you commitment, your relevant professional experience etc.

If your Referee doesn't have fluent and persuasive English, you should ask them to write it in their native tongue and then have an official translation made and signed.
Reply 2
Hey,

Many thanks for the reply, I will make sure to spend some time with my teacher to make sure he understand the differences :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending