The Student Room Group

Why does beauty matter?

Why does beauty matter? I mean, y'all like beauty and tenderness in girls and all girls personally like perfect hair-do, make up, bidy fitness and dress and guys also the same cutting out makeup only and adding shaving. But, for those, who can't afford all this or don't possess beautyor slimness and all,people usually back ou from them and I'm being totally realistic here. I mean, beautiful people usually don't have to make any efforts in gaining friends and normal ones have to earn them. What do you all say and lease, be realistic, apart from the high reverentil theories. What are you most surrounded by?
Reply 1
Our brains are wired in such a way that beauty acts as a magnet to our eyes. This is something that we can not ignore. And those who are beautiful usually get things easier. But you should also think that these people must prove they have intelligence, good personality if they want to keep impressing others.
I don't think it does tbh, you just need to keep finding the person(s) who will accept you for being you
You're right that aesthetics is what would usually draw a person in. However, a beautiful personality would resonate more and can make someone into a beautiful person. To me it does, anyway.

In terms of applying beauty products, some people just do it to maintain self-grooming to keep themselves happy. Yes, it does help in attracting others but that does not necessarily have to be the reason to take care of one self :-) same applies to trying to keep slim - it it can be for health reasons and health connotes attractiveness.

Unfortunately, with the media showing 'attractive' people all the time using products and looking a certain way, it does influence our outlook on beauty a lot. But tbh you don't have to buy products if you can't afford it to look good, sometimes a smile, positivity and a good personality is all you need to be beautiful :-)
Of course, a good personality does have a lasting effect on mind, one should get well-dressed and groom one-self. It is a one of the ways of self-expression and when you dress good , you feel good and when you feel good about yourself, it has a very positive impact on the other person's mind and they feel good and happy about you too.
But, I'm talking about the certain natural biases that are planted in our minds from birth. Not all of us are like that, but still a number and a big one like,at school level,I mean,apartheid actually happens in front of me. Beautiful people are thought to be good at everything until they they prove themselves wrong and the opposite with normal-looking people. I mean, a fat kid that has never played sports in school is thought like he could never play basketball or why given a chance either, he may be an excellent one in park or else or a diligent, confident, congenial girl is thought to have amazing ideas for the party decorations and not a one lacking self-confidance, not pretty and casual girl. I think that this behavior of our society is because of the natural prejudices we hold or rather because we are very judgemental. I mean, why give a chance to someone who cajole us of his worth or speak for pneself. Then, what will happen to those who don't even know their worth or may be , they know and are dying to come outside but can't because may be, they are difident, introvert. Who're gonna help these people?
I dunno, I'm not too bothered about beauty unless I was to date someone, then I'd have to find them physically attractive. Maybe some people just prefer to be associated with good looking people as a social status sort of thing, I dunno? :dontknow:
Original post by Mr...
Beauty is kind of like a physical magnet especially in relationships, if a girl or guy is "beautiful" in your eyes you're less likely to be in a relationship with them.

But, suppose , who would you choose as your comrade, a colleague;not a friend, a colleague only, for an errand to run or a beautiful person that just comes into the office and offers you his service?Of course, the colleague, because, you know him longer and are aware of his personality. He may not be best at what you're supposed to work on and maybe that beautiful person is like a connoisseur at that, but Trust does matter a lot.Trust is something that is above beauty in many ways and trust,rather, has its own beauty that is different, that questions more than beauty and when it comes to life-partner selection, trust matters more. Now, I'm not saying that, a beautiful life partner can't be trustworthy, but, it also can't be like a trustworthy friend of yours can't be your life partner and can't give you joy in life if she's not beautiful because beauty fades, but memories of the beautiful friendship and companionship and sweetness you get from the relationship doesn't.
Original post by Multitalented me
I dunno, I'm not too bothered about beauty unless I was to date someone, then I'd have to find them physically attractive. Maybe some people just prefer to be associated with good looking people as a social status sort of thing, I dunno? :dontknow:

It is also a point of view and I respect it by all means. Thanks for joining in and being honest, mate.:smile:
It doesn't matter to me too much, I'd be lying to say that it doesn't matter at all. But I still go for people with brains and personality over beauty, I'm not going to date a model that can only give me a thousand yard stare thinking I'm a camera lens.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
Ya, I kind of agree with you but beauty (subjectively) is important in picking a partner just as trust, humour and other personal qualities are.

Yes! mate. You're right. Beauty also matters along with other qualities.Along with the multiple shades that make up one's personality, beauty is one of the shades. But, we must keep in mind that this shade should not be a malignant one that destroys other shades because a rainbow looks beautiful only when it's all shades are confines in their areas and the perceiving of multiple shades of personality in their refined lines brings you a perfect life partner. I deeply respect your opinion. I should rather say that you've added one important point in the discussion about the beauty and have given it a new colour. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending