The Student Room Group

Vegan at Uni - advice?

Hi, I'm a vegetarian and have been considering going vegan for a long while now! I was wondering what other people's experiences of veganism at uni were - how do you manage in terms of budget, getting the right vitamins eg iron and B12, and even social life?
I'm going to be on a tight budget this upcoming year so the maximum I'm letting myself spend is £25 - and I eat a LOT.
I normally drink soy / almond milk anyway, I use sunflower spread instead of butter, but I find myself struggling to quit eggs and cheese! I don't know where to get a cheese substitute other than the soy cheese at tesco, which is quite expensive - does anyone have any suggestions?
Do you have any advice on starting out as a vegan?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

@K.C knows a lot about this subject
Reply 2
Original post by Talus
Hi, I'm a vegetarian and have been considering going vegan for a long while now! I was wondering what other people's experiences of veganism at uni were - how do you manage in terms of budget, getting the right vitamins eg iron and B12, and even social life?
I'm going to be on a tight budget this upcoming year so the maximum I'm letting myself spend is £25 - and I eat a LOT.
I normally drink soy / almond milk anyway, I use sunflower spread instead of butter, but I find myself struggling to quit eggs and cheese! I don't know where to get a cheese substitute other than the soy cheese at tesco, which is quite expensive - does anyone have any suggestions?
Do you have any advice on starting out as a vegan?

Thanks!

Hi there!

Currently, the only place I know where to get vegan cheese is Wholefoods Supermarket. They have plenty of food substitutes there; if you are in London it would be best to find one.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/search/vegan%20cheese

Asda seems to have some vegan cheese, but I'm not sure if that is too expensive for you?

You can go to markets to do your shopping where the food is relatively cheaper than supermarkets. I'd recommend this for fruits & veg because you need snacks but also the veg can make your meals seem more full.

What you should buy:
pasta
rice
(you can get these for cheap, especially in Asda)
pasta sauce
seasoning/spices
TOFU. (you can get this from Tesco, Asda etc in Tesco it's quite expensive because it's quite small.)
Some nuts perhaps (I prefer pistachio)
Sugar
Cereal (weetabix, kellogs should be good)
tomato paste
also you know you can have stuff like burritos, sushi (if you wanted to eat out)
Potatoes

That reminds me, if you happen to live near any Asian supermarkets they could be cheaper plus there's more stuff there you can get -- there are other meat substitutes called seitan and tempeh, apparently seitan is better than tofu.

*list looks a bit small but i suppose i'm forgetting some stuff lel*
whats the longest you've gone without cheese?

i thought i wouldnt be able to live without cheese but once i quit for a week or so i didnt miss it at all also the same story with cows milk

not a vegan myself but am gradually going in that direction, dont buy dairy anymore and eat hardly any meat
Reply 4
well i tried going vegan and i could cook vegan meals for cheapish but the problem was the vegan snacks and less basic food wete too expensive and id need about 40 quid a week to have interesting meals. Eating out is a big part of socializing so being a vegan can be difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by CelticBeast
whats the longest you've gone without cheese?

i thought i wouldnt be able to live without cheese but once i quit for a week or so i didnt miss it at all also the same story with cows milk

not a vegan myself but am gradually going in that direction, dont buy dairy anymore and eat hardly any meat

About a week as well :colondollar: It's so difficult when most vegetarian dishes these days come with copious amounts of cheese on them..... And I'll end up missing quorn soooo much!
Reply 6
Original post by hikkarie
well i tried going vegan and i could cook vegan meals for cheapish but the problem was the vegan snacks and less basic food wete too expensive and id need about 40 quid a week to have interesting meals. Eating out is a big part of socializing so being a vegan can be difficult.

I definitely can't afford 40 quid a week :frown: I was thinking maybe being vegan at home, then just being vegetarian when I eat out.
Reply 7
Original post by K.C
Hi there!

Currently, the only place I know where to get vegan cheese is Wholefoods Supermarket. They have plenty of food substitutes there; if you are in London it would be best to find one.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/search/vegan%20cheese

Asda seems to have some vegan cheese, but I'm not sure if that is too expensive for you?

You can go to markets to do your shopping where the food is relatively cheaper than supermarkets. I'd recommend this for fruits & veg because you need snacks but also the veg can make your meals seem more full.

What you should buy:
pasta
rice
(you can get these for cheap, especially in Asda)
pasta sauce
seasoning/spices
TOFU. (you can get this from Tesco, Asda etc in Tesco it's quite expensive because it's quite small.)
Some nuts perhaps (I prefer pistachio)
Sugar
Cereal (weetabix, kellogs should be good)
tomato paste
also you know you can have stuff like burritos, sushi (if you wanted to eat out)
Potatoes

That reminds me, if you happen to live near any Asian supermarkets they could be cheaper plus there's more stuff there you can get -- there are other meat substitutes called seitan and tempeh, apparently seitan is better than tofu.

*list looks a bit small but i suppose i'm forgetting some stuff lel*

This is so useful, thank you!!!!
How much would you say your grocery shop costs you per week? And how have you found leaving cheese and eggs etc?
Reply 8
Original post by Talus
This is so useful, thank you!!!!
How much would you say your grocery shop costs you per week? And how have you found leaving cheese and eggs etc?

I would say I'm not that much of a foodie so it wasn't as hard but I was quite annoyed at first because cheese was part of my main pasta meal but it's not that big a deal seeing as there are cheese substitutes and oh yeah, you'll find that a lot of your meals will be repetitive but that's not a bad thing because you can save money.

I spend £20 per week, and that goes down as well because the pasta+pasta sauce, rice -- I never finish that quickly so the things I only buy after are fruits, veg & other possible snacks.

This was great for me because whenever I had money left over I would have bought a load of junk.
Reply 9
Original post by K.C
I would say I'm not that much of a foodie so it wasn't as hard but I was quite annoyed at first because cheese was part of my main pasta meal but it's not that big a deal seeing as there are cheese substitutes and oh yeah, you'll find that a lot of your meals will be repetitive but that's not a bad thing because you can save money.

I spend £20 per week, and that goes down as well because the pasta+pasta sauce, rice -- I never finish that quickly so the things I only buy after are fruits, veg & other possible snacks.

This was great for me because whenever I had money left over I would have bought a load of junk.

I live in london and 20 pounds a week was nowhere near enough....
Reply 10
Original post by hikkarie
I live in london and 20 pounds a week was nowhere near enough....

Yeah, I figured that. The town my uni is in is cheaper and so that's how much I need, I only included London because I don't think there are any Wholefoods Supermarket anywhere else.

Though, there are still Asian supermarkets and farmer's markets that should have considerably cheaper foods.
Reply 11
As a cheese substitute you should research cashew cheese, it's not hard cheese but it goes well with salads and stuff, it's like nacho cheese.

Also, I'm not vegan or anything myself but I know about this guy -
https://instagram.com/veganbodybuildingandfitness/. He's a vegan body builder (did the name give it away?) and is always posting his meals and includes recipes or ingredients at the least. To be vegetarian you have to like fruit and veg, to be vegan you've got to love it, so I hope you do :smile:
Original post by Talus
About a week as well :colondollar: It's so difficult when most vegetarian dishes these days come with copious amounts of cheese on them..... And I'll end up missing quorn soooo much!

have never tried quorn actually but aye cheese is sooooo good until you go a while without eating it then you realise that life does go on without cheese, just gotta push through for a while without eating it to realise
Reply 13
I get a load of staples in like dried herbs and spices, stock cubes, chopped tomatoes, lentils, different types of tinned beans, veg, as well as rice, pasta and noodles. That makes the base for most of my main meals. I will use the tinned chopped tomatoes as a base for chilli, pasta sauce, curry and stew, and then just add stock, herbs or spices, and various veg and legumes.

You can get yeast flakes to add to food to get your vitamin B12, a lot of vegan food is also fortified. For iron you can get that from foods like tofu, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, cooked spinach, dried apricots and white beans. Eat then with vitamin C rich food as it helps the body absorb iron.

As for social life the only time it really matters is when I'm going out for meals. Most restaurants are happy to accommodate, but if it’s a planned meal I will check the menu online, and phone ahead to make it easier when I arrive.
I'm not a vegan, but I gather that violife is the best cheese substitute.

There's a vegan fast food joint in Manchester (V Revolution) which also sells things like vegan mayo, so these things do exist.

Could you just cut things out in stages and then see how you go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hi :smile:

Vegan uni student here!

I would make sure you have a store cupboard filled up with the essentials, rice, pasta, tins of baked beans and other bits and pieces like that. I've found that since I went vegan I have been cooking a lot more from scratch, which is quite easy to do. I've been recommended the vegetarian nosh for students cookbook, which has plenty of easy to veganise recipes, and Jack Monroe's blog (A Girl Called Jack) also has lots of very cheap vegan recipes as well. I'm not saying that I don't resort to beans on toast or jacket potatoes sometimes though.

I would also highly recommend joining a few vegan facebook groups, such as What Fat Vegans Eat, and Vegan (Supermarket Finds) UK. Especially the latter, as quite a few of the foods you would normally eat as a veggie are accidentally vegan. Even skittles and starburst are vegan, which is a fact I take huge advantage of when stuck in the library.

With quorn, tesco frozen soya mince tastes so much better!
Reply 16
Friend of mine swears by Marmite as a good source of B12, if you like it. He eats one serving a day.
I'm in a similar situation - been veggie for over 9 years and started going vegan this year but my accommodation is catered. The kitchen is great and will be able to cook my own food absolutely fine but I'm worried about how I'm going to spend the allocated money on vegan food on campus?
Reply 18
Check out the Vegan Society web site for loads of advice and information..... http://www.vegansociety.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
I became vegan at uni! i found it cheaper than eating animal products. I make big veggie chillies/curry/stir fry/pasta sauces and freeze it. I wouldn't recommend a cheese substitute as they're expensive and not that nice in my opinion, I use nutritional yeast (about £3 from health food shops for a huge tub) which tastes cheesy and has vitamin b12 in :smile: i buy bags of potatoes, sweet potatoes, loose veg and tins of beans/chickpeas which is cheap and very filling. i often ate hummus for lunch in sandwiches, wraps, salads and I found that replaced cheese at lunch for me. Also Linda McCartney sausages are vegan and good to have in the freezer for when you cba :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending