The Student Room Group

What do girls normally wear during freshers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Whatever will get them more attention than the next girl.

Meow.
Top hat, coat, wig, sorted.
I'll be wearing jeans and tops mainly during freshers I think, probably with flats. We do have one 'black tie' event that I'm taking a dress for but otherwise I think it's all fairly casual.
Most people have this weird fantasy about "freshers" as if it is a mixture of prom and the in-betweeners movie

It varies from uni to uni and can be longer or shorter but is basically a week of trudging around a campus to register and find facilities, join clubs and explore before term starts.

There are booze fuelled trips organised ( some unis stamp down hard on them now due to complaints) at the same time as say the CU organises a "meet and greet" prayer session with tea and biscuits .
Being a uni and in the UK, booze will feature but not necessarily in everything

Dress sense is an individual thing. Some types like clubbing , some students like sticky floored pubs and heavy metal. Be yourself, but be willing to go along with the vibe.

Generally first years dress in clothes that their parents approved of, and are clean and tidy
Towards the end of year one, going into years two, it goes a bit haywire as funds dry up and standards slip. I knew one guy who wore a blue boiler suit all of year 2 because it was easy, cheap, and he didn't have to decide. Come year three people tidy up and start to look employable

If you have a couple of "nice outfits" that will do
Bear in mind that you are cleaning your own clothes so bring stuff that isn't all dry clean only and can mostly be bunged in together
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine
A good rule of thumb for everything in freshers is just be relaxed and don't be a "try-hard". Most people are nervous about moving to a new place and wanting to make friends and the more normal and non-judgemental / non-competitive you seem, the easier it is to make friends with people.

There will be a few try-hards on campus, there will be some girls who see it as a competition, they will turn up to lectures or to the library with tons of make up and short skirts with the obvious intention of being a "head turner" and setting themselves apart from other girls who have just turned up in hoodies and jeans. Most other girls will see this as being irritating and it won't help them make friends.

These kind of girls end up gravitating to each other, they are like the wannabe BNOC celebs, they will all hang round each other so they can get their facebook and instagram pictures in a group of other similarly glam girls on nights out and create the social media impression of being in the "in crowd" but these kind of social groups are bitchy and nasty. In my second year my friendship group rescued a 'refugee' from one of these groups who was a girl who tried to be one of the cool girls in Freshers, got accepted by them and ended up being on the receiving end of a lot of bitchy activity.

If you are normal and relaxed and not trying to show off you will find it easy to just meet other normal people. I'm not saying it's bad to glam up on nights out, but if you find yourself starting to be competitive with others on how you look at the uni library or on campus generally you should try to check yourself, don't dress in a way to try to make other people feel lesser than you.

Urm.. I'm not a 'try hard' but I won't really go out in jeans and a jumper I don't understand why people would judge someone for this and assume there were a 'certain' type of girl.
There's a way to dress to make other people feel lesser than you??? O.o
A bra.
Original post by goodwinning
This was really helpful as I'm also going to Birmingham so thank you! Can I ask which club it is that requires you to wear heels?

I might bring just one pair of heels with me just in case. I don't really want to bring things I won't be using very much because I know student accommodation is tiny and I'm moving there by myself via train so want to pack as light as possible. That's why I made this thread. I've spoke to my flat mates and from what they've said I don't think anyone will be wearing heels at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechu is the only club that people wear heels to, so one pair is fine. I don't think there are any freshers events at mechu though. I wore my heels one time in the whole of first year haha. People also might wear heels to freshers ball but it doesn't really matter if you do or don't. I mean it when i say you can literally wear whatever you want. Have fun! If you've got any questions i'll be happy to answer.
clothes
Original post by ldsbabe
I just wore trainers and shorts. Anything goes, then again I live in Salford so..

lol manchester?

Original post by Josb
' googled freshers clothes:

lmao and to think she came fully clothed.
Original post by waxfilledtin
Mechu is the only club that people wear heels to, so one pair is fine. I don't think there are any freshers events at mechu though. I wore my heels one time in the whole of first year haha. People also might wear heels to freshers ball but it doesn't really matter if you do or don't. I mean it when i say you can literally wear whatever you want. Have fun! If you've got any questions i'll be happy to answer.

Hey, I'm going to Birmingham too! This sounds strange, but do people change clothes for clubbing and freshers events? I usually wear jeans/hoody during the day and a short bodycon dress to go clubbing, but I guess I could find something in the middle to suit both times. Will I be overdressed in sparkly dresses at clubs? :s-smilie:
Original post by stickstickstick
Hey, I'm going to Birmingham too! This sounds strange, but do people change clothes for clubbing and freshers events? I usually wear jeans/hoody during the day and a short bodycon dress to go clubbing, but I guess I could find something in the middle to suit both times. Will I be overdressed in sparkly dresses at clubs? :s-smilie:

Yeah people do get changed and do their hair, makeup and put a nice dress on! but alternatively jeans and a nice top are fine too. When we go out, the girls normally start getting ready around half 8 and do hair, makeup, put nice clothes on and then we start drinking around 10ish to leave at 11:45 haha, but freshers events you normally go way earlier! You won't be overdressed at all in whatever you wear, as long as its paired with flat shoes :tongue:
Just wear what the other people you're leaving with wear. You could always look at the club night photos too. This is the photos from one of the main student nights https://www.facebook.com/vodbullbham/photos_stream
If by freshers events you mean like the freshers fair in the daytime and the sports fair and stuff, just wear normal clothes lol. People do get changed after that.
Original post by waxfilledtin
Yeah people do get changed and do their hair, makeup and put a nice dress on! but alternatively jeans and a nice top are fine too. When we go out, the girls normally start getting ready around half 8 and do hair, makeup, put nice clothes on and then we start drinking around 10ish to leave at 11:45 haha, but freshers events you normally go way earlier! You won't be overdressed at all in whatever you wear, as long as its paired with flat shoes :tongue:
Just wear what the other people you're leaving with wear. You could always look at the club night photos too. This is the photos from one of the main student nights https://www.facebook.com/vodbullbham/photos_stream
If by freshers events you mean like the freshers fair in the daytime and the sports fair and stuff, just wear normal clothes lol. People do get changed after that.

That's great, thanks! Sounds similar to what I was hoping for - I like dressing up at night but I'd rather be comfy during the day. And that's so good about not needing heels, I hate wearing them because then it pushes me up to about 6ft2 ish! I'll grab some more flats to wear with dresses now :smile:
Reply 52
Student nights are pretty chill, dress up if you're going anywhere fancy.
Well in my experience it differs from girl to girl but as a general rule you day it's a t shirt or sweater tight is jeans and trainers or boots at night well of course it differs from gorl to girl but let's take one of my friends as an example she would where a tight short de am icroscurt and a tight lo cut top and booties .
Original post by domonict
Most people have this weird fantasy about "freshers" as if it is a mixture of prom and the in-betweeners movie

It varies from uni to uni and can be longer or shorter but is basically a week of trudging around a campus to register and find facilities, join clubs and explore before term starts.

There are booze fuelled trips organised ( some unis stamp down hard on them now due to complaints) at the same time as say the CU organises a "meet and greet" prayer session with tea and biscuits .
Being a uni and in the UK, booze will feature but not necessarily in everything

Dress sense is an individual thing. Some types like clubbing , some students like sticky floored pubs and heavy metal. Be yourself, but be willing to go along with the vibe.

This. I'll be wearing my standard stuff during the day (jeans/black skirt/shorts and band tees/vests or whatever, and trainers) then going along with whatever theme night.

Don't dress up in stuff you're not comfortable in because it will show. Just wear whatever you like wearing! I'll be the one in the sticky floored pubs going to Rock City every week. :tongue:
I'm just wearing my usual household clothes as I'm a student working from home 😨😰

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually a cocktail dress or full length ball gown and massive pins

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be wearing my normal wardrobe at uni. Why on earth would you get dressed up. Girls and their judging and competitiveness, ugh:rant:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I will be wearing my normal wardrobe at uni.

What does that consist of?
nowadays they wear nothing just walk around naked

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending