The Student Room Group

"Can't you hear me, S.O.S.?": TLG's PhD study blog!

Scroll to see replies

so ur gunna become Dr. of ABBA?? subscribd
Original post by vis break

That's the plan :colone:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Apply for cheerleading position(s) by following/posting on this thread :biggrin:

Can I be the flyer? :woo:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98
Can I be the flyer? :woo:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've no idea what a flyer is :redface: Is that the cheerleader who tends to get tossed in the air? :tongue:

Either way, of course you can be the flyer :colone:

Thankies :h:
Original post by vis break

Hmmm... maybe I should market mine as 'Dr of TSR' :beard:
Original post by Craghyrax
Hmmm... maybe I should market mine as 'Dr of TSR' :beard:

You totes should :ahee:

(You're up late - hope you're OK?!?! :eek: )

(You're up late - hope you're OK?!?! :eek: )

:ninja: :o:
There will be a stop to this when I have a study blog! :shakecane:
I've no idea what a flyer is :redface: Is that the cheerleader who tends to get tossed in the air? :tongue:

Either way, of course you can be the flyer :colone:

Thankies :h:

Yes, it totally is aha XD Thank you too! :bubbles:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Craghyrax
:ninja: :o:
There will be a stop to this when I have a study blog! :shakecane:

With regards to your own study blog: link or GTFO :teehee:

Original post by Anon_98
Yes, it totally is aha XD Thank you too! :bubbles:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phew, that was a good guess of mine :colondollar:
Depends what you mean - I'm not sure one can say there is 'objectively' a "best" ABBA song. I think it's a very intricate song that no other band would have come out with, if that's what you mean :smile:

😉 I am understanding that to be a 'yes'
Original post by tomfailinghelp
😉 I am understanding that to be a 'yes'

Well my vote actually goes for 'The Winner Takes It All', but you can take it as a 'yes' if you like :biggrin:
A bit about my specific PhD project: I am doing an ethnographic study of ABBA fandom in the 21st century :awesome: (Ethnographic means that there's a practical element to the research, like going to fan meet-ups/conventions and interviewing people, etc, rather than just theorising ABBA based on my own guesswork/conclusions.)

I chose to do this partly because I am an ABBA fan myself, but also because I think ABBA are an interesting case study, since they continue to be part of mainstream culture despite having never reformed. (They have actually turned down $1 billion USD in the past to reform :headfire: ) I figured there must be some interesting things to say about them!

I have been doing participant-observation fieldwork with the UK branch of the Official International ABBA Fan Club, and have interviewed an ABBA biographer, as well as the curator/director of the ABBA Museum in Stockholm. I've also been keeping tabs on Facebook groups revolving around ABBA. So a lot of my work involves hanging round on Facebook. Such a tough life I lead :emo:

:tongue:
They have actually turned down $1 billion USD in the past to reform :headfire:

Oh my god. Why on Earth did they turn that down?! I've never thought about ABBA much but Wikipedia informs me that Frida is from Nordland! :eek3:
Subbed :pierre:

Good luck hun :lovehug:
Original post by Snufkin
Oh my god. Why on Earth did they turn that down?! I've never thought about ABBA much but Wikipedia informs me that Frida is from Nordland! :eek3:

Not sure, but they did verify that story a few years ago (before it had just been a rumour). It's kinda interesting in a way because the men (the ABBA women don't really do much promotion of the ABBA brand these days) apparently had to be coaxed into doing the Mamma Mia! musical (which first opened in 1999) because they were not so interested in promoting ABBA's legacy. Yet since then, we've had the film, the museum and a new ABBA-related attraction is being built as I type, next door to the Museum! So maybe they have changed their attitudes towards their work with ABBA and maybe they would consider it differently now.

That said, I am glad they have never (and likely, will never) reform because I think it would be so hyped up and then fail to live up to expectation :yes:

Yes, she's half-Norweigian, half-German, but brought up by her grandmother in Sweden from a very young age :yep:
Original post by Mazzini
Subbed :pierre:

Good luck hun :lovehug:

:ahee:

Thankies :lovehug:
:ahee:

Thankies :lovehug:

You will be fab :top:

Luke 1:37 NRSVA

'For nothing will be impossible with God.'
Yes, she's half-Norweigian, half-German, but brought up by her grandmother in Sweden from a very young age :yep:

I'm surprised her mother went off with a German considering how hated the Germans were, and how active normal people were in the resistance. But still, Nordland, woo (see sig).
Original post by Snufkin
I'm surprised her mother went off with a German considering how hated the Germans were, and how active normal people were in the resistance. But still, Nordland, woo (see sig).

Yeah I know what you mean, tiz a bit weird! But if it hadn't happened, then we would not have Frida! :eek: So it all worked out for the best, I guess :tongue:
Original post by Snufkin

Yeah I know what you mean, tiz a bit weird! But if it hadn't happened, then we would not have Frida! :eek: So it all worked out for the best, I guess :tongue:

I read an article about Norway's 'war children' and how German soldiers were permitted (indeed actively encouraged) to pursue relationships with Norwegian women as part of the Lebensborn programme, as the Norwegians were considered Aryan. To this day the children of those relationships are ostracised and discriminated against in Norway, which is why the family settled in Sweden I believe. The wider story is very interesting but also very sad - wikipedia page here gives an introduction.

I'll go back to lurking now :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending