The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy applicants 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kstim
Hi im just wondering if £2300 is the maximum loan physios can get without having dependents etc?

Ill be moving out in accomodation that costs £4500per year and £2300 just seems like a very small amount, I will also be working 20 hours poer week to help me through it.

I know theres no course fees, but how do they expect us live through uni with such a low maintanence loan?

Have you applied for a bursary? Dependant on your situation you could get up to £480 a month I think it is which is on top of the maintenance loan- however mine worked out that I can only get it for this year as my dads pension comes in this year and I'm still classed as dependant (very stupid as he isn't exactly going to get his pension and then give it all to me)
Reply 2721
Original post by moonandstars
Have you applied for a bursary? Dependant on your situation you could get up to £480 a month I think it is which is on top of the maintenance loan- however mine worked out that I can only get it for this year as my dads pension comes in this year and I'm still classed as dependant (very stupid as he isn't exactly going to get his pension and then give it all to me)

I didnt know about this actually, is that on the BOSS nhs site? My dad earns quite a high wage whereas my mum doesnt but they've separated last year so maybe ill get some extra since technically im living with her?

How do i go about the process of applying for more?
Original post by Kstim
I didnt know about this actually, is that on the BOSS nhs site? My dad earns quite a high wage whereas my mum doesnt but they've separated last year so maybe ill get some extra since technically im living with her?

How do i go about the process of applying for more?

It's an NHS bursary yes on that website and it's means tested so it will go on your household income, so if you're living with your Mum know then you may be able to get something :smile: I previously did 1 year of a different healthcare course before applying for Physio and it was a huge help basically paid my rent and bills each month with the amount I got. I'm unsure of the process if you're studying in England but it would definitely be worth phoning the university and asking them, for Wales it was the same website where you apply for your tuition fees to be paid for but I don't know if England is a different system. You don't have to pay it back at all either unlike the loan
Reply 2723
Original post by moonandstars
It's an NHS bursary yes on that website and it's means tested so it will go on your household income, so if you're living with your Mum know then you may be able to get something :smile: I previously did 1 year of a different healthcare course before applying for Physio and it was a huge help basically paid my rent and bills each month with the amount I got. I'm unsure of the process if you're studying in England but it would definitely be worth phoning the university and asking them, for Wales it was the same website where you apply for your tuition fees to be paid for but I don't know if England is a different system. You don't have to pay it back at all either unlike the loan

Ive jut called the NHS bursary system and they said i can get just under £4500per year, plus the £1000 non means tested bursary. All that on top of my £2300 loan is amazing!

I thought I was really going to struggle through uni but now it should be great and it will mean I can drop my hours at work!

Thanks for the advice i was really worried until you mentioned all of this haha.
I've got a conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam University for BSC(Hons) Physiotherapy and attended a pre-course day at the uni on July 12th and had my hepatitis B vaccination and bloods taken etc. in my occupational health checks. I am due to go back on Thursday 11th August for my booster jab and second hepatitis B vaccine. I just wondered if anybody knew where we have to go for these whether it is back to the university campus where we had our pre-course day or to one of the neighbouring hospitals such as Northern General or Royal Hallamshire?
Original post by Kstim
Ive jut called the NHS bursary system and they said i can get just under £4500per year, plus the £1000 non means tested bursary. All that on top of my £2300 loan is amazing!

I thought I was really going to struggle through uni but now it should be great and it will mean I can drop my hours at work!

Thanks for the advice i was really worried until you mentioned all of this haha.

Hey :smile: ah that's great! No worries yeah sometimes they aren't quite clear about what you're entitled to but that will definitely be a massive help! Glad it's sorted for you
Reply 2726
Keele have a new Facebook page for new students starting this September :smile: X The link for it is on their main health & rehabilitation Keele page
Slightly confused...this year i done a mixture of alevels and a BTEC; im seeing on uni fb groups that people who done BTECs, the ucas track has already changed. I know mine wont fully change till next week but was unsure whether the conditions should change?
Original post by CCE0924
I've got a conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam University for BSC(Hons) Physiotherapy and attended a pre-course day at the uni on July 12th and had my hepatitis B vaccination and bloods taken etc. in my occupational health checks. I am due to go back on Thursday 11th August for my booster jab and second hepatitis B vaccine. I just wondered if anybody knew where we have to go for these whether it is back to the university campus where we had our pre-course day or to one of the neighbouring hospitals such as Northern General or Royal Hallamshire?

Hi
I am also going to get the booster jab on the 11th, I got told it was in the same place as the pre-course day.
Original post by EJS12
Does anybody know if there is a Facebook group for Uni of Liverpool physios yet?

Sorry I don't have the answer to this.
I wondered if I could pick your brain please regarding your UCAS personal statement. Would you be able to give e a general idea of what you wrote in it? And how many lines did you used to talk about yourself? Thanks!
Between Queen Margaret and Sheffield Hallam. Which is the better choice?
Anyone else going to Salford??! Is there a facebook group or anything?? :biggrin: x
Did anyone not get the grades :frown:? I was way way way off!! Exhausted all of my options waiting to hear from Worcester as they may potentially offer me a last minute interview, but plan C is get on the phone to some colleges tomorrow and enrol onto an access to Healthcare :frown: absolutely gutted. Plus my insurance told me they don't accept resit students so that's them out for next year. Best of luck everyone, I'll get there hopefully see some of you next year wherever I end up x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2733
Hey anybody else for Kings?? 😊
Reply 2734
Congratulations to everyone who picked up results today, I hope you guys are looking forward to studying Physiotherapy! If you did not get the grades, it is not the end of the world. There are many routes into Physiotherapy!
I was in your position 2 years go, and will be going into my final year in September!
If you want to get a head start on everyone else, start learning all the bones, muscles (plus their actions) and muscle attachments (origin and insertion). I found myself stressing during exam periods in 1st year as there is so much to know and wished I used my summer to learn some of the basics a little more!
Any questions about anything to do with starting Physiotherapy at university, please let me know! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123Izzy
Anyone else going to Salford??! Is there a facebook group or anything?? :biggrin: x

what grades did you get if you mind me asking?:smile: Im thinking of going to Salford next year
Hello! Has anyone got into Southampton for physio? :smile:
Reply 2737
Anyone going to Cardiff and know if there is a Facebook group or anything?
Original post by Meh97
Anyone going to Cardiff and know if there is a Facebook group or anything?

Hey, I'm going to cardiff, moving into halls as well....just accepted cartwright court. I've not seen a particular physio facebook group though.
Original post by JLMSL
Congratulations to everyone who picked up results today, I hope you guys are looking forward to studying Physiotherapy! If you did not get the grades, it is not the end of the world. There are many routes into Physiotherapy!
I was in your position 2 years go, and will be going into my final year in September!
If you want to get a head start on everyone else, start learning all the bones, muscles (plus their actions) and muscle attachments (origin and insertion). I found myself stressing during exam periods in 1st year as there is so much to know and wished I used my summer to learn some of the basics a little more!
Any questions about anything to do with starting Physiotherapy at university, please let me know! :smile:

Hey - what is the interview process for physio like? Is it an interview and a group exercise too? I am applying dor 2017 intake. Tvm!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending