The Student Room Group

How can I get rid of this University Accommodation Room?

Hi there and thank you for reading

I have gone back to study 2nd year music at university of Sheffield after having taken a leave of absence for a year to see if I could really commit myself to my course.
I am regretting now being in halls of residence waiting for the new term to start and I want to find a replacement tenant for my flat.
I'm a very talented musician but I am so concerned about ending up seriously struggling for money in years to come because of my student debt, being £6,000 x 4 (because I did 1st year twice).

How can I get rid of this room?

I really need someone to take it. Would a site like Gumtree or Spareroom be my best bet or shall I go to the accomodation office at my uni in the morning?

Many thanks, Sorry to bore you!
And also, does anyone think a music degree is a black hole that will engulf my future? I have scary premonitions..
Reply 2
You won't be able to advertise uni-owned accommodation outside the uni, so not Gumtree etc. Your uni should be able to advise on their internal process for what you want. There may be a waiting list for your accommodation, from which they can find someone to take over your room. Failing that, they will give you pointers on how you might go about finding a new tenant.

Student Finance loan repayments are linked to how much you earn. You won't start repaying until you earn £21,000, at which point you will pay around £9 a month at the current rates. Repayment amounts will only increase if you start earning more. If you earn below £21,000, you won't make any repayments at all. I started uni in 2008 and I made my first repayment last month! Seriously - at this stage it's much more important to justify the debt by concentrating on your studies, than worrying about a scenario which a) might not start for years and b) when it does, you will barely be impacted.

No degree will be "a black hole which engulfs your future". You are getting things very out of proportion and I'd advise you to go and talk to your uni's Student Support folks.
Im interested in this - my son has gone into halls out our local Uni and is now regretting commiting to the cost. Whilst we have read in line that they hold waiting lists, they are refusing to help and say that my son has to advertise externally to find a tenant. Sounds crazy and whilst we have asked how to go about doing that, theyve offered no help at all. Very unimpressed.
Original post by Klix88
You won't be able to advertise uni-owned accommodation outside the uni, so not Gumtree etc. Your uni should be able to advise on their internal process for what you want. There may be a waiting list for your accommodation, from which they can find someone to take over your room. Failing that, they will give you pointers on how you might go about finding a new tenant.

Student Finance loan repayments are linked to how much you earn. You won't start repaying until you earn £21,000, at which point you will pay around £9 a month at the current rates. Repayment amounts will only increase if you start earning more. If you earn below £21,000, you won't make any repayments at all. I started uni in 2008 and I made my first repayment last month! Seriously - at this stage it's much more important to justify the debt by concentrating on your studies, than worrying about a scenario which a) might not start for years and b) when it does, you will barely be impacted.

No degree will be "a black hole which engulfs your future". You are getting things very out of proportion and I'd advise you to go and talk to your uni's Student Support folks.

Hi Klix88, thank you very much indeed for your answer to my question. That's really encouraging to hear.
Yes your completely right the repayments are 10% of what you earn per year over £21,000.I'm just wondering how much money that will mean in real terms for me after I graduate; how much I will need that £100 a year if I earn £22k pa or that £200 if I earn £32k pa.I'm not really aware of how likely it is for me to be earning those kind of salaries.I'm concerned that the current government or a future will also retrospectively change the rates of repayments as well, do you think this is likely to happen?What are average graduate salaries like? As a musician I'm going to have to have a portfolio career of teaching, session playing and all sorts of things together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending