The Student Room Group

Moving to Manchester area soon; very anxious/having panic attacks when in public

Hi all,

I'm soon to move to Manchester very soon for the better work prospects and to live with other half. I'm currently visiting and staying in partners' place (where I'll move to soon).

Problem is, I'm socially anxious and panic all the time, I feel people are going to break into the house, I get edgy when out in the centre of manchester. I can't switch off.

I'm not saying the whole of Manchester is full of robbers, theives, rapists and murderers, but I feel so out of place. Realistically of course, it's just as dangerous as any other place.

Day before yesterday, I was out in Piccadilly Gardens walking around, and there was probably thousands of people flocking and walking about. I had eyes on me everywhere, I was sweating, and I thought to myself "keep an eye out". Even on metro tram I was edgy as ****.

Thing is, I'm from a small village in the Yorkshire countryside, and have only ever lived in quaint seaside resorts and small villages. Been in a city is anxiety provoking- and it's getting me down. I know the city boasts much better prospects for m, and my partner is here. What can I do to help myself?
Original post by royal1990

Day before yesterday, I was out in Piccadilly Gardens walking around, and there was probably thousands of people flocking and walking about. I had eyes on me everywhere, I was sweating, and I thought to myself "keep an eye out". Even on metro tram I was edgy as ****.

I was commuting home from work through Piccadilly Gardens a couple of days ago, thought "who's that edgy looking person over there and why are they sweating so much?".

Haha nah, really nobody even notices you in the middle of town, everybody's got somewhere to be so we're not all wandering around looking at people. Manchester's such a friendly place anyway, if you start a conversation with someone you'll probably get a good response most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending