The Student Room Group

Clogged ears?

I'm getting over a cold (well I hope so) but my ears are clogged/feel full. Is this normal? Any ideas on how to unclog them? I've tried moving my jaw, chewing, yawning. But they are still clogged up.
Original post by Lucy5446
I'm getting over a cold (well I hope so) but my ears are clogged/feel full. Is this normal? Any ideas on how to unclog them? I've tried moving my jaw, chewing, yawning. But they are still clogged up.

Take a deep breath, close your mouth and try to blow out as hard as you can without opening your mouth.
Hey, I've noticed you've made a few threads about these problems you're having with this cold. I feel like you might have something else stressing you out because you're becoming anxious about all aspects of your health. Go and see your GP and mention this and any other problems you're having perhaps stress that you're experiencing. Make a double appointment and go and see a GP who hasn't hurried you out of the door in the past.

In answer to your OP yeah it's normal for ears to block up after and during a cold. Ear nose and throat are all connected.
buy some earwax remover from your friendly neighbourhood pharmacist... if the problem persists make an appointment to have your ears syringed out by the practice nurse at your GPs.
I clean my ears out with a fingernail :ahee:

I have small ear canals, so cottonbuds do nothing but push the wax further into my ear. So I took to growing out the fingernail on my little finger in a bid to scoop the wax out, and it works nigh-on perfectly. Unfortunately I've bitten it off now, but the nail usually approaches an inch in length before I deem it to be "too long".

10/10 would recommend.
(Would also recommend washing your hands afterwards)

Inb4 "ew gross".
Yeah I'm gross, it's inherent in my nature; slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails innit :h:
Original post by Joinedup
buy some earwax remover from your friendly neighbourhood pharmacist... if the problem persists make an appointment to have your ears syringed out by the practice nurse at your GPs.

Have you ever had your ears syringed? It's the weirdest feeling. Probably not as weird as an appointment at the proctologist, but weird nonetheless.
Reply 6
Original post by tehforum
Take a deep breath, close your mouth and try to blow out as hard as you can without opening your mouth.

And end up with a perforated eardrum.
Original post by jneill
And end up with a perforated eardrum.

Explain
Original post by Drunk Punx
Have you ever had your ears syringed? It's the weirdest feeling. Probably not as weird as an appointment at the proctologist, but weird nonetheless.

I think having my ears syringed feels absolutely delightful - would recommend :top:

never tried the other thing tbh
Reply 9
Original post by tehforum
Explain

You said "as hard as you can" - that can lead to a perforated eardrum

Better advice is to do it gently but firmly.

http://www.healthylife.com/online/HealthierAtHome/ASEA/Earaches.html
To Open Up the Eustachian Tubes and Help Them Drain
•Sit up. Prop your head up when you sleep.
•Yawn. This helps move the muscles that open the Eustachian tubes.
•Chew gum or suck on hard candy. (Do not give to children under age 5.) This tip is especially helpful during pressure changes that take place during air travel, but can also help if you wake up with ear pain.
•When traveling by air, stay awake when the plane takes off and lands. Wear ear plugs.
•Take a steamy shower.
•Use a cool-mist vaporizer, especially at night.
•Drink plenty of cool water.
Gently, but firmly, blow through your nose while holding both nostrils closed until you hear a pop. This can be done several times a day.
•If okay with your doctor, take a decongestant to help relieve the swelling that causes the pain. (Don’t use a nasal spray decongestant for more than 3 days unless directed by your doctor.
Original post by Joinedup
I think having my ears syringed feels absolutely delightful - would recommend :top:

never tried the other thing tbh

I hated it. And it's left me with permanent hearing problems.
Original post by OU Student
I hated it. And it's left me with permanent hearing problems.

Sorry to hear that...

a less invasive alternative is to have a hot (be sensible) bath and keep your ears underwater for a few minutes. come to think about it most of my earwax problems have occurred when I've been living somewhere without a bathtub incl. university accommodation.
Reply 12
Thank you everyone for the replies. Will it make my ears worse if I go in a hot bath? I've hurt my stomach and it helps to go in the bath so I usually put my ears under too!
Original post by Lucy5446
Thank you everyone for the replies. Will it make my ears worse if I go in a hot bath? I've hurt my stomach and it helps to go in the bath so I usually put my ears under too!

don't think so - if you get a lot of crackling noises that's a sign that earwax is building up afaik.

Quick Reply

Latest