The Student Room Group

I've lost all confidence

I emailed three of the Uni's I wanted to attend, after telling them my predicted grades they told me that they would be unable to consider me for admission to the course.

Does this mean I have zero chance of attending a good uni? I underachieved in my AS levels, and i've been predicted ACC, my personal statement and reference is good but I know they'll be looking at my predicted grades before looking at the PS.

Since I'm determined to do well this year and achieve AAB or ABB. I've got no spare time and I'm always studying especially since I'm retaking most of the modules I did last year, but if I'm going to get rejected, I'll loose all motivation to work hard.

Should I continue working hard? Even if I get rejected?
Reply 1
Get the grades, take a gap year and apply?
Reply 2
Original post by Ruby17
Get the grades, take a gap year and apply?

I would love to use that route... but I don't think taking a gap year will be possible due to personal reasons. But in the end of the day, I think taking a gap year would be the easiest option. :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by yam97
I emailed three of the Uni's I wanted to attend, after telling them my predicted grades they told me that they would be unable to consider me for admission to the course.

Does this mean I have zero chance of attending a good uni? I underachieved in my AS levels, and i've been predicted ACC, my personal statement and reference is good but I know they'll be looking at my predicted grades before looking at the PS.

Since I'm determined to do well this year and achieve AAB or ABB. I've got no spare time and I'm always studying especially since I'm retaking most of the modules I did last year, but if I'm going to get rejected, I'll loose all motivation to work hard.

Should I continue working hard? Even if I get rejected?

How badly did you mess up as-levels?
What did you get and what uni course are you looking at doing?

You still may have a good chance at getting into a RG presuming your as grades translate well and are somewhat realistic with your a2 predictions.
Reply 4
Original post by Windies
How badly did you mess up as-levels?
What did you get and what uni course are you looking at doing?

You still may have a good chance at getting into a RG presuming your as grades translate well and are somewhat realistic with your a2 predictions.

The course I'm interested in is Economics or Business
I got
B - Economics
D- Maths
E - English Lit

I was able to persuade my english lit teacher to increase the grade up by two since I was predicted a B last year for AS.
Reply 5
Original post by yam97
I would love to use that route... but I don't think taking a gap year will be possible due to personal reasons. But in the end of the day, I think taking a gap year would be the easiest option. :s-smilie:

I think it will, I mean I know a girl who resat her exams (we do CIE, so we can't regive modules, we have to regive the entire exam) even though she had applied, she ended up getting good grades and is now taking a Gap year So she can apply to better universities :smile:
You don't have to travel during your gap year, you can just get a job and learn how to be financially independent (for that independence is what you need if you're staying on campus at the uni you get into). Of course, travelling makes the gap year "more fulfilling" but it's not affordable at times
Reply 7
Original post by yam97
The course I'm interested in is Economics or Business
I got
B - Economics
D- Maths
E - English Lit

I was able to persuade my english lit teacher to increase the grade up by two since I was predicted a B last year for AS.

Do

English Literature you should be able to pull up comfortably to a B grade with a resit and hard-work at A2. I probably did 4 timed essays the entire year and got an A, what I did right was ticking-off all of the AO's for each question and starting with a very strong intro + p1 for each question which definitely helped in getting the examiner on my side.

Economics you should be fine - there is more than enough content/help available plus just memorize examiner reports + mark schemes, do extended self-reading and smash out papers.

Haven't done Maths so can't comment :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by shawn_o1
You don't have to travel during your gap year, you can just get a job and learn how to be financially independent (for that independence is what you need if you're staying on campus at the uni you get into). Of course, travelling makes the gap year "more fulfilling" but it's not affordable at times

For me travelling might be affordable... but will it benefit me in anyway? Should I do something like volunteering?
Original post by yam97
Oh my. But I'm asking for help... at least I'm trying to fix it. ^^

fair enough..well done...your solving your problems, nice
Original post by yam97
For me travelling might be affordable... but will it benefit me in anyway? Should I do something like volunteering?

You can do that but paid experience i.e. a proper job looks more attractive in your CV.
Reply 11
Original post by Windies
Do

English Literature you should be able to pull up comfortably to a B grade with a resit and hard-work at A2. I probably did 4 timed essays the entire year and got an A, what I did right was ticking-off all of the AO's for each question and starting with a very strong intro + p1 for each question which definitely helped in getting the examiner on my side.

Economics you should be fine - there is more than enough content/help available plus just memorize examiner reports + mark schemes, do extended self-reading and smash out papers.

Haven't done Maths so can't comment :tongue:

Thank you ^_^ I need to work hard this year. I'm resitting eng lit and maths so I'm hoping I can push my grades up.
Reply 12
Original post by shawn_o1
You can do that but paid experience i.e. a proper job looks more attractive in your CV.

Ahh I see, thank you. :smile:
Original post by yam97
Thank you ^_^ I need to work hard this year. I'm resitting eng lit and maths so I'm hoping I can push my grades up.

What exam boards did you do for Eng Lit and Eco?
Reply 14
Original post by money-for-all
fair enough..well done...your solving your problems, nice

Indeed.
Reply 15
Original post by Windies
What exam boards did you do for Eng Lit and Eco?

Both are AQA. :smile:
Original post by yam97
Both are AQA. :smile:

Lol.
Both Edexcel here.
Economics is perfect but English Literature the boundaries are ridiculous 79/100 in the as exam for an A... though AQA are far more stringent in their marking.
Reply 17
Original post by Windies
Lol.
Both Edexcel here.
Economics is perfect but English Literature the boundaries are ridiculous 79/100 in the as exam for an A... though AQA are far more stringent in their marking.

I get what you mean. :| Throughout last year I was getting B's or C's in my English Lit mocks, but on results day I found out that I got a U in the exam. Either my examiner was a strict one or my teacher was being very lenient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending