The Student Room Group

Has a teacher ever taught you the wrong stuff?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Most things I've been taught in R.E. are bull****.
I kid you not in my maths book this happened
me: 4*4=16
Teacher: x wrong = 2
My mum wrote a note telling him to go revise his tables.
Reply 42
Original post by Lemur14
Our current GCSE biology teacher teaches us the wrong stuff all the time. eg. we were talking about mitochondria and she said it was x and I was then talking with people on here and they said it was something totally different (which considering the standard of her teaching anyway is no surprise)

Same here, I was somehow told that Enzymes and that was B2.2 and that Photosynthesis was B2.3 and I have asked @MrMackyTv and he says it's the other way round. Regardless of that I still haven't covered B2.1-B2.3 properly as he keeps on rushing the lesson for no absolute reason. This week I have Biology all week and I'm kinda dreading it.
Reply 43
Original post by TonksTheCat

Haha that is so funny ... Did he/she make a genuine mistake?
Original post by XcitingStuart
x

To make a long story short, I once had a history teacher who taught us that the Russian Revolution happened because of bread. Not the fault of the tsar, nothing to do with Russia entering WW1 when they weren't ready, just bread. Can you tell why everyone failed the exam? We didn't learn anything.
Original post by Fleming1928
To make a long story short, I once had a history teacher who taught us that the Russian Revolution happened because of bread. Not the fault of the tsar, nothing to do with Russia entering WW1 when they weren't ready, just bread. Can you tell why everyone failed the exam? We didn't learn anything.

:O

I think I remember that story being shared before, and even when you said the correct things, she'd mark it as wrong and tell you to write bread.

Perhaps she should have bought some fresh warm bread from the bakers to emphasise her point? :tongue:
Original post by JTran38
Haha that is so funny ... Did he/she make a genuine mistake?

Yea his excuse was he was tried when he marked it, but he was an awful teacher.
Reply 47
Yea his excuse was he was tried when he marked it, but he was an awful teacher.

That is bad. My maths teacher makes occasional silly errors but he's a great teacher though a bit stubborn.
Reply 48
Original post by Fleming1928
a history teacher who taught us that the Russian Revolution happened because of bread.
Hmm. Did the teacher also say the Mrs Tsar suggested the peasants should eat cake, and the Russian upper classes were executed by guillotine? And then Napoleon took over? :smile:
Original post by JTran38
Same here, I was somehow told that Enzymes and that was B2.2 and that Photosynthesis was B2.3 and I have asked @MrMackyTv and he says it's the other way round. Regardless of that I still haven't covered B2.1-B2.3 properly as he keeps on rushing the lesson for no absolute reason. This week I have Biology all week and I'm kinda dreading it.

I'd hate to have biology all week. Thankfully this week we only have it once (on Friday) but we have biology catch up as well tomorrow and I have biology homework (which makes very little sense) to do this evening. We don't even get told which section bits are in, we just have to look it up in the occasions that we are allowed the textbook out.

lol. In our first maths lesson this year the teach asked what's 2 times 1 and someone shouted out 3 and the teacher wrote it down without thinking as we're a top set and he trusted us to get it right:tongue:
Original post by XcitingStuart
:O

I think I remember that story being shared before, and even when you said the correct things, she'd mark it as wrong and tell you to write bread.

Perhaps she should have bought some fresh warm bread from the bakers to emphasise her point? :tongue:

Yes I definitely wrote about this before :biggrin:

She should've brought in some bread straight from Russia ... this ... this is the bread which causes social struggle and unrest! :laugh:
Original post by Simes
Hmm. Did the teacher also say the Mrs Tsar suggested the peasants should eat cake, and the Russian upper classes were executed by guillotine? And then Napoleon took over? :smile:

Well .. she said that Lenin wasn't important and that it was all Trotsky? :unimpressed:
In year 3 my teacher told me a rectangle has 4 lines of symmetry.
I was too shy to object so everyone ended up digesting the wrong information.

Then there was loads of confusion between oxidation vs reduction reactions and endo vs exothermic reactions in year 11. The reactions switched every time.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
In language classes my work was always corrected wrongly. My mum did French at Uni and she'd look through my work book and tell me all the wrong corrections my teachers had made.
Last year when I was doing my Psychology AS, we had two teachers. One of them was teaching the Stress unit, and when she left the room one Biology student turns around to the rest of the class and goes 'Don't listen to anything she's telling you, it's all wrong.', so everyone just went to the other teacher instead.
I had two teachers for Philosophy as well, and one was rubbish, while the other one was brilliant. The rubbish one conveniently forgot one topic completely, and taught us one that wasn't going to be on the exam instead. With what she had taught, we had to have extra lessons with the other teacher to learn it right.
Luckily I dropped Psychology and the rubbish Philosophy teacher left.
We were talking about things associated with certain countries in Geography, so I shouted out "Leprechauns" when we came to Ireland (because I was pretty ****ing funny even at that age) - apparently they don't exist, I was being sarcastic and was sent out of the class, but I know they're real :colonhash:
Original post by JTran38

There's no issue there.
Teachers teach it in different orders plenty of the time, because they're generally better that way.

e.g. learning about DNA, then learning the bit about it in bacteria after a slew of other topics seems counterintuitive, as it's easier to see the entire picture learning it altogether.

Or learning about enzymes and the digestive system before you have learnt what proteins, lipids and carbs are.

Ignore the order in which the syllabus is set out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my chemistry teachers at GCSE was like 70 and kept forgetting stuff and getting mixed up and having to look it up in the textbook, she also couldn't remember how to turn on the computer which was a problem as a lot of our course included internet resources. Four people in the class including me somehow managed to do well in the year 10 end of year exams and moved up to a set with a different teacher and understood literally nothing, turned out she hadn't taught us an entire section of the year 10 part of the course and what she had taught us was literally all wrong, like she got element abbreviations wrong ffs :lol: I got 2/40 in my mock, which was based on year 10 stuff and had to drop chemistry and I heard that over half her class got Us in the real thing. What really worries me is that she's still teaching this year:s-smilie:
I once had a really bad English teacher misspell "intrigue" on the board. She also asked us if we knew what paragraphs were. This was an AS class.
Reply 59
Original post by Lemur14
I'd hate to have biology all week. Thankfully this week we only have it once (on Friday) but we have biology catch up as well tomorrow and I have biology homework (which makes very little sense) to do this evening. We don't even get told which section bits are in, we just have to look it up in the occasions that we are allowed the textbook out.

I'm currently typing up AQA B2 Revision notes on Microsoft Word which I'll save for later reference, will print out B2 1.2 ad B2 1.2 for tomorrow.

I hate doing my homework but I do it anyways as I know it's beneficial and I do want the top grades for GCSEs. You may know from my GYG thread that the SLTs had took my planner for moderating at a meeting after school. Personally, I don't understand the fuss over it and annoying not all of my H/W are displayed on Show My Homework.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending