The Student Room Group

Was UCL a bad choice?

I sent off my ucas application 2 days ago(for the oxford deadline), and last minute put down UCL as an option. I was in such a rush that I didn't read the requirements and apparently a C or above is required at GCSE in a foreign language. Is there any way that I can get in without it?
6 A* 3 A at IGCSE (only languages are english and lit)
3 A 1 B at AS
2 A* 2 A A-level predicted

The other requirement is AAA at A level. Since I have received predicted grades above that do you think I will get an offer? Or will I need to sit a language GCSE this year?
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't know why UCL keep saying that is a requirement because every year they take hundreds of people without a language GCSE. I think you have to do a language course in your first year to make up for not having one, although I wouldn't be surprised if you can get out of it. You will be fine.
Original post by iscribbletoomuch
I sent off my ucas application 2 days ago(for the oxford deadline), and last minute put down UCL as an option. I was in such a rush that I didn't read the requirements and apparently a C or above is required at GCSE in a foreign language. Is there any way that I can get in without it?
3 A 1 B at AS

The other requirement is AAA at A level. Since I have received predicted grades above that do you think I will get an offer? Or will I need to sit a language GCSE this year?

UCL is a very competitive uni and there is no guarantee of getting an offer. Iseem to remember reading that even though foreign language is part of their conditions they don't insist on. check the UCL site fully for more info.
Reply 3
3 A 1 B at AS

Your AS grades are horrible, why did your school predict you with this kind of prediction and let you take on 4 subjects
Original post by O$car
Your AS grades are horrible, why did your school predict you with this kind of prediction and let you take on 4 subjects

She got AAAB for AS. What on earth are you talking about? Those grades are near perfect.
Reply 6
Original post by frozen_fire
She got AAAB for AS. What on earth are you talking about? Those grades are near perfect.

Well i don't know about you but at my school someone could only take on four subjects if he/she got 95% overall or above. And they would never predict you with an A* if you got lower than 90% in AS.

Thanks this helps a lot!
Original post by O$car
Well i don't know about you but at my school someone could only take on four subjects if he/she got 95% overall or above. And they would never predict you with an A* if you got lower than 90% in AS.

Well I did follow tradition and drop a subject, it is just that I haven't actually finished my further maths as level yet, so I'll have 5 AS levels and 4 A levels. Who says I got lower than 90 in the subjects that I was predicted A*s? I got above 90% average in the 2 with A* predictions
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by frozen_fire

Thanks, but I'm a guy :P
Original post by O$car

You do realize it's not possible to be awarded an A* at AS level? Hence the OP may well have got above 90% in the AS subjects he is predicted an A* for at A2.
Reply 11
Well I did follow tradition and drop a subject, it is just that I haven't actually finished my further maths as level yet, so I'll have 5 AS levels and 4 A levels. Who says I got lower than 90 in the subjects that I was predicted A*s? I got above 90% average in the 2 with A* predictions

o.o sorry i assumed that you got below 90% on those two subjects ==, my bad!
Original post by O$car

AAAB is really good - how can they possibly be horrible? The prediction is absolutely fine if they got around 90+% at AS, and it's their choice as to whether they do four or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending