Turn on thread page Beta

Was UCL a bad choice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my ucas application 2 days ago(for the oxford deadline), and last minute put down UCL as an option. I was in such a rush that I didn't read the requirements and apparently a C or above is required at GCSE in a foreign language. Is there any way that I can get in without it?
    6 A* 3 A at IGCSE (only languages are english and lit)
    3 A 1 B at AS
    2 A* 2 A A-level predicted

The other requirement is AAA at A level. Since I have received predicted grades above that do you think I will get an offer? Or will I need to sit a language GCSE this year?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't know why UCL keep saying that is a requirement because every year they take hundreds of people without a language GCSE. I think you have to do a language course in your first year to make up for not having one, although I wouldn't be surprised if you can get out of it. You will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iscribbletoomuch)
    I sent off my ucas application 2 days ago(for the oxford deadline), and last minute put down UCL as an option. I was in such a rush that I didn't read the requirements and apparently a C or above is required at GCSE in a foreign language. Is there any way that I can get in without it?
    3 A 1 B at AS

The other requirement is AAA at A level. Since I have received predicted grades above that do you think I will get an offer? Or will I need to sit a language GCSE this year?
    UCL is a very competitive uni and there is no guarantee of getting an offer. Iseem to remember reading that even though foreign language is part of their conditions they don't insist on. check the UCL site fully for more info.

ReputationRep:
    3 A 1 B at AS

Your AS grades are horrible, why did your school predict you with this kind of prediction and let you take on 4 subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O$car)
    Your AS grades are horrible, why did your school predict you with this kind of prediction and let you take on 4 subjects
    She got AAAB for AS. What on earth are you talking about? Those grades are near perfect.

ReputationRep:
    this may help
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-ma...ssment/mfl#top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozen_fire)
    She got AAAB for AS. What on earth are you talking about? Those grades are near perfect.
    Well i don't know about you but at my school someone could only take on four subjects if he/she got 95% overall or above. And they would never predict you with an A* if you got lower than 90% in AS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks this helps a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O$car)
    Well i don't know about you but at my school someone could only take on four subjects if he/she got 95% overall or above. And they would never predict you with an A* if you got lower than 90% in AS.
    Well I did follow tradition and drop a subject, it is just that I haven't actually finished my further maths as level yet, so I'll have 5 AS levels and 4 A levels. Who says I got lower than 90 in the subjects that I was predicted A*s? I got above 90% average in the 2 with A* predictions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozen_fire)
    Thanks, but I'm a guy :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O$car)
    You do realize it's not possible to be awarded an A* at AS level? Hence the OP may well have got above 90% in the AS subjects he is predicted an A* for at A2.

ReputationRep:
    Well I did follow tradition and drop a subject, it is just that I haven't actually finished my further maths as level yet, so I'll have 5 AS levels and 4 A levels. Who says I got lower than 90 in the subjects that I was predicted A*s? I got above 90% average in the 2 with A* predictions
    o.o sorry i assumed that you got below 90% on those two subjects ==, my bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O$car)
    AAAB is really good - how can they possibly be horrible? The prediction is absolutely fine if they got around 90+% at AS, and it's their choice as to whether they do four or not.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.