The Student Room Group

I'm Worried About My Boyfriend

Ever since i've known my boyfriend (quite a few years now) I have discovered that any time that we go somewhere for the day, just shopping for example, he will complain of hip and knee pain relatively suddenly.
After half an hour of walking around he says he is in pain and wants to sit down or complains that his legs are hurting. He tells me that it's his knees and the inside of his hips.
He's only 23 and he is very slight but his weight doesn't seem to be a concern of the doctors.
I'm trying to push him to go and see a doctor about his pains because I think he may have arthritic changes but he doesn't want to go because he tries to assure me that he's fine and he doesn't have arthritis but won't go to confirm this.

I'm just worried because he's so young and it isn't normal for him to be in pain just from walking about. He doesn't often exercise either because he works long hours in an office, sat down all day, maybe this is a contributing factor.

I'm just looking for any advice on what to advise him or how to ease his pain or even kick him up the arse and get to the doctors! i'm a compulsive worrier and I would always rather it be me than him,

Thank-you!
Get him to the doctors. Better safe than sorry.
Him sitting for prolonged hours may be a reason but I'll say he should take Ibuprofen because it was recommend to me by my GP as I felt a constant sharp pain at the back part of my knee when I extend it.
--They said it was to do with exercising too much or the performing the wrong routine(which was absolutely false)--
I didn't take the pills though and got given a Ibuprofen Gel with Vitamin D capsules.
Reply 3
Thank-you, I'll pass that along. Maybe if he took it before we were going to go somewhere that required a lot of working the pain would stop for the time being.
Being a nursing student I feel like I should be able to help him more but i'm not far into my course, too much pressure on myself, I just want to help like i'd think any concerned partner would.
Well, typical of men who dont want to go. Try cod liver oil 1st. If no help try evening primrose oil. Try stay away from taking pain killers in the long term. I found 2 main causes. 1st is bad posture, especially in office job. 2nd, I used to have my wallet in my back pocket, and whenever i sat in car or sat down for longer journeys, it pushes my hip out of normal position, causing me to have hip pains.
I got that when I messed up my knee - I tore a hole in the cartilage. It would make his hip hurt as you compensate by moving your weight. I get pulled muscles in my hip every couple months, and that's after having it fixed!!

Quick Reply

Latest