The Student Room Group

Asked for a p45 form

I'll try to keep this brief. I dropped out of university and was told telling employers this would discourage them from employing me. I've never had a job and was told lying on my cv would give me a better chance. So I lied on my cv and in interviews said I didn't attend university. I got a job at Sainsbury and have worked a couple of shifts, but I was recently given a form that states I should bring in a P45 form. After looking into it I discovered this is something you attain from a past employer and if not you would fill out a starter list.

Now, my past work since April states I worked in a saloon. For around 6 months. Jan to June. I didn't state whether I was paid or not in the interview. So I was thinking I could say that it was work experience and I wasn't paid so I would have to fill out a starter list. Would that be possible?

Even then my starter list would point out that I went to university as I owe loans, revealing to the manager that I lied. Here I thought I could just explain to him personally how I was told it didn't look good on a cv and lowered my job prospects. What makes this harder is that he seems to have a lot of faith in me and spoke of how he sees me being able to achieve promotion as he states I have the skill set, but not the experience which I could gain during work. Now, I asked around and found he didn't state this to the others and I'm certain this isn't him just trying to get us to all work hard.

Other information is I dropped out of university around March this year.

So, what to do?

Scroll to see replies

You seriously need to stop lying about this stuff. As you've discovered, it's not going to work.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You seriously need to stop lying about this stuff. As you've discovered, it's not going to work.

I had no intention of lying after I completed working at sainsbury. So with that settled any advice on my situation?
You work for Sainsburys it would all be dealt with by HR so your manager would know nothing.
Original post by Mega0448
You work for Sainsburys it would all be dealt with by HR so your manager would know nothing.

I was told to hand in the form to the manager. It had their name and he was the person who interviewed me to which I said I hadn't attend university. I'm assuming that he inputs the information and he'll glance over it and find it odd that I owe student finance despite saying I didn't go university.
Reply 5
Original post by Chrollo-Lucilfer
I was told to hand in the form to the manager. It had their name and he was the person who interviewed me to which I said I hadn't attend university. I'm assuming that he inputs the information and he'll glance over it and find it odd that I owe student finance despite saying I didn't go university.

Unless you say you did a foundation degree at college, which would explain the student loans or say you do an OU degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
I hate to say it, but just say your previous employer hasn't given you a p45 despite requesting one. It happens a lot.

You will just be on emergency tax for a while but if you invest time calling HMRC to correct your tax code, this won't be a problem.

No one will see your payslips apart from payroll and you, so even the student loan repayments wouldn't even get picked up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't I say I was paid in cash and only worked weekends.
Reply 7
Original post by Chrollo-Lucilfer
Couldn't I say I was paid in cash and only worked weekends.

So you're going to admit tax avoidance?
Original post by J-SP
Say what you want - but that's less likely than you just not getting a p45 from your previous employer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, thank you. I have little information on this area so I just assumed that would be a possible solution. Thank you for your advice.
Can I just say I work there..can you please refer to it as Sainsbury's and not 'Sainsbury' Annoys me just as much as people who say 'Dominoes' instead of 'Domino's'

When you had the face to face interview did you mention Uni? If not you can just say I dropped out of Uni to pursue a career and progress etc then they can't complain.

Also...just don't lie, there's no point really. Also say everything goes swimmingly..you'll have to pretend for your entire time at work you didn't go..you can't let it slip and that's a hard thing to do especially when caught off guard.

If you went to Uni and dropped out they'd still have hired you, you didn't even need to mention Uni at any stage of the process and if they'd asked you could have said you left so you can build a career with a reputable company or something
Lying to an employer is never a good idea, you may take on a job as a 'pass time', but end up wanting to stay and progress. Then eventually the truth comes out!

If I were in your situation, I would try not to create too much of a situation, tell your manager you started uni but never completed it, because you wanted to pursue a career and saw no real relevance mentioning the short time you attended uni.

If they dig deeper then explain that you felt embarrassed for leaving and didn't think it would look good on your CV.

Employers are human, they understand and have all at some point been the employee as well.

When I'm interviewing potential candidates, I would much rather them be honest, than lie just to get the job. Honesty from an employee is vital.

Good luck.
If I said I wasn't given a p45 form does that imply I was paid in cash?
Reply 12
So your manager has indicated you are doing well. Good news. Let's say s/he promotes you in the future. And you continue to do well. You get promoted again. This continues. You are now a supervisor. You have some after-work drinks in the pub and mention you dropped out of uni a few years ago (or a former student recognises you, or...). An envious colleague hears this and realises you lied at the outset. You get fired. Sainsbury's refuse to give you a positive reference for future employment. You're stuffed.

Or instead, you follow @Vikki1805's advice. Go and get a clean slate with a manager that already seems to like you. And you progress from there. No lies.

Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by J-SP
The only issue with this is that the OP has already lied on their CV. If the employer took the approach to getting rid of them as the OP has no integrity, that will happen as soon as they come clean, whether that is now or years down the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sooner they come clean the better. If they lose their job now that would be a shame but they can then take it on the chin, clean up their CV, and apply for jobs elsewhere. Lesson learned.

(But I think it's less likely they would lose their job now if the manager likes them *and* they retake the initiative by being honest asap.)
Reply 14
Original post by J-SP
I'm not sure about your final point. Most organisations would take a view that if you have fraudulently secured the job, they have the right to take away from you and will probably have a strict policy/process in that (especially given this is a major corporation and not a small family business). Manager's may have discretion on minor "blips" but this is a pretty big one and would probably be outside of the manager's control/decision making.

This is why lying to secure employment is never a good idea. It's likely to come back and bite you at some point and then there's the paranoia it will create until it does.

Completely agree.

But the longer the OP leaves it or hides it the worse it will get. Worst case he loses his job and starts again now. Not a major disaster.
Original post by jneill
So your manager has indicated you are doing well. Good news. Let's say s/he promotes you in the future. And you continue to do well. You get promoted again. This continues. You are now a supervisor. You have some after-work drinks in the pub and mention you dropped out of uni a few years ago (or a former student recognises you, or...). An envious colleague hears this and realises you lied at the outset. You get fired. Sainsbury's refuse to give you a positive reference for future employment. You're stuffed.

Or instead, you follow @Vikki1805's advice. Go and get a clean slate with a manager that already seems to like you. And you progress from there. No lies.

Good luck!

If that ever happens I'll just apply to be a writer for suits. Besides, I don't drink.

Thanks, but I'm going to stick to lying and leave this job after a certain amount of time. There's no need to lie after this, so I should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending