The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Meh. It depends. Normally no.
They don't like you so clearly, that's a no.
I think most girls would say they like confident guys, not arrogant ones.
Reply 4
As a girl I just hate arrogant people (e.g. people who think they are better/ more superior to others) and would never talk to a person like that never mind date them. Confidence however is great.
Original post by kantdothis
They don't like you so clearly, that's a no.

Well there we go, empirical evidence.
You know sometimes you can't really distinguish between confidence and arrogance. You could be both...
Reply 7
I hate them. Complete turn off.
Original post by MangoCrazy
You know sometimes you can't really distinguish between confidence and arrogance. You could be both...

Yes exactly. It's very difficult to draw the line.
Reply 9
Are you asking because you come across arrogant? If so, that's a question an insecure individual would ask. A true arrogant man would pride himself on being able to get any woman he wants. :lol:
In your case yes they do
But as a general rule no they dont
Original post by Danz123
Are you asking because you come across arrogant? If so, that's a question an insecure individual would ask. A true arrogant man would pride himself on being able to get any woman he wants. :lol:

Original post by toonervoustotalk
In your case yes they do
But as a general rule no they dont

I'm really going through a dry spell at the moment :frown:
Can't ****ing stand them.

They're the ones who are usually the most insecure in themselves. Quietly confident is the key.
No thanks. Confidence is good - a guy who knows who he is, and what he wants in life. Arrogance is annoying and off-putting.
I reject the confidence/arrogance distinction which girls always use as an excuse, and say yes.
No way. Absolutely hate arrogance. I love humble people. Arrogance has to some extent a connection with how successful you are. Of course you can still be successful and humble, but nowadays it's a rare combination. Also, to some, money speaks louder than anything else.
There is definitely a line between confident and arrogant, that much is certain so don't listen to Banterboy

Ultimately, I tend to find that I come across best to a girl when I'm rather humble, now one can be humble and confident (and as a person seeking a life in sales/marketing, I'm definitely confident) so I believe that's the way to go. Also, be honest, if you wanna buy a girl a drink then offer to buy her a drink, and if you want to take her home at the end of the night, then offer to take her home at the end of the night. If you assume she wants a drink and buy her one anyway, then that's arrogant and off putting, if you assume that she's going to go home with you at the end of the night then that's arrogant and off putting. OP, just stay true to yourself.
Original post by James Milibanter
There is definitely a line between confident and arrogant, that much is certain so don't listen to Banterboy

Ultimately, I tend to find that I come across best to a girl when I'm rather humble, now one can be humble and confident (and as a person seeking a life in sales/marketing, I'm definitely confident) so I believe that's the way to go. Also, be honest, if you wanna buy a girl a drink then offer to buy her a drink, and if you want to take her home at the end of the night, then offer to take her home at the end of the night. If you assume she wants a drink and buy her one anyway, then that's arrogant and off putting, if you assume that she's going to go home with you at the end of the night then that's arrogant and off putting. OP, just stay true to yourself.

I agree, James. I see arrogance as being full of self-importance and having a sense of superiority. That often goes hand-in-hand with a sense of entitlement - the kind of guy who, in your scenario, would just expect a girl to want him to buy her a drink, and will want him to take her home.

It is perfectly possible for someone to be confident, but also kind and respectful and not feel like they are God's gift to women/the world.
Original post by James Milibanter

Original post by Kittiara
I agree, James. I see arrogance as being full of self-importance and having a sense of superiority. That often goes hand-in-hand with a sense of entitlement - the kind of guy who, in your scenario, would just expect a girl to want him to buy her a drink, and will want him to take her home.

It is perfectly possible for someone to be confident, but also kind and respectful and not feel like they are God's gift to women/the world.

It seems to be like you guys consider the "line" between confidence and arrogance to be more of a spectrum. Like a volume knob - leave it on low volume, someone is confident, turn the volume up, they're arrogant.

The problem with that is that other people have different thresholds on what they are willing to accept and what they find attractive.

I guess you just have to be a smooth customer and work out what works best on an individual level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kittiara

Exactly, it's not even exclusive to guys wither, there are some girls where it's the absolute opposite, where they expect me to buy them a drink and spend my night with them, so it just goes to show, stay humble and keep it real.

Latest