The Student Room Group

Questions about JSA

I am currently claiming Job Seeker's Allowance and I have some questions about the whole process.

Below is a timeline of my application and experience so far

1. November 8th - Online Application
2. November 11th - Interview at JobCentre
3. November 17th - First, proper signing-on
4. November 20th - First payment received (£24.xx)
5. December 1st - Next signing-on day

I applied online on the 8th of November, received an appointment for an interview on the 11th of November where I was asked to verify some of the details I had on my application. During this interview we discussed what jobs I could apply for and signed my claimant commitment.

My next appointment at the Job Centre was the 17th of November. I believe it was my first official 'signing-on' and I brought several pages containing screenshots and emails from employers confirming which jobs I had applied to. Both my coach and I were happy with the amount of jobs I had applied to as well as the quality of my CV and cover letter. My next signing on date is on the 1st of December.

Below are some questions I have

So, it is my understanding that you do not get paid for the first 7 days of your claim. For me this would mean the 8th of November to the 15th.

I received a letter shortly following my interview confirming that I was eligible for JSA and that they would pay me JSA from the 8th of November - this cannot be correct, can it?

I received my first payment from JSA on the 20th of November and it seems to only cover 3 days since I only got about £24. Is this amount correct?

When do you start 'accruing' money with JSA? (so to speak) From the 8th day following your online application or from the date of your first official signing-on?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Phone to check; but I would have thought it's the 8th day. I don't know (apart from no payment for the first 7 days) if the rules have changed. Do you have any other income or asvings over £6k? That would explain the £24.

Your claim starts when you make the phone call. But you have "waiting days" where you don't receive any money. To my knowledge, that's 7 days; so you should get paid from the 8th day.
JSA is conditional in certain factors. Like someone said, savings is a factor. However, there are more. I imagine that income-based JSA makes the amount a certain amount higher, based on income of the individual, there are other factors too, try to talk to your adviser about the areas that you are being paid for.
Original post by OU Student
Phone to check; but I would have thought it's the 8th day. I don't know (apart from no payment for the first 7 days) if the rules have changed. Do you have any other income or asvings over £6k? That would explain the £24.

Your claim starts when you make the phone call. But you have "waiting days" where you don't receive any money. To my knowledge, that's 7 days; so you should get paid from the 8th day.

I shall call them to confirm, thank you.

When applying I stated that I had about £70 in the bank.

Original post by affluentmakaveli
JSA is conditional in certain factors. Like someone said, savings is a factor. However, there are more. I imagine that income-based JSA makes the amount a certain amount higher, based on income of the individual, there are other factors too, try to talk to your adviser about the areas that you are being paid for.

My letter confirming that application was approved said that I would be receiving £57.90 per week and made no reference to my savings. I am thinking that perhaps they started paying me from my first sign-on day (the 17th) since I received a payment covering 3 days on the 20th.
Original post by SoberChocoholic
I shall call them to confirm, thank you.

When applying I stated that I had about £70 in the bank.

My letter confirming that application was approved said that I would be receiving £57.90 per week and made no reference to my savings. I am thinking that perhaps they started paying me from my first sign-on day (the 17th) since I received a payment covering 3 days on the 20th.

They usually tell you by a certain time, what you will get and how often, like the other individual said phone them to correctly check. Also look at your bank statement and measure the time periods of payment to see when the money will enter your account based on the dates on your JSA letter.
Original post by affluentmakaveli
They usually tell you by a certain time, what you will get and how often, like the other individual said phone them to correctly check. Also look at your bank statement and measure the time periods of payment to see when the money will enter your account based on the dates on your JSA letter.

I just got off the phone with them.

Basically, since I was eligible to receive money for JSA from the 15th I only received £24 because I signed on only two days later on the 17th, so my first signing on day covered 2-3 days only.

All is well, the rest shall be a part of the next payment I receive from them. I just hope I have a job by then! :biggrin:

Thank you for your time :smile:
Original post by SoberChocoholic
I just got off the phone with them.

Basically, since I was eligible to receive money for JSA from the 15th I only received £24 because I signed on only two days later on the 17th, so my first signing on day covered 2-3 days only.

All is well, the rest shall be a part of the next payment I receive from them. I just hope I have a job by then! :biggrin:

Thank you for your time :smile:

You're welcome, I am glad it is sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending