The Student Room Group

What grades do you get at the end of the first year of an extended diploma?

Im currenty doing a BTEC L3 Extended diploma in IT. I understabd by the end of the two years you get 3 grades but what do you get after completng the first year?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I believe you get 2 grades. The first year is the diploma (which count as 2 A levels) and the 2nd year is the extended part.
With BTEC i don't you get anything at the end of your first year as in a getting an actual certificate but at least you know what grade you get
Reply 3
Original post by Vladpootin
Im currenty doing a BTEC L3 Extended diploma in IT. I understabd by the end of the two years you get 3 grades but what do you get after completng the first year?
Thanks

The first year of the Extended Diploma is a 90-Credit Diploma (1.5 A levels) which consists of 2 grades e.g. DM where the first grade is equivalent to an A level and the second equiv to an AS level - it is not the standard Diploma (2 A levels) or a Subsidiary Diploma (1 A level) in most cases it is the 90-credit diploma which makes more sense as it covers half the course @suirrel @YeFool

in your second year you will top this up to an Extended Diploma completing a further 90 credits to meet the required 180 for the Extended diploma, this is usually 9x 10 credit units in each year

but again, to answer your question, for just the first year you get a BTEC Level 3 90 credit diploma which is worth 1.5 A levels and you receive 2 grades for this
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
The first year of the Extended Diploma is a 90-Credit Diploma (1.5 A levels) which consists of 2 grades e.g. DM where the first grade is equivalent to an A level and the second equiv to an AS level - it is not the standard Diploma (2 A levels) or a Subsidiary Diploma (1 A level) in most cases it is the 90-credit diploma which makes more sense as it covers half the course @suirrel @YeFool

in your second year you will top this up to an Extended Diploma completing a further 90 credits to meet the required 180 for the Extended diploma, this is usually 9x 10 credit units in each year

but again, to answer your question, for just the first year you get a BTEC Level 3 90 credit diploma which is worth 1.5 A levels and you receive 2 grades for this

Thank you for the clarification! At my college they refer to the first year as just the "diploma" -- I didn't consider that the regular diploma was not 90 credits although it seems so obvious now. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies everyone
Hi sorry I’m a bit confused too, I’m my first year I got the results D*D and for my uni I need to finish the second year with a MMM does this mean I have already done it?
Original post by Chloe_snow
Hi sorry I’m a bit confused too, I’m my first year I got the results D*D and for my uni I need to finish the second year with a MMM does this mean I have already done it?

Hey, how many units did you do in your first year?
I've got my grades for first year too, but I only have 1 grade.
Same here. I only got 1 grade at end of my first year am M. I’ve been told I’m on the extended diploma but after seeing these I have a feeling I’m not, I don’t want to get my hopes up about going Uni Cus I won’t even be able to go without the extended diploma
Original post by Benpaling
Same here. I only got 1 grade at end of my first year am M. I’ve been told I’m on the extended diploma but after seeing these I have a feeling I’m not, I don’t want to get my hopes up about going Uni Cus I won’t even be able to go without the extended diploma

I just feel like they're doing this to make our lives much difficult.
Lol

I only got one grade in first year, then i got 3 at the end, depends how your college runs it and how many modules you do and such.
Original post by Chloe_snow

No as thats only half of your course so technically your first year would be a national diploma or national certificate. Your 2nd year makes it extended which is the bit you need for uni to make it equiv to 3 a levels. To get an MMM id imagine youd be alright if you carry on at the same sorta level as your year 1. Good luck!
Original post by Benny09876
Lol

They tend to do this so if you dont like your course and you drop out between your first and second year you still get a qualification out of it
@Lshort17
Thanks a lot for explaining.
Original post by Benny09876
Lol

Oh 100% lol, I just want to know if I can go uni or not why they gotta mess us around
Original post by Vladpootin
Thanks

Hi mate, i just finished my btec lvl 3 business and am off to uni. At the end of my first year, i got D*D*D*, good luck with everything
Original post by Lshort17
I only got one grade in first year, then i got 3 at the end, depends how your college runs it and how many modules you do and such.

Ah right okay thankyou, made me nervous when I searched it up as it said I should be getting 2 grades at end of year 1 and was worrying lol, thankyou for the help
Ah right okay thankyou, made me nervous when I searched it up as it said I should be getting 2 grades at end of year 1 and was worrying lol, thankyou for the help

Yeh i was similar, they told us they were splitting the course in two and i thought what?! I hope it doesnt affect the outcome. You should be fine some colleges give out two grades end of year one and some give one. Enjoy your second year and good luck!
Original post by Lshort17
Yeh i was similar, they told us they were splitting the course in two and i thought what?! I hope it doesnt affect the outcome. You should be fine some colleges give out two grades end of year one and some give one. Enjoy your second year and good luck!

Thankyou man I appreciate it
Did you do national extended diploma levlel 3, and what grad did you get first and second year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending