The Student Room Group

Lying to the gyno?

I haven't always had regular periods (and was put on the Pill when I was younger to make them more regular). My doc told me I likely had PCOS (it runs in the family).

I went to a gyno today for a smear test and she asked about my periods. I panicked and said they were more or less regular and that I have one more or less every month (though the length/date/flow varies a bit). I also told her that when I was younger they were very irregular.

What I didn't tell here is that even in the last few years since I've been in my twenties they haven't always been this regular, and I've skipped a few in the last year for example. Don't ask why. I panicked I suppose!

Anyway, the gyno put her fingers Inside me while feeling my stomach/womb at the same time and didn't say she had found anything wrong. If I do indeed have serious cysts/bad PCOS would she have been able to tell through this exam, or should I re-book an appointment and be honest with her?

Any advice appreciated. :smile:
Rebook and be honest!
You have to be honest, it happens all the time, patients get nervous. Rebook and tell the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by That Bearded Man
You have to be honest, it happens all the time, patients get nervous. Rebook and tell the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Good to know it's not just me! I'm a grown-up so I know I shouldn't have lied and I'm worried she'll think (rightly) that I'm a bit of an idiot/a time-waster.
Don't lie to your doctor... it doesn't help either of you.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't always had regular periods (and was put on the Pill when I was younger to make them more regular). My doc told me I likely had PCOS (it runs in the family).

I went to a gyno today for a smear test and she asked about my periods. I panicked and said they were more or less regular and that I have one more or less every month (though the length/date/flow varies a bit). I also told her that when I was younger they were very irregular.

What I didn't tell here is that even in the last few years since I've been in my twenties they haven't always been this regular, and I've skipped a few in the last year for example. Don't ask why. I panicked I suppose!

Anyway, the gyno put her fingers Inside me while feeling my stomach/womb at the same time and didn't say she had found anything wrong. If I do indeed have serious cysts/bad PCOS would she have been able to tell through this exam, or should I re-book an appointment and be honest with her?

Any advice appreciated. :smile:

No, she wouldn't be able to diagnose PCOS from an internal exam - it's a combination of history/clinical features (including irregular periods), blood tests and ultrasound. If you really want to find out what's going on, you should go back and be honest.
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
No, she wouldn't be able to diagnose PCOS from an internal exam - it's a combination of history/clinical features (including irregular periods), blood tests and ultrasound. If you really want to find out what's going on, you should go back and be honest.

OK, thank you. I know there's no cure for PCOS and if people have it it can mean you have fertility problems, but if symptoms are left untreated does anyone known if this can worsen your fertility problems?

Have booked another gyno appointment so thanks all for your advice. :smile: (Long waiting list though, silly me!)
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
OK, thank you. I know there's no cure for PCOS and if people have it it can mean you have fertility problems, but if symptoms are left untreated does anyone known if this can worsen your fertility problems?

Have booked another gyno appointment so thanks all for your advice. :smile: (Long waiting list though, silly me!)

No, it will always be there but is not going to get worse if you don't "treat" it - though keeping a healthy weight and not eating too much sugary stuff will always help long term. If you do decide you want a family in the future, even if you do have a diagnosis of PCOS, you may still be able to conceive naturally, so don't panic too early on.
Reply 8
Original post by Helenia
No, it will always be there but is not going to get worse if you don't "treat" it - though keeping a healthy weight and not eating too much sugary stuff will always help long term. If you do decide you want a family in the future, even if you do have a diagnosis of PCOS, you may still be able to conceive naturally, so don't panic too early on.

Thank you so much for your reply. I can't rate your posts twice apparently, but your advice is much appreciated! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest