The Student Room Group

Really need help?

Okay so ive got all my offers back now and all accepted from uclan, manchester, birmingham, leeds and sheffield. My preferences as to where i want to go and their offers are:

1. Sheffield AAA
2. Leeds AAA
3. Birmingham Unconditional
4. UCLan BBC

I got an unconditional offer from birmingham today and this is based on if i make them my firm choice by 4th may. I dont really understand the process like id always wanted to go to sheffield but now i feel im going to struggle to meet their requirements. Can i make birmingham the firm choice then if i get AAA in a level can i go to sheffield? Im studying biomedical science btw
I think that if you meet the requirements of your firm then you have to go there but not entirely sure. Though shouldn't your insurance be lower than your firm?
Reply 2
Original post by liverpool2044
Okay so ive got all my offers back now and all accepted from uclan, manchester, birmingham, leeds and sheffield. My preferences as to where i want to go and their offers are:

1. Sheffield AAA
2. Leeds AAA
3. Birmingham Unconditional
4. UCLan BBC

I got an unconditional offer from birmingham today and this is based on if i make them my firm choice by 4th may. I dont really understand the process like id always wanted to go to sheffield but now i feel im going to struggle to meet their requirements. Can i make birmingham the firm choice then if i get AAA in a level can i go to sheffield? Im studying biomedical science btw

If you make Birmingham's unconditional offer your firm choice then you are effectively stuck with it. You cannot apply through adjustment because that is for people who have bettered one or more of the conditions on their conditional offer. Since your offer is unconditional, there are no conditions to better.

Your only hope would be to persuade Birmingham to let you go into clearing on results day (which they are not obliged to do) and hope that the course you want to do at Sheffield is in clearing and that they will offer you a place on it (neither of which is guaranteed). This means you have to give up your confirmed place at Birmingham and at the end of the day may find yourself without a place at all.

So, basically it boils down to: Don't let Birmingham's "conditional" unconditional sway you if that would not have been your first choice otherwise. If you have a firm favourite then that should always be your firm choice.

And remember, you still have ages before you need to make your decision. The offers will not go away before the deadline for replying, so take your time and think things through very carefully. Too many people rush into an early decision and then spend agonising months regretting it afterwards.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending