The Student Room Group

Driving lesson progress?

Okay so i have been doing driving lessons for 2 months now around 15 hours in total. Ive been on main roads, roundabouts, completed all manouvers and feel like ive done alot! The thing is i just dont think im good at it. Im always making mistakes with gear changes, observations and especially positioning! I also feel as though i cant pull away from junctions/ roundabouts as quickly as other drivers:frown: ive passed my theory and my test is booked for march- when will it start to get easier and feel like 'second nature' everyone talks about? Also does your nerves get better with time? Thanks alot !
I've had 9 hours of driving and have also completed all maneuvers. It seems like you're doing about 2 hours per week which will be plenty in time for March. Some people pass after twenty hours, others take up to 40-50 hours but it all depends. I think I progress well because I always pick one thing to focus on per lesson. For example this week I focused on my steering. Usually my instructor says I go too close to the curb and has occasionally had to reach over and turn the wheel in an emergency when I got too close. This week he didn't tell me to move over once and he praised me at the end to say my steering has really improved even if my gear changes were a little slower than usual.
The point is I believe picking one thing to focus on each time you drive can really help to improve your driving overall. And don't worry about being slow at pulling out. You'll get better at it once you become a more confident driver and are better at judging distances. Good luck!
Dw, I've had 80+ hours and still can't drive :redface:
It's just practice tbh which takes time, 2 months really isn't a long time and it's better that you make these mistakes now, ace your test and become a good driver in the future :h:
Reply 4
Original post by perpetualpaths
I've had 9 hours of driving and have also completed all maneuvers. It seems like you're doing about 2 hours per week which will be plenty in time for March. Some people pass after twenty hours, others take up to 40-50 hours but it all depends. I think I progress well because I always pick one thing to focus on per lesson. For example this week I focused on my steering. Usually my instructor says I go too close to the curb and has occasionally had to reach over and turn the wheel in an emergency when I got too close. This week he didn't tell me to move over once and he praised me at the end to say my steering has really improved even if my gear changes were a little slower than usual.
The point is I believe picking one thing to focus on each time you drive can really help to improve your driving overall. And don't worry about being slow at pulling out. You'll get better at it once you become a more confident driver and are better at judging distances. Good luck!

Sounds like your doing great! I also have the problem of steering too close to the left and my instructor has had to push the steering wheel away a few times which can really knock your confidence! I hope with more practice these things will really improve! Good luck :smile:
15 hours really isn't a great deal of time, so you're gonna be making mistakes still. Driving is just one of those things, the more you do the better you get at it and the less you think about it, generally anyway. I still remember coming home from a bad driving lesson feeling like smashing my head against the wall for being such a tit and feeling like I'd never pass; I've had my license for two and a half years now and for quite some time now I've just been going on auto-pilot at times when I'm driving, just got my music on and I'm listening to that (occasionally singing along), planning out the rest of my day, then before I know it I've arrived and I can't remember half the journey :lol:
Reply 6
The DVSA recommend an average of 45 hours with an instructor and 22 hours of private lessons (with parents or friends etc). which is around 67 hours > obviously take this recommendation with a pinch of salt, but if we go by that then you're about 1/5 of the way through the average hours it takes, so try not to worry too much at this point!

I remember feeling nervous and like i had to think alot, but it really does become second nature - raise your concerns with your driving instructor and be sure to practice practice practice on the manoeuvres which are making you nervous.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending