The Student Room Group

Ok plot twist- met this guy online...

I recently met this guy and he asked to take me out for drinks after we exchanged numbers. I didn't give him a straight answer at the time. We've been speaking for a couple days now, so I asked when we were going out for drinks earlier.

He responded and said ' you can come over any time'. I will not be going to his house since he is basically a stranger and I don't know enough about him. I just find it strange that before he was keen to go out and now he's saying I can come over whenever I want.

Anyway I suggested we did something in a public place and he asked if I'm wining and dining him. I said I wasn't and joked about only getting him a glass of water. He then went off into one asking why he should pay for me when I asked him out. I let him know that I can take care of myself and I didn't expect anything from him. He laughed it off, called me miss independent and now he's asking when I'm free.

Do you find the way he asked me to come over weird? I don't know him from Adam, I'm not looking to get kidnapped. Has anyone else been invited to a person's house having known them for almost a week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I recently met this guy and he asked to take me out for drinks after we exchanged numbers. I didn't give him a straight answer at the time. We've been speaking for a couple days now, so I asked when we were going out for drinks earlier.

He responded and said ' you can come over any time'. I will not be going to his house since he is basically a stranger and I don't know enough about him. I just find it strange that before he was keen to go out and now he's saying I can come over whenever I want.

Anyway I suggested we did something in a public place and he asked if I'm wining and dining him. I said I wasn't and joked about only getting him a glass of water. He then went off into one asking why he should pay for me when I asked him out. I let him know that I can take care of myself and I didn't expect anything from him. He laughed it off, called me miss independent and now he's asking when I'm free.

Do you find the way he asked me to come over weird? I don't know him from Adam, I'm not looking to get kidnapped. Has anyone else been invited to a person's house having known them for almost a week?

Hi I wouldn't recommend going, especially because he's a stranger.
first date should always been in a public place.
DO NOT GO TO HIS HOUSE... He may be dodgy or he may be genuine and u have no way of knowing yet...
Roughly what age r u?
Sounds like a ****
Reply 5
Original post by Awais_
Hi I wouldn't recommend going, especially because he's a stranger.

I'm definitely not going!!
Reply 6
Original post by thecatwithnohat
first date should always been in a public place.

Thanks I agree.

Original post by Shadow_12
DO NOT GO TO HIS HOUSE... He may be dodgy or he may be genuine and u have no way of knowing yet...
Roughly what age r u?

Lol I know! I'm 27.

Original post by College_Dropout
Sounds like a ****

Why do you say that?
Reply 7
Dude just wants to have sex with you the message is clear if you continue seeing him and something you don't like happens you can only blame yourself. This guy is not looking for a long relationship so don't expect anything special between you two, it's obvious.
Reply 8
I'm definitely not going!!

I'm just worried about stuff like this. I once read a news article about a kid that visited another guy his age whom he'd met online and supposedly became friends with who then murdered him. Nasty people in this world!
Reply 9
Sounds like an asshat - stroppy and pushing you to put yourself in a dodgy situation. He doesn't have your interests in mind and clearly just wants to get his end away. Avoid avoid avoid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Who's Adam?
Sorry that wos a bit strong in a way but just in case a tinsey but of u were wanting to go... Ur older than me so im guessing ur a lot more mature than me and can actually make a rational choice... like the others have said if u do wanna meet him probz be best in a really public space.
Thanks I agree.

Lol I know! I'm 27.

Why do you say that?
Original post by Awais_
I'm just worried about stuff like this. I once read a news article about a kid that visited another guy his age whom he'd met online and supposedly became friends with who then murdered him. Nasty people in this world!

The world is a scary place... U litrally dont know who to trust... :s-smilie:

Forget his sketchiness, he also sounds like a douche. Although it could just be nerves? I would definitely not go to his place until you know him a lot better x
Original post by BookBird
Forget his sketchiness, he also sounds like a douche. Although it could just be nerves? I would definitely not go to his place until you know him a lot better x

I wouldn't put myself in this situation. I've only ever gone to a guys house on the 3Rd or 4th date when I've felt comfortable. At this point in time I can't even comment on him being a douche because I just don't know. Up until last night I thought he was a pretty decent guy.

On the other hand I met another guy I have mutual friends with. He has been very transparent so far, I'm just not 100% sure I'm attracted to him and can see myself with him.
Lol he lives in a flat. It could be a basement flat though!

Original post by Shadow_12
Sorry that wos a bit strong in a way but just in case a tinsey but of u were wanting to go... Ur older than me so im guessing ur a lot more mature than me and can actually make a rational choice... like the others have said if u do wanna meet him probz be best in a really public space.

Thanks. I've trusted my judgement on many occasions and it hasn't let me down. I just don't want to take a risk and it ends up being the wrong choice. I will not be going to his house though. That's for sure. .

Original post by aarora
Who's Adam?

One of my mates.

Original post by PangXie
Sounds like an asshat - stroppy and pushing you to put yourself in a dodgy situation. He doesn't have your interests in mind and clearly just wants to get his end away. Avoid avoid avoid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see where you are coming from. However I don't feel he came across as stroppy or was pushing me to go to his. I feel like he made this suggestion based on past experiences for e.g he's probably invited girls over in the past and they have happily accepted the invitation.

He asked why I refused his invitation and then he didn't attempt to convince me that I should go along with it. I don't want to sound like I am defending him because trust me I'm not. I clearly found the conversation weird since I made this thread. I don't doubt the fact he might just want sex, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overthinking the situation.

I've just heard plenty of stories about guys asking girls to theirs and sometimes it's harmless other times they just want sex.
Original post by Awais_

I've heard that story before. There are some messed up people in the world. I've met some really nice people online, so I kind of still believe it is possible to meet good people online. You never really know what someone's intentions are no matter where you meet them. Not everyone is transparent.

Original post by Mancini
Dude just wants to have sex with you the message is clear if you continue seeing him and something you don't like happens you can only blame yourself. This guy is not looking for a long relationship so don't expect anything special between you two, it's obvious.

Thanks for that. I know it sounds bad, but I tend to think this of all guys in the beginning. I overthink everything and end up putting my guard up alot of the time. I knew something was off.
My gf invited me over only the second time we spoke, went round, watched anime etc. It wasn't for another 2 months that we actually got together :lol:

I dont think you should go over to his without a few dates first yes, but assuming you're not spinning the story here to make him look bad, think the biggest issue is that before you guys have even gone out for a date he made the point that he doesnt want to pay for you.

Annoying as it is, every guy knows social convention dictates the guy forks out for the first few dates to woo the woman (and then when a relationship is established then you can switch to a more equal distribution in paying for stuff). The fact that, as you say, he's already outright come out and say he's not willing to do that, makes me question how much wooing he actually intends to be doing.

But it's up to you really, if you dont have a problem with chipping in for the first few dates then by all means go ahead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alexion
My gf invited me over only the second time we spoke, went round, watched anime etc. It wasn't for another 2 months that we actually got together :lol:

Lol so it isn't all bad then. Did you worry that she might be a catfish or that you could be putting yourself in danger?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending