The Student Room Group

Why do 16 year olds need money?

I don't get what they want or need money for? They live with their parents so they don't have rent or need to buy food shopping, so what are they spending their money on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Abzshaw
I don't get what they want or need money for? They live with their parents so they don't have rent or need to buy food shopping, so what are they spending their money on?

some ppl do as they may not like to ask their parents for money as they already know what their parents are going thru
or like they may need to for dates etcc so yh dont blame
Whatever they want
Reply 3
I can pay any 16 yo money but i might need something in return
For going to the cinema with friends Or going to McDonald's. That's the only thing that I spend it on anyway,
Original post by Abzshaw

Entertainment, extra/different food and savings for the future.
Transport costs, food(lunch etc.), games, paper, pencils and ink.
Also, not everyone lives with their parents or don't have to pay rent or buy food at that age.
Original post by Abzshaw

Leisure activities with friends/Oyster card top up
Reply 8
> Food
> School supplies
> Transport
> Books
> Independence of ones own finances
> Savings
Reply 9
Rather expensive gaming PCs (in my case at least haha)
Alcohol and cigarettes
Reply 11
When I was sixteen I wanted lots of clothes and jewellery and bits and bobs my parents wouldn't pay for. It's not needing the money it's more wanting it

Posted from TSR Mobile
They may have to pay transport costs, (not everyone lives within walking distance) going out with friends, hobbies etc.
Depends on their circumstances I guess. When I was 16 I was saving my EMA (education maintenance allowance - don't think it exists anymore) for driving lessons which I took when I was 17. EMA was £30 a week - enough for a two hour lesson with a fiver left over. No one was going to buy them for me so I had to do it. I also saved for train fair to visit my parent (£30 return) and I also saved from when I was 14 (lunch money) for buying musical instruments so I could practice at home (I did Music A-level) and I saved for clothes because I was in a single parent household and bought my own clothes. I worked part time for stuff like money to go out to Costa or to get the train to the beach at the weekend and to put credit on my phone. 16 year olds are people too - they like to have a life outside of studying, just like now as a 25 year old I like to have a life outside of work - you need money to do anything.
When I was 16, getting money money was a blessing because it meant I could actually pay for stuff when I went out with my boyfriend and not expect him to pay for it all :lol: Also, on days when I was feeling queesy during school I'd quickly pop to the shops to get some snacks or I'd go to Starbucks to chill with my friends after school lol

I still get money now, but it all goes towards buying books, clothes when I need them etc. so I don't bug my parents
Original post by Abzshaw

savings, clothes and in my case a classic tag heuer
Reply 16
Hate asking my parents for money
how else am I going to get that Levi's jacket m8
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Depends on their circumstances I guess. When I was 16 I was saving my EMA (education maintenance allowance - don't think it exists anymore)

It exists, in Scotland at least.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending