The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxyfrost
Hello, I'm starting my undergraduate course in Sep 2016. I am low income, so I am entitled to a tuition fee loan and a bursary from my uni.

My partner will be coming with me to uni, he receives carer's allowance for me, as he is my full time carer (I have a disability).

I do not have independent student status. Would I be eligible for an adult dependent's grant due to the fact that I will be financially supporting my partner via student loans?

Edit: partner's income is £3224 per year from carer's allowance. Also, my partner and I do not cohabit currently, and he is not financially dependent on me at this point in time, but when my course begins, we will cohabit and my student loans will support us both.

Good Morning Oxyfrost :smile:
Many thanks for your question. Apologies for not responding sooner.
Please check your inbox.
Kind regards
Emma :smile:
Reply 21
Hello

I have just been offered a space on a full time degree course starting in Sept 16. I currently work full time and will probably have to work full time/ part time whilst doing my degree as my husband wage will not support me, him and our 2 children. I was wondering if there is any financial assistance that I could apply for? Thank you
Original post by CerysZ
Hello

I have just been offered a space on a full time degree course starting in Sept 16. I currently work full time and will probably have to work full time/ part time whilst doing my degree as my husband wage will not support me, him and our 2 children. I was wondering if there is any financial assistance that I could apply for? Thank you

Hi CerysZ :smile:
Thanks for your post.
As you are married with dependent children and studying an Undergraduate Degree, the support available to you would be as follows:
* Tuition Fees (paid directly to your University / College
* Maintenance Loan
* Adult Dependants Grant - up to £2757
* Parental Learning Allowance - up to £1573
* Childcare Grant - you can apply for up to 85% of your actual childcare costs, up to a maximum of £155.24 a week for one child, or up to £266.15 a week for two or more children.

All of the above, apart from your Tuition Fees, are dependent on your household income. When you apply and your husband provides his income details from the 2014/15 tax year to support your application, the information given is checked against what HMRC hold. You will then receive a Notification of Entitlement letter detailing the support available to you.

It may be worth mentioning that if you claim the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits from HMRC, you will not be able to claim the Childcare Grant from SFE.
Student Finance Englandwill provide up to 85% of childcare costs whereas HM Revenue andCustoms will provide up to 70%.

If you are in receipt of the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits from HMRC and wished to claim the Childcare Grant from Student Finance, you would need to inform HMRC of your intention in order for them to amend your Tax Credits Award. You will still be eligible to receive Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits from HMRC - just not the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits.

In addition to the above, if you are studying an NHS course and not on a secondment, you would only be entitled to a reduced rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance as the the NHS Grants Unit would be responsible for providing any additional supplementary grants.

New Students in the 2016/17 academic year studying Postgraduate Degrees are eligible to apply for a Maintenance Loan only.

Hope the above helps
Best of luck with your studies

Emma :smile:
Reply 23
A big thanks to everyone who posted on this forum. And a huge thanks to Emma Gabriel for again taking part and answering all your questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending