The Student Room Group

When did being in love cause you the most pain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissDetermined
The worst time was falling in love with someone who didn't feel the same way. We dated for several months but for him it was a casual/sex and hang out thing. For me it had been the most strongly I had ever felt towards someone, and in the end I realised it wasn't going anywhere long term. It took me 6+ months to get over because it hurt so much. I still feel the same towards him now but we don't talk and he has a girlfriend. I don't think I had gotten over splitting up with an ex previously to this guy either so I had a lot to deal with.
Sometimes you will always love a person, no matter how much its hurt.

I know this feeling very well. And you feel like you're dying inside because you want more than them and you feel so inadequate- like you aren't good enough to actually be relationship material. It's not great to be on a different page when one person wants more and one only wants FWBs. Very painful.
Seriously people, man up.

Everyone goes through the same thing at some point, and everyone has to deal with it. The difference is most don't whine about it.
Original post by Anonymous

Everyone goes through the same thing at some point, and everyone has to deal with it. The difference is most don't whine about it.

Come off anonymous. Most people have controversial views that might offend people. The difference is most don't have to use an anonymous function to have the balls to say what they think.
Reply 23
When the person you love falls in love with someone else right infront of you :cry2::cry2:
Yes! This. Especially when you have actually hung out with the other person and your ex. 😂
Original post by Ethereal World
Come off anonymous. Most people have controversial views that might offend people. The difference is most don't have to use an anonymous function to have the balls to say what they think.

Your comparison is weak, to say the least.

I know all about controversial views dear trust me.

Doesn't make what I said redundant.
Your comparison is weak, to say the least.

I know all about controversial views dear trust me.

Doesn't make what I said redundant.

Why are you hating on people talking about their emotions and feelings about love in a relationships section of an online forum? And then going on anonymous to do it? It's just weird and pathetic.
When he becomes literally unrecognizable in terms of personality.

As sad as realizing how much he had changed upset me, it helped me get over him faster too.

Cool story bro
I know, well we were in a relationship for like three weeks. It was actually insanely intense. We met in a lecture randomly- he added me on FB and then messaged me saying that I looked beautiful today- we continued to message for the rest of the lecture and both of us got told off at the end because apparently it was super obvious what was going on from the glances at each other and the obvious lack of concentration. We then just stayed together after the lecture- it was sunny and we spent the afternoon in a park just talking and kissing and it was literally like a movie scene love story.

I didn’t realise this at the time but quite soon into things it turned out that preceding this moment in the lecture he had been incredibly depressed- to the point where he had written his suicide notes. We had exams coming up and there was a lot of pressure on and he was going a bit insane from everything. The relationship pulled him out of the mindset and honestly we didn’t stay apart for pretty much the entire time (as in straight from that lecture…. How ridiculous!). He had even stayed at mine the night we met, I had given him keys and met him back at my place later. None of the funny business happened or anything but honestly it was just so instant and like we had known each other for ever.

Over the three weeks he gradually got better and then I think he associated me as part of his depression or reminding him of how he had felt- even though ironically I was the one who ‘saved’ him.

I completely get what you mean re the short fling you had and never getting over it. I would say I am over this person but he affected me hugely for a long period of time, and made it very difficult for me to open up again like that. Infact this current time is the one time I let my guard down like this for someone again, and it’s just that feeling of meeting someone you feel this huge connection with that’s impossible to explain. But yet again there is a problem with the permanence and the relative intensity. I think my issue is, from these two times I have felt like this- is that I get very intense because I feel so deeply that this is the kind of ‘love’ I need.

Thank you for sharing your experience- it makes me feel like there are other people out there who understand me. I might PM you as well if that’s okay? (Obv I’m anon right now so I’m hiding :hide

Yeah of course you can PM me! :smile: I'd love to talk. Wow, even thought it ended that really is the loveliest story (sorry, I don't want to make you feel worse! But that does sounds so cute how you met in the lecture and you were just inseparable. It really does sound like something out of a romantic movie!)

I'm still affected by my fling from years ago. Yes maybe I'm crazy, an 'whiny', I just feel everything very deeply. I think it was just the loss of something which had so much potential and didn't really end for any particular reason and having all these nice memories but nothing you can do with them because it's so long ago and they're just lost in time. You feel kind of trapped. There's no one to confide in because even though their situation may be similar it's not quite the same. You just wish everyone could understand. When it ended I think I was in denial and couldn't accept it. Hearing he was back with his ex only a couple months after (and possibly during) nearly killed me. Most days I'm OK but a certain scent or line of a song can take me back and it hits me like a bus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you watch an amazing TV series and it ends.

Too much sorrow, my heart can't take the pain.
Original post by BWV1007
It's crazy that it's always the first thing that comes to my mind every morning without fail. It's sad but nothing lasts forever anyway... Someone said to me "This is the first day of the rest of your life". So I better make it count! Once you know your own worth you'll realise how little comfort/help/love you actually need from other people. The only person that's going to stay with you till you're dead is yourself. Other people will come and go.

Good quote and very true! Have you heard of a song by Bright Eyes called First Day of My Life? Tis a gooden 😊
Original post by tinkerbelle2
Good quote and very true! Have you heard of a song by Bright Eyes called First Day of My Life? Tis a gooden 😊

I've not heard of that song before. I just did and it's really lovely! Thanks for that! :smile:
Probably right now tbh. Over a TSR user as well.
When I found out they never actually loved me.

Ah well. Life experience. :h:
😢😢😢 That sucks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Last summer, we were so unstable that we'd patch it up on one night and break down on the next. I did all-nighters waiting up for him with a nine hour time difference, and he didn't care. It broke me. I cried myself senseless all day and was utterly catatonic, but I loved him. I loved him enough to forgive him and keep pushing for the relationship, until he broke up with me four weeks later.

Six months flash forward, and we're together again, and more enchanted with each other than ever. Rough patches can be very rough, but it's quite lovely when you're together.
Not sure if this counts, but I recently went to a show, and there was this androgynous-looking girl who was sitting 2 rows in front of me. She was either talking to her boyfriend or brother, but she looked so beautiful. I'd never seen anyone so captivating. During the break half-way through the show, I sat on my table with my family and watched her from across the room. She was standing next to the bar with a drink in her hand. She looked so happy.

Going back to my house that night hurt, a lot. I never even spoke to her or knew her name, She probably didn't even notice me, and that's what hurt the most. I just sat on my bed with my head in my hands at 4am. It was horrid.
Reply 38
When he left to go into the Marines without even saying goodbye... Saw him every Friday at TKD for 6 years and then he was just gone

But that was two years ago and I got over it quite easily because I knew I could never really have him as he hated the age gap of 3 years 😕😔
It wasn't true love but it could have been. I dated a girl I met on Tinder for a few weeks back in January. I'm 24 and it was the closest thing I'd had to a relationship in my life. I loved every minute of it. The kisses and cuddles and everything else, it was just magical. Unfortunately I made some stupid mistakes and lied about my past. This made me lose her and she was gone from my life as quickly as she had arrived. The aftermath was horrible, I tried to get her back but she deleted me on Facebook and blocked me on Whatsapp. She said she couldn't trust me and when no one has ever said that to you before it's like a knife through your heart. I would wake up every morning with this horrible sick empty feeling in my stomach that would last all day.

All I could think about was this life with her that I felt I should be living and I had thrown it all away because of my own insecurity. I would stay away from my phone for hours, hoping that when I would check it there would be a message from her. My friends and family were amazing in their support for me during the whole thing. I don't know what I would have done without them being there for me. It hurt so much for me because I have wanted this for so long and for years was holding onto this hope that I would eventually meet someone who would like me in that way and give me that chance, and when I finally did I blew it and it's all my fault that it happened. I guess it's all a learning experience and will benefit me in the long run.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending