The Student Room Group

Can you ever see yourself "settling down" and having kids?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
It's changing skies isn't it? Even I have a crush on changing skies.

Original post by SeanFM
She is pretty/lovable but nope, not her :tongue: I shall disappear before I singlehandedly derail this thread :tongue:

Haha thanks guys! :colondollar: :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I settled down, got married and had kids at 21. I'm well in there.
To have my own family someday is a dream of mine. I would love to settle down and have kids in the future. but definitely not anytime soon. maybe 10 years from now. lol
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I settled down, got married and had kids at 21. I'm well in there.

Would you do it again at 21 or would you postpone it for later? (I hope you didn't regret having kids so I won't ask that :/)
Reply 124
I can't wait to settle down and have kids and my own family. I think I'm ready just need to find the right person now :redface:

Hopefully it's soon :h:
Original post by BrokenLife
Talk to me when you have the guts to go off anon tool. I don't wish to waste my time on a anon.

You know me very well and we've spoken many times on other forums.

Just wait and watch! :biggrin: Victory will be mine but you'll all be invited to the wedding :h:
Settling down? Yeah. Kind of already have. Not marriage, but been together six years and living together.

Kids? Can't imagine it to be honest. I can't really look after myself well enough, let alone a child. Also, I like having freedom and money.
I'm sure I'll want them someday. Or give in to societal pressure to have them anyway.
Original post by Juichiro
Yes, it would. When you make major decisions, you are expected to do it taking into account your partner's needs/desires. For example, you couldn't just accept that awesome job offer without consulting with your partner because it would mean living far from each other. Or you couldn't put big money on that house/car you like without consulting your partner, because you have a shared account. Also, if your partner every has a major accident and ends up in a wheelchair, you are expected to take care of your partner in detriment of any wishes (journeys, treks, etc) you might have. There are both upsides and downsides to it.

The problem with what you said is that you're making a general statement that would fit most people, but not necessarily me. It's only limiting if you actually want to or care to do some things differently. I wouldn't be moving every time I saw a job offer somewhere because I want to have my own home, a partner has nothing to do with it. And if the job would be too good to let go, then it would probably pay for the both of us so no reason for him not to move with me. I don't find consulting someone when buying a house or a car limiting, chances are it will give more options with two working people as opposed to me having a smaller budget because I'm on my own.

Same with the major accident thing, wouldn't limit me in any way because there's nothing I want to do that a wheelchair would get in the way of. Your statement is ok, because a relationship can be limiting. The problem is that you aimed it at me specifically. I personally would not be limited by a stable relationship, it would probably only give more options.
Reply 128
We need more immigrants since so few people want kids.
There's apparently over 150 million orphans globally just so you know...

Posted from TSR Mobile
this tbhthe idea of being stuck in the exact same loop, due to obligations, once you're 30 for the next 50 years sounds like hell to me.
i'm also a **** rolemodel so I'd probably end up screwing up any kid that had prolonged exposure to me :lol:
Original post by Nadile
The problem with what you said is that you're making a general statement that would fit most people, but not necessarily me. It's only limiting if you actually want to or care to do some things differently. I wouldn't be moving every time I saw a job offer somewhere because I want to have my own home, a partner has nothing to do with it. And if the job would be too good to let go, then it would probably pay for the both of us so no reason for him not to move with me. I don't find consulting someone when buying a house or a car limiting, chances are it will give more options with two working people as opposed to me having a smaller budget because I'm on my own.

Same with the major accident thing, wouldn't limit me in any way because there's nothing I want to do that a wheelchair would get in the way of. Your statement is ok, because a relationship can be limiting. The problem is that you aimed it at me specifically. I personally would not be limited by a stable relationship, it would probably only give more options.

" if the job would be too good to let go, then it would probably pay for the both of us so no reason for him not to move with me". Well, he's a different person with different needs. He might have a reason he considers very valid even if you don't agree with him (he wants to stay close to this friends/home town/family or he just doesn't think that moving would be that good for you). So there is a possibility that would have to negotiate.

"I don't find consulting someone when buying a house or a car limiting, chances are it will give more options with two working people as opposed to me having a smaller budget because I'm on my own". I said it is limiting, because you won't be able to buy the house you want straight away, you would only be able to buy it if you reach an agreement with your partner, and you might have to settle for something you dislike or don't like as much as your 1st choice. That's what I meant earlier by compromise. Sure, you have more money to buy a better house but the house you buy might not be the one you like the most or the one you like at all. Same goes for cars. It all depends on how much you are willing to give up for your relationship. Some people give up almost nothing (and that strains the relationship till it destroys it) and some people give up too much (aka abusive relationships).

I guess that's (your response or mine) one way of seeing it. My point is that if the set S is the set of all the things you want do during a particular period of time, you won't have access to all of them or you will have to negotiate it with your partner. The idea being that different people want different things and have different things and in a relationship you offer have to compromise for the common good.

Yes, you are right, my statement my apply to most people but not necessarily to you.
Original post by Sisuphos
Would you do it again at 21 or would you postpone it for later? (I hope you didn't regret having kids so I won't ask that :/)

I don't think 21 is a great time for anybody to have kids really, but having said that I think a lot of things happen for a reason, so it happened the way it was meant to happen. It has its advantages but also its disadvantages, settling into a wife/mother role at that age. I feel I missed out on a lot of living, but gained something more rewarding. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Original post by Anonymous

Just wait and watch! :biggrin: Victory will be mine but you'll all be invited to the wedding :h:

Lol gurl you are pathetic for going on Anon and trying to bait BL with your stupid crap.

If it's a joke then drop it because it isn't funny.

If it isn't a joke then seriously why would anyone choose a cowardly baiter over someone beautiful and amazing like BL ?! loooolll. :rofl:

:fight: :flutter: :fight:
Original post by Ethereal World
Lol gurl you are pathetic for going on Anon and trying to bait BL with your stupid crap.

If it's a joke then drop it because it isn't funny.

If it isn't a joke then seriously why would anyone choose a cowardly baiter over someone beautiful and amazing like BL ?! loooolll. :rofl:

:fight: :flutter: :fight:

Thank you so much, Ethereal!! :h:

Seriously, my life is more than just replying this jealous anon. So Imma enjoy me and my man's time together and let this jealous anon get jealous even more:h:

Cos...

#IndeterLife is more important than this jealous anon:u:

:fight::flutter::fight::flutter::love::love:
Thank you so much, Ethereal!! :h:

Seriously, my life is more than just replying this jealous anon. So Imma enjoy me and my man's time together and let this jealous anon get jealous even more:h:

Cos...

#IndeterLife is more important than this jealous anon:u:

:fight::flutter::fight::flutter::love::love:

I just don’t understand why they go on anon- because they know once indeterminate identifies them he’ll be like :hand: ermmmmm I like BL, not you you coward! And that will be super awkward :rolleyes:

The thing is people can like the same people but they don’t need to bait you about it. And IndeterLife is a thing and so people should respect that- even if they’re jealous of you they should respect HIM and leave his gurl alone. Smh.

You need to start getting the horse out:

[scroll] :horse: :horse: :fight: :horse: :horse: [/scroll]
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Settling down? Yeah. Kind of already have. Not marriage, but been together six years and living together.

Kids? Can't imagine it to be honest. I can't really look after myself well enough, let alone a child. Also, I like having freedom and money.
I'm sure I'll want them someday. Or give in to societal pressure to have them anyway.

That's what I can imagine happening. I'll probably give in eventually, but it will be a loooooooong time yet. It's better for the future children I might have as well. What sort of life can I offer them with the crap amount of money i'm earning at the moment?

I just can't see myself in some semi-rural area with a family and kids like the dream goes. I hate suburbia and I hate living in the countryside. I prefer the city and always will. It's a load of crap that you cannot give a child a good upbringing in a city. If anything the country kids are losing out. Less diversity, less culture, less things to do, less career opportunities on the doorstep...
(edited 8 years ago)
I just don’t understand why they go on anon- because they know once indeterminate identifies them he’ll be like :hand: ermmmmm I like BL, not you you coward! And that will be super awkward :rolleyes:

The thing is people can like the same people but they don’t need to bait you about it. And IndeterLife is a thing and so people should respect that- even if they’re jealous of you they should respect HIM and leave his gurl alone. Smh.

You need to start getting the horse out:

Lol jealousy is the key here. Indeterminate likes me and I like him and we know it, tsr knows and we are happy together. Like seriously, how pathetic can you be!:colonhash:

Whether we are a real life couple or not is our personal issue. People need to stay away from it. Enough said.:talkhand::talkhand:

And thank you for respecting #IndeterLife.:h: Love you! :smile: Much respect! :smile:

And well, my man is all mine and I know that and he knows that too so I'm going to remain calm and..

:fight::flutter::fight::flutter:
Original post by Anonymous

And it's anonfails that are an abuse of the anon function. :rolleyes:

I've said it once and I'll say it again: being a jerk on Anon is not a classy move. What is the need in this?

There's no fight left for you to be a victor of. This is futile.

You know it's serious when Mini pulls the horses out. :lol:

x

Anyone who follows you around TSR giving you treatment you don't deserve on Anon of all things isn't worth your time, BL.

You're the winner in the end. :awesome:
I can definitely myself settling down and having children.

In fact, it's something I'm kind of looking forward to, although not for a long while yet. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending