The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You just need to eat less tbh... You can have a smoothie for lunch and breakfast (preferably the green smoothies) and then something light and filling for dinner.
Original post by Adriannanna
Of course they are losing WEIGHT, a third of it is probably lean muscle tissue.

How can you retain something when you are on a deficit??

Key to weight control is maintaining or increasing your metabolic rate. Starving yourself does the opposite. Naturally, the less food you intake the more your brain instructs your body to retain.

I do not understand how a calorie deficit makes more sense than providing your body with the right amount of good fuel to work like it should do.

I'm not saying go home after a workout and eat your house. Yes our bodies will run on anything, because we are amazing and complex, but if you give it the right amount of carbs, fats and proteins - it will do good things for you.

At the end of the day there are numerous studies that show that a strong, not slim, person is less likely to be affected by heart disease and certain disabilities. There is a big difference between being healthy & fit and being slim.

1. When you lose weight you have no choice but to accpet you lose a mixture of fat and muscle.

2. You retain the muscle you already have. You change the ratio of fat to muscle loss.

3. Its not just about metabolic rate. bext youll be telling em about starvation mode.

4. The key to weight control is controlling your calorie intake.

5. Because you dont appreciate the difference between your bodies calorie requirement and nutrition. they are different. For weight loss it is about calorie control.

6. Again thats nutrition, but it still has to follow thermodynamics. If you ear only chcolate but at a deficit you will lose weight. If you eat lots of lovely healthy food but at a surplus you will gain weight.

7. I never said there wast a difference between being helathy i,e fitness and oure weight loss, hats why people consider calories, exercise and nutrition. they do different things.

I am 100% correct if you dont believe me then go on the MFP forums and you will have hundreds if not thousands of people explaining the same thing to you.
*cracks fingers*
Original post by moneymania999
I started gym recently and as I will be starting uni in September I wanted to get in shape.
This isn't my first time in the gym I have been quite a few times, but for some reasons and this is very strange I am not losing considerable amount of fat.
I am working very hard and that can be seen in other parts of my body such as my arms, legs, chest & traps. But my stomach is the only downside. I have tried everything and even my diet is now top notch.
Any help/advice would be very appreciated.

Track your calories using my fitness pal.
Work out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure via iifym.com - eat 500 calories less than this. After 2 weeks you should lose around 2 lbs (1lb a week). If you've lost less than this, reduce further by 200 calories. If you lost more than 4lbs, add 200 calories onto what you allow yourself to eat.
Exercise regularly to be healthy.

I'd recommed weight training & good diet with the famous 40/30/30 proportions.

30% fat
30% protein
What are you eating for that? Vegetable oil and steak?
Arbitary values are arbitary

Do not rely on the calorie deficit method, it is retro and overrated.

It's science. By your logic I can sink 10,000 calories and be lean as long as I don't eat the rest of your sentences below and be lean AF. No. Just no.

The more muscle you build the more fat you will lose.

It's really not that much of a difference.

Try and eat foods that are not over processed, avoid sugar (which is a poison just like the next thing on the list), alcohol, quit smoking.

Sugar is found in fruits, veg etc. Sugar is not poison. In moderation it's just fine. The odd sweet thing is not going to kill you.

Also make sure you are getting enough carbs (that is right) so you have energy for your workouts, fats like omega 3 that are actually good for you and Protein. You are trying to build strenght and muscle tissue so heavy weights, smaller sets and protein! Try to find a program put together by a professional rather than making your own. Step away from the treadmill. I would recommed looking at bodybuilding forums and also a good book (that will give you a good insight into how our bodies respond to aerobic and anaerobic exercises, how our muscles grow, how our bodies produce energy and a lot more) is The new rules of lifting by Cosgrove & Schuler.

Heavy weight, smaller sets... what?
Also lol at needing professional advice to build muscle.

There is also a version for women. it is well worth the money, not written by Dan, the personal trainer from Easygym.

OP really doesn't need books to lose weight and build muscle.

These people have spent years researching and collecting evidence to prove that calorie deficit and million miles on a treadmill are actually causing muscle deficit and 50 years down the line you'll be a fragile old man not able to climb a staircase. Also make sure your form is good when performing exercises, you don't want to work against yourself! Good luck!!!! Also it'll take a while for the results, your muscles might actually be swollen and are retaining more water if you just recently started, it takes weeks to build actuall muscle tissue. The fat loss is also slow. If you are consistent, you'll get good results before September

So you actually gave no advice other than to follow some arbitrary values and to buy some pretty expensive books

Original post by yasminathomure
Try going vegan. You can eat all you want of things like green vegetables, potatoes, rice, fruits, cereals, soups and stay slim. Good for the environment and animals too.

Explain to me.... why fat vegans are a thing

Of course it is true. This is because of what happens after your workout. A study carried out at University in Colorado, published in 2003 showed that the fat oxidation after strength training is much higher than post cardio training. 22% higher to be accurate. That is 15 hours after the training session. Building muscle and burning fat is a zig-zag, inevitable process. Trying to lose fat only, usually will also result in loss of muscle tissue which = slower metabolic rate which = less fat loss (mainly because your body will try and hold on to the fat that is left behind in order to survive). Another factor is the Resting Metabolic Rate (RMB), what this refers to is the recovery stage. The way your muscles grow is by recover. You cause loads of little tears in the muscle tissue when doing proper weight training (I mentioned the swelling in my previous post which is due to the inflammation cause by those tears and followed by recovery). Your body then heals (if you provide it with enough fuel to do so), building the muscle a little stronger every time. Now your body burns a lot of calories during this process. Weight training elevates the numbers more than any aerobic exercise. Mainly because our muscle training requires a lot more effort than running or cycling which is repetitive and our bodies easily adapt to.

You want muscle, and do not worry about 'getting too big.' I hear so many people say that (including women) before they hit the gym. And I never hear them say 'Oh my god, I have too much muscle, i think I'm getting too bulky.'

Just make sure you get as much information behind your belt, and avoid advice from anyone who mentions 'calorie deficit.' It may work in losing weight but what you will end up being is not 'fit' you will be 'weak.' And when you are weak you are prone to disabilities, heart disease, fractures etc as you get older.

Cardio burns more calories than weight training. That is a fact.

Explain to me, how I've been in a calorie deficit and added a significant amount to my lifts over the same time period?

Your wrong and individual papers mean nothing, you can't measure fat oxidation, nor does it actually matter. Calorie deficit is king, to deny that is to deny science.

Original post by 999tigger
Absolute nonsense. Go onto MFP and talk to the thousands that are losing weight on there. You will see most peple are doing regular exercise as well as being at a deficit. Calorie defiit is how to lose weight, fitness is for health and you shuld be doing both. You will not gain significnat muscle whilst you are at deficit, what you cna do is retain myscle so you lower your body fat. This is your ultimate goal.

The reason you ,lose weight is because of calorie deficit.

If you dont believe me go and make that post on MFP and see how many hundreds of people who are fit and successyly lost weight disagree with you.

The MFP forum ain't great, however I agree with everything else you've said, have some rep
Original post by moneymania999
I started gym recently and as I will be starting uni in September I wanted to get in shape.
This isn't my first time in the gym I have been quite a few times, but for some reasons and this is very strange I am not losing considerable amount of fat.
I am working very hard and that can be seen in other parts of my body such as my arms, legs, chest & traps. But my stomach is the only downside. I have tried everything and even my diet is now top notch.
Any help/advice would be very appreciated.

I used to be a fat kid in year 9 :biggrin:. Just keep motivated and keep doing what your doing. Don't expect immediate results, your weight loss will be slow and gradual. Try to change your habits with eating food, for example set meal times, eat slowly, dring a a glass of water with a meal. Also don't be discouraged if you have a pig out day, everyone does it just remmeber to get back on track on the next day! Treating yourself once in a while keeps you motivated and helps you lose more weight in the long run!.Keep doing what you're doing and don't let others discourage you, do this for you and be happy!
Keep a food diary. Lose one pound per week, and thats 1.5 stone by September.
Reply 25
Eat lots of protein and vegetables; I was 16st at the age of 15 but lost 4 stone by running and eating better!
Good luck to you Hungry Cucumber and 999tigger on your calorie deficit journey, just don't spread that bs to people. I thought we were past the stage of anaemic and bulimic teenagers dying of heart attacks because they read in the Sun that Britney eats a carrot and a cracker a day.

Anyways, there is plenty of info out there! Do your own research (probably not on MFP), another good way is to chat to the people at the gym. A lot of them, especially if they have spent years on trial & error, like helping others out. Enjoy it and treat your body well.

Good luck x
Good luck to you Hungry Cucumber and 999tigger on your calorie deficit journey, just don't spread that bs to people. I thought we were past the stage of anaemic and bulimic teenagers dying of heart attacks because they read in the Sun that Britney eats a carrot and a cracker a day.

Anyways, there is plenty of info out there! Do your own research (probably not on MFP), another good way is to chat to the people at the gym. A lot of them, especially if they have spent years on trial & error, like helping others out. Enjoy it and treat your body well.

Good luck x

I answered every one of your questions. You dont appreciate the difference between nutrution, exercise and weight ,loss. You really are being immature now. No mention was made of bulimia or anorexia. Any diet is really a lifestyle change and a combination of a healthy sustainable amount of food calorie controlled) nutrition and exercise.

Lol chat to people at the gym, most of them dont know what they are doing including many of the trainers. You dont need trial and error you just need to know the science and how to make it work. You clearly have a lot to learn about weight loss.

The only reason you lose weight is because your body is at a calorie deficit. That is science, but its something you cant seem to come to terms with. Irrespective of exercise or nutrition. It doesnt mean you should ignore them but weight loss= deficit.
(edited 8 years ago)
I answered every one of your questions. You dont appreciate the difference between nutrution, exercise and weight ,loss. You really are being immature now. No mention was made of bulimia or anorexia. Any diet is really a lifestyle change and a combination of a healthy sustainable amount of food calorie controlled) nutrition and exercise.

Lol chat to people at the gym, most of them dont know what they are doing including many of the trainers. You dont need trial and error you just need to know the science and how to make it work. You clearly have a lot to learn about weight loss.

The only reason you lose weight is because your body is at a calorie deficit. That is science, but its something you cant seem to come to terms with. Irrespective of exercise or nutrition. It doesnt mean you should ignore them but weight loss= deficit.

Oh word?

I could also oppose every bit of advice anyone gives out but I don't really find that entertaining. Negativity just beams outta you. 😩 Evil vibes - im out

Tc

Good luck x

This.

A pretty disgusting post, leveling eating disorders at us, due to being russled by being shown to be misinformed
Oh word?

I could also oppose every bit of advice anyone gives out but I don't really find that entertaining. Negativity just beams outta you. 😩 Evil vibes - im out

Tc

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/understanding-calories.aspx
You arent opposing with anything thats actually true and i dont like it when people misinform others on what is a very important issue for them.

Im actually explaining how it works.

From the NHS
Calories and energy balance
When we eat and drink, we’re putting energy (calories) into our bodies. Our bodies then use up that energy, and the more physical activity we do, the more energy (calories) we use.

To maintain a stable weight, the energy we put into our bodies must be the same as the energy we use by normal bodily functions and physical activity. If there are some days where we put in more energy than we use, then there should also be days where the opposite is true, so that overall the energy in and energy used remain balanced.

Weight gain occurs when we regularly put more energy into our bodies than we use. Over time, that excess energy is stored by the body as fat. Research shows that most adults eat and drink more than they need, and think that they are more physically active than they are.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't understand what makes you think I am 'underinformed.' I just don't like entertaining conversations with people likeyourself, who can not agree to disagree, and expect everyone to agree to their advice.

Let me clear this, before people actually start believing that 'eat less - exercise more' is the best way to lose weight.

When cutting calories you are going to sacrifice two important things: Muscle mass and metabolic rate. Your metabolic rate slows down because you eat less, and your resting metabolic rate slows down because you have less muscle mass. Got it? Ok. Now Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) is the technical term for the process which burns around 10% of the calories you intake during digestion. TEF is about 10% of your metabolic rate giving that you are on a diet that is described as an ‘energy balance’ (It means you are eating the amount of calories you are burning off, not too many nor too few). The ‘energy balance’ also means that you are not losing or gaining weight. However, if you are on a calorie deficit diet TEF decreases. Let’s say your ‘energy balance’ is at 2,500 calories a day, which means your TEF burns 250 calories a day. If you drop down by 500 calories, your TEF will also drop by 10% = 50 calories, equalling to 200 calories. Now this study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17095635) shows that subjects were put on a strict calorie deficit diet for a year. Yes,they lost 18 pounds on average, equalling to roughly 10% of their body weight. But they lost 3.5% of their total lean body mass (this includes muscle, bone,and everything else that is not fat). What the study also showed is that they lost around 7% (!) of the muscle in their thighs… So sacrificing 3.5% of their working mass lead to obviously- decreased strength and aerobic capacity. Now there are examples of two studies (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12055316) and (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12752838) which show strong connections between aerobic capacity / strength and longevity. A chronic low calorie diet is not doing you any good. So eat less and exercise more is not as good as advertised,mainly because eating less decreases your metabolic rate while exercising more increases your metabolic rate. So…? You are slowing down your metabolism while you are speeding it up? Does that make sense to you? “If a financial advisor told you to run up your credit while putting away money in savings account,would you take that advice?” It is illogical.
This (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2352481)study showed that women who cut their calorie intake by 50% lost about 10 pounds of lean tissue (great), slowed their metabolic system by 9% which also caused their exercise to be 16% less efficient. What is bothering that you keep referring to weight loss. As if losing lean tissue is just as good as losing fat. Um, I don’t think so.You need to eat enough calories so that your body doesn’t lose lean tissue! The hormones and chemicals that help you control weight are disrupted when your calorie intake is on a deficit (By the way, deficit does not mean reducing what you eat now. Calorie deficit is when you calculate how many calories you burn every day, and then subtract an amount from that so that your body can eat away on your ‘fat’ to fuel itself. But as I said above, you will start eating away at your lean mass too). A number of studies (https://www.ohio.edu/biosci/profiles/loucks.html) show that lack of calories combined with serious exercise lowers estrogen levels in women, mostly causing amenorrhea. Other hormones (also in men) that could be affected are Leptin, Thyroidand Cortisol. Balanced Hormones mean so much to our health and there is no reason to be messing with them? �"�6�

So please, don't be so angry and narrow minded. And do not give people advice that could harm them.

I understand where you are coming from, and it is ok. At one point people never knew that washing their hands after going to the loo could stop the spread of so many diseases. In fact when I. Semmelweis suggested that, everyone thought he was a lunatic.

I'm not here to prove you wrong, I have been surrounded with Physiological research for a major part of my life. I would never recommend a calorie deficit to anyone, party because I have tried it myself, partly because I've seen what damage it can do long and short term. I am only happy giving advice that I can back up with scientific evidence and that I know will not harm this person or anyone else who reads this thread.

Please do not forget that obesity, anorexia, cancer, and most other long-term health conditions are prosperous industries and it is far more comfortable for the mass media to advise us to do things that are not always the best things. This is how the world works and survival of the fittest is still a thing. You had to hunt to survive before, now you have to avoid most of the ish that is comfortably handed on a silver platter.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not going to say I'm an expert or anything like some people are on this thread, but make sure you have a good balance between lifting and cardio. For cardio, I prefer rowing because I feel like it is a better full body workout than perhaps running and there is also less stress on your knees. I begging you not to do any ridiculous diets that you see in the tabloids and I hope you have a safe, successful journey towards your weight loss. Also, find exercise or a sport that you find fun, then it won't seem like a chore (if you don't enjoy the gym). Good luck!!
I’m obese I’m 14 and 5.5 and 30 stones and my stomach sticks out and flops down. I know I’m fat for my age. I’m the younger in my family and I’m the fattest in my family. I’m around 22stones overweight. I been fat all my life. I need to go to see a specialist doctor about my weight at 10 year old, I was 20 stones when I was 10. I been trying to loose weight but I can’t. I want to be 12 stones. I have to go to a shop for obese people. I see older people and weight less than me. Sometimes I need a wheelchair to go around places. I can’t see my feet. They need to weight me, take my blood pressure, my bmi, what I am eating, measure my belly and height, every two months. Every time I go she says you are getting fat every time I see you. I have a nurse to take me and stayed with me and take me home. My teacher said to me that you are fat. My bmi is very high, hope no one do this.
Why im so fat
To loose weight eat less sugar, Carbs and saturated fats. Thats it. Doesn't matter if you exercise or not, although keeping reasonably fit certainly helps the overrall healthy body. I know because I have done it at 72. I was 107 Kilograms. Within 6 months I was down to 91 Kilograms. HOW? I went to the Gym, did about 50 minutes on the aerobic machines, a small amount on weights and then stretches followed by a good hot spa. BUT the thing that lost my weight was cutting carbs, sugar and saturated fats. 8 years ago I had a wake up call. A STROKE. From then on I said that I would change my living habits. and it worked. I am now in good health, normal blood pressure, low LDL Cholesterol, good HDL Cholesterol, normal blood sugar, normal every other test and heart rate at rest is approx 60 BPM. I splashed out when I went on two weeks holiday and I still have the odd icecream and pie but generally I watch what I eat. You can have some prity fancy meals that are very low in carbs and the other rubbish. As most of us know carbs turn to sugar in the body so things like Potatoes, Pasta, are full of carbs. My rule is eat veges that grow above the ground not below the ground. Eat fish and lean cheaken not red meats. Keep away from dairy products, Eggs are ok, I also take a number of vitamins and minerals each day. Most important are D3 5000IU, Vitamin C 1000 , Fish oil caps, There are others but those mentioned , I think, are the most important.
Original post by Rose222222
I’m obese I’m 14 and 5.5 and 30 stones and my stomach sticks out and flops down. I know I’m fat for my age. I’m the younger in my family and I’m the fattest in my family. I’m around 22stones overweight. I been fat all my life. I need to go to see a specialist doctor about my weight at 10 year old, I was 20 stones when I was 10. I been trying to loose weight but I can’t. I want to be 12 stones. I have to go to a shop for obese people. I see older people and weight less than me. Sometimes I need a wheelchair to go around places. I can’t see my feet. They need to weight me, take my blood pressure, my bmi, what I am eating, measure my belly and height, every two months. Every time I go she says you are getting fat every time I see you. I have a nurse to take me and stayed with me and take me home. My teacher said to me that you are fat. My bmi is very high, hope no one do this.

You are eating the wrong food. Do you eat pies, rice, pasta, potatoes, icecream, pizza? Then stop. Check contents on products in supermarket. Stay away from carbs, sugar and saturated fats AND YOU WILL LOOSE WEIGHT.
(edited 2 years ago)
Everyone talks about muscle mass and calories in and out. STOP THE CARBS. Thats all.

Latest