The Student Room Group

Gcses in a month!

I've got a month until all of my exams start right after eachother. Please give me all the tips and best advice on what i should do and how to overcome laziness when it comes to revising.
Thank you.
Original post by Noorals
I've got a month until all of my exams start right after eachother. Please give me all the tips and best advice on what i should do and how to overcome laziness when it comes to revising.
Thank you.

One of the best motivations for me is imagining results day, and whether I want to be happy or disappointed when opening the envelope containing my results. So whenever you feel lazy for revision, just think about results day and what you want to achieve.

In terms of revision advice, I'd recommend flash cards for Science and History, lots and lots and lots of past papers for Maths and English (for English and History, make sure you know how to answer each of the questions (use this YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff). For languages, use Quizlet or Memrise to learn vocab (you can find all of the vocab you'll need in the specification) - put all of this vocab into a set and memorise it (language to English).

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MiracleLeaf
One of the best motivations for me is imagining results day, and whether I want to be happy or disappointed when opening the envelope containing my results. So whenever you feel lazy for revision, just think about results day and what you want to achieve.

In terms of revision advice, I'd recommend flash cards for Science and History, lots and lots and lots of past papers for Maths and English (for English and History, make sure you know how to answer each of the questions (use this YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff). For languages, use Quizlet or Memrise to learn vocab (you can find all of the vocab you'll need in the specification) - put all of this vocab into a set and memorise it (language to English).

Good luck! :smile:

Thankyou! :smile:
Original post by Noorals
Thankyou! :smile:

No problem, I hope you do well in your exams :biggrin:
It's important to make a revision time table and stick to it, it's good to sit down and plan. See which subjects you need to revise the most and when you are most productive then plan according to that. It's good to wake up and know what you have to do during the day, it also helps prevent procrastination since everything becomes more real. I also have my gcse's in a month and i am feeling stressed, good luck !
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Noorals
Thank you.

Laziness tip; set yourself a routine. The idea of a revision timetable is a bit daft in my mind, but so long as you have periods of time in which you are scheduled to work and you stick to it, you'll soon fall into a routine. It's hard work for the month, but it's over very quickly. In the grand scheme of things, it's only one tedious month of your life.

General tips; for English, making notes and practicing essays was always the best way for me to revise. It isn't groundbreaking or interesting, but it works. Same goes for most humanities subjects. In honesty, laziness is the biggest thing to overcome! Also don't panic about the exams; people make a far bigger deal out of them than they actually are. You'll soon be at a stage in your life when you don't realise why you worried so much!
It's all here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375172

My personal ones:
- Past papers.
The same questions come up year on year. If you've already done the question, it'll be a breeze on the real thing.
- Mark Schemes.
Mark your answers yourself! Put yourself in the examiner's shoes and try to identify what they're looking for. If you've seen a very similar mark scheme to the questions in the real exam, then you'll know exactly what you need to cover in the exam.

These apply especially to Maths and Science and Geography and Spanish when there's a distinct answer. For English and History and other long-answer exams, still scrutinise your essays in detail, but don't do as many past papers because otherwise you'll lose the quality.
What i personally did is i made a revision timetable, not with any times but just the subjects i'd revise for each day, so it helps me to not get stressed.
For actual revision, i make brief notes of everything i've done in all subjects and then once i have those notes i just do past papers

Also, i think we all have to try to think positive so we don't get stressed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending