The Student Room Group

Only applying to one university?

I've based all my personal statement on this university. But, now I'm having second thoughts on whether this is too risky. I've seen plenty of Universities I'm interested in however this is the only university which has the exact subjects I want to study combined. If I apply to other universities I don't know how my personal statement would link, for example a bit on my personal statement is speaking about crime / criminal justice and some university courses don't have that available with the other chosen subject I've chose.
What I want to know is, if I don't get into this University. Is it still possible to apply for others through UCAS clearing/extra and be able to adapt my Personal Statement for those chosen courses?
This is the closest University for me, and I don't really want to move away. Although, I don't feel the need to due to the University having the exact subjects I would like to study. :smile:

Also, has anyone else decide to stay at home and commute to uni? I don't really want to miss out on all the student life, but I don't feel the need to when I live 30mins drive. Just worried about making friends and fitting in!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Why would you base your personal statement off of one Uni. That's not what Universities look for in a personal statement, they want to hear about how you are passionate about your subject, what you've done that shows you are interested in it and how why you want to pursue said subject. Universities don't really want to read about how much you like their university. If you want to have your writing cater towards individual universities go apply to the US.
Reply 2
Original post by Hannah96123
I haven't spoke about the exact university in my personal statement, I've spoke about the subjects. It's the only university which has the subjects I want so I don't know how it would combine to other universities if I applied for those also?

Interesting... then the only thing I can think of is try to make your statement a bit more general? I mean if you wanted to apply to more than one I guess thats your best bet
Reply 3
clearing allows u apply to any course without your personal statement .but u need the grades
Original post by NomNoms
clearing allows u apply to any course without your personal statement .but u need the grades

Clearing allows any universities you apply to to see the whole of your Ucas application, including the PS, which cannot be changed.
Original post by Emmasmith2010
I've based all my personal statement on this university. But, now I'm having second thoughts on whether this is too risky. I've seen plenty of Universities I'm interested in however this is the only university which has the exact subjects I want to study combined. If I apply to other universities I don't know how my personal statement would link, for example a bit on my personal statement is speaking about crime / criminal justice and some university courses don't have that available with the other chosen subject I've chose.
What I want to know is, if I don't get into this University. Is it still possible to apply for others through UCAS clearing/extra and be able to adapt my Personal Statement for those chosen courses?
This is the closest University for me, and I don't really want to move away. Although, I don't feel the need to due to the University having the exact subjects I would like to study. :smile:

Also, has anyone else decide to stay at home and commute to uni? I don't really want to miss out on all the student life, but I don't feel the need to when I live 30mins drive. Just worried about making friends and fitting in!

This is likely to be a short sighted policy. If you are unsuccessful at the single university you apply to, are you not intending to go to university at all? You only have one PS and it's perfectly possible to write a statement which will not rule out any other applications. This is a better course of action if you need to add other choices in later or enter Extra.
Reply 6
Original post by Emmasmith2010

Were you accepted at the one university you applied to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending