x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you feel safer being treated by a white doctor? watch

ReputationRep:
    And if so why?

ReputationRep:
    as long as they have the right qualifications I couldn't give a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Honestly, with all the 'equality' nonsense, I'd be more comfortable with those who I am sure have earned their place
    What's this supposed to mean?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, with all the 'equality' nonsense, I'd be more comfortable with those who I am sure have earned their place
    Woah

ReputationRep:
    U no. U no.

Its not much of an issue in healthcare, I'd imagine, since only a small proportion of doctors are white British. But anyway

http://rentaminority.com/
    Doctors all have an MBBS or some sort of qualification, ethnicity is irrelevant.

It seems like its white ppl are the ones using this lol

ReputationRep:
    As long as they do this, as soon as I get into their clinic:

ReputationRep:
    Did you want honest answers or not? Its the effect of 'drives for diversity in the workplace' and quotas.
    You gotta problem with the skin colour of your doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojo Banjo)
    And if so why?
    What country are you messaging from firstly? Seriously.
    The only people that I've seen who have had issues with the colour of a doctors skin have been the racist/ignorant type/mentally challenged.

Idc as long as they're hot :sexface:

My GP is a 50 year old

Trying to attract right wingers of TSR I see

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I'd feel more comfortable around a doctor that looked like me or had similar features relatable to me e.g. Ethnic backgorund/Fairly young/Female etc
    In general, I think people feel more at ease when they are around people that look like them

ReputationRep:
    Why does colour matter when they can save your life.

ReputationRep:
    These ppl have worked hard to become a doctor, give up their time for you and you spit in their faces and say 'i dont feel safe, you're not white' smh
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No, as long as they are qualified to treat patients then it doesn't matter for me. As long as it's not Dr Nick from the Simpsons.

ReputationRep:
    No (calm down), as I said its an unconscious bias, thanks to news like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3626788.stm

Which make ethnic employees look like tokens (rather racist, isn't it?) and reduces my trust in them, unfortunately.
    There's a difference between having a token receptionist in an awful media firm, and having a token qualified doctor, in that it doesn't matter if they're token - they're still fully qualified to treat you. It's actually not possible to have a token person in such a highly trained field - people there deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    The colour makes absolutely no difference in my mind. However, I met a few foreign doctors in British hospitals and found I struggled to understand what they say - their English wasn't brilliant or they had a thick accent, and this might worry me slightly if this was the case! While Im sure theyvwere very clever and good at their job, for being a doctor, communication is really important!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojo Banjo)
    And if so why?
    No, the exact opposite, pakistani and inidian doctors are more genuine.

I can never tell if white doctors really care about their patients.

ReputationRep:
    I've had Muslim drs since I were small and they are so detached and rough like tyhey're about to perform surgery or something. They just come in like "oo oo-kee. Get on de taburl an' I vill opan you up an' see vuts inside joo." It's like er ok nice to meet you too Dr. Kamal...I'm 4 can you be nicer, cheers?

Meanwhile a Dr. Mitchell lets me call her Dr. Kate and gives me candy for being a good lad :cool: lool

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.